Should I learn Japanese?

I grew up here so I can speak it fine. I can read some Kanji but I cant write shit or read newspapers etc

Should I invest time to read Kanji?

I know the meaning of most Kanji but I dont know the yomi reading of most kanji combinations which you learn through memorizing mostly.

I feel like investing my time in learning Chinese would be better since im already familiar with the character.

Im going to leave here when im 20 and I wont use it again unless I watch anime :/

>Can't read newspaper
LoL
Can you read all of 常用漢字?

for example cant read what you typed.

I mean I can read 用漢字 but idk how to read 常 especially when combined with 用

>I grew up here
how come you have no such Japanese literacy?

中学校からインターナショナルスクールに行ってました

とくに敬語はしゃべれません

両親が外国人?

That's too bad. My parents are (or used to be, I guess) expats in China and I changed school a couple times. I ended up going to an international bilingual English/Chinese school where I learned proper Mandarin until grade 4. Some international schools just don't prioritize teaching Mandarin/Japanese/whatever properly.

I really think you should learn kanji, it's a very valuable skill, and with all the online methods out there you don't really have much of an excuse.

...that's weird.
Shouldn't you be able to read if you grew up in Japan?

Anyway, depends where you're going, and what you're planning to do.

If for example you're going to US Silicone Valley, or something similar, Japanese can come in handy because there's a lot of cooperation with Japanese hi-tech companies.
But if you'll end up being baker in Canada - probably not much.

>Can't read 常
What

I'm foreigner but can read more kanji than you

Stop watching anime and Study kanji for your life.

No. First of all its not an alphabet. Kanji is an accumulation of knowledge over years. I went to American highschool in Japan so i dint get higher kanji exposure

Japan isnt a melting pot but a very insular society. This means that you can live here in your little gaijin community and not get exposed to Japanese culture at all.

I know some gaijins that live and grew up here that dont speak a word of Japanese.

I can guess it's read as じょう but I can't be certain.

Why did you go to the international high school? Are you white?

hafu

If you're going to leave, then why bother. Just enjoy life in Japan until then.

>enjoy life in Japan

what is this paradox.

The only thing good here is the food, convenience store, and the feminine women

Let's welcome our new hafu classmate.

Anime, ninja, harakiri, seppuku. hehehe

A minute from here is a place where over 100 men were beheaded during the sengoku period lol

Theres a haunted apartment on the spot kek

OP have you read the DJT guide yet? look into remembering the kanji and then maybe go through core10k deck with anki. you can probably go through that in 6 months and you will be able to read and write 80% of Japanese, then you should just start reading books and you will be done with the entire writing system in under a year. even people who start with no knowledge of Japanese manage this so it should be super easy for you. djt.neocities.org

i hate those tards who arent sure if they should do or not

I should clarify 'remembering the kanji' should have been in quotes, it's a book. You can download from the guide

にほんごは ひらがなと カタカナで じゅうぶんだよ。 しょうしかが すすんで いみんも ふえれば なしくずしに かなのみの ぶんしょうも ふえてくると おもうよ。

It's useful if you treat it as a stepping stone, but as with many methods designed to speed up learning for beginners, it strikes me as something that can easily end up becoming a crutch. Native Japanese speakers don't try to see little pictures in every character they write, so if you get used to doing that, it'll hold you back in the long run.

Yes
Its a good business language

False, no it absolutely doesn't hold you back in the long run. Forgetting how to write the kanji will hold you back in the long run. Which is exactly what will happen unless you spend 6 years learning Kanji and reading it every day as Japanese people do.

Don't forget there would be tons of CHINESE immigrants