54 years

>54 years
>this album still hasnt been surpassed

>296 years
>this work still hasn't been surpassed

Grimes's albums surpassed both of them

Not even the best Mingus (that would be Ah Uhm, Black Saint is too simplistic in its improvs and its arrangement isn't that special) forget being the best album

Not even the best Bach (Art Of Fugue or St Matthew Passion take that one) forget best in art music or music in general.

grimes voice: keeeeeek

Art of Fugue is gay

t. pleb who can't follow it all the way through.

Yuck

(you)

Why is this the only jazz album discussed here? I like it and all but you'd figure for as popular as this album is on this board we would have more discussion on different albums.

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is arguably the easiest jazz album ever to digest. The leading improvisations on it are more like cute pop hooks than full on improvisation that actual explores a variety of ideas and emotions, while its progressions are pretty simple as well. It also has a larger than average arrangement on it for a jazz record, courtesy of its third stream/classical and big band influences, which makes it seem more epic and gives an illusion of complexity even if most of the parts are just doing simple synchronized harmonization.

Definitely a great place to start for a person new to jazz, not the place to end though.

oh shit this thread BTFO

Go head, user, give em the Herbie

Honestly, even though I don't dig Herbie user, I would personally for sure put Herbie Hancock records like Maiden Voyage above The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady.

It's a concept album that manages to be atmospheric AND covers a wide range musical ideas/techniques through the improvisations. With its simple yet subtle chord voicings, unlike The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady which does very little with a lot, Maiden Voyage does a lot with very little since the different interpretations of each single chord can allow for more freedom of expression through improvisation.

I try to post Max Roach every now and then, but no one seems to give a shit. We Insist! is still to me the height of 60s jazz

I think that's a fair assessment from your perspective of jazz's quality being dependent on explorations.

I don't think it's fair to say that Black Saint is inherently awful in comparison to Maiden Voyage, because a lot of people seem to view quality in jazz differently.

I'm sure there are a lot of interesting ideas in Wes Montgomery's Smoking At The Half Note, but a lot of that stuff and stuff like it just doesn't move me like Alice Coltrane's Ptah the El Daoud.

If you disagree, I'm really interested to hear it. I don't think you're some arrogant asshole. I'm just a little bored and curious.

>tfw you're a fan of all types of jazz and a Grimes fan

feelsgoodman

>even though I don't dig Herbie user

Ouch.....

stop derailing the thread you fuck

Never said TBSATSL is awful though. It's just not on the absurdly high level people often put it at.

>I'm sure there are a lot of interesting ideas in Wes Montgomery's Smoking At The Half Note, but a lot of that stuff and stuff like it just doesn't move me like Alice Coltrane's Ptah the El Daoud.
I mean, if something personally moves you or whatever, that's not an opinion me or anyone else can change.

But yeah I would prefer Smoking, or hell even some of Alice's other stuff to Ptah. Ptah's just not that expressive as a jazz record, though it does have some pretty cool atmospheric stuff happening with the horns in different channels, and the harp/piano bits. It's sorta like pretty good proto-ambient in that regard, or smooth jazz done well.

The forced memeing I am not a fan of. You seem like a nice guy though.

>The forced memeing I am not a fan of.
I've been toning it down (for the most part) when not doing political threads.

>You seem like a nice guy though
Thanks

Opinion on pic related?
I actually think it's a great solo album, and really shows a different side to Mingus' playing

It's pretty good for sure. You can hear a pretty good range in terms of what he can do instrumentally on this record since it's just a piano.

I envy you. I'm just a Grimesfan and I dislike jazz.

Are you autistic ?

gtfo grimes

>The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is arguably the easiest jazz album ever to digest
That's Kind Of Blue and Shape Of Jazz.

Grimes its like the banana from ylyl threads.

Kind of Blues has a variety of improv stuff happening on it that I can easily see be lost onto someone new to jazz. Same with The Shape Of Jazz To Come's take on microtonality in jazz.

Listening to it for the first time right now, not a fan of jazz, never gave the time to it, and im loving it right now :)

So what is the most hardest jazz album to digest you?

*In your opinion
I can't type.

Not sure if there's one hardest. Some that come to mind:

Ornette Coleman's stuff like Free Jazz because for the listener there's both an individual instrumental level and one where all these disparate parts interact that they have to think about.

Wadada Leo Smith's Ten Freedom Summers is too fucking long and it's pretty busy, so it takes a while to get all the way through and wrap your head around.

Henry Threadgill's last couple like In For A Penny In For A Pound or Old Locks And Irregular Verbs have too much happening at once with very subtle takes on the genre, so it becomes very easy to confuse the stuff as random dissonant noodling (even more so than the works of some like Coleman or Brotzmann)

I just downloaded "speak, brother, speak!". What am I in for?