"Pure jazz"

In La La Land Ryan Gosling says he wants to play jazz as long as it's "pure"

What is pure jazz and what did he mean by this

>what did he mean by this
what did he mean by this

What a piece of shit movie, couldn't even win an award competing with a movie about literal gay niggas

I guess he meant "jazz that isn't fusion"

this

this

>La La Land

fuck off

I didn't want to watch a faggot movie like this either, but it was bretty gud desu

>disgusting whore, wasted quints

no u

>pure jazz
It's a metaphor for race, I think

who is this snitch bitch

It's your future mom. And you're a mulatto.

>your future mom
what

Both movies are mediocre/sub-par. Oscars are shit; they're just popularity contest.

Not even that, they're propaganda.

So around the 70s, musicians like Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis were bringing electric instruments into the jazz world and mixing elements of rock music and funk into their sound. Albums like Herbie's "Headhunters" and Miles' "Bitches Brew" are good examples of this.

This brought purists out of the woodwork. Wynton Marsalis being a very vocal jazz purist (just as an example). These guys hated electric instruments and the incorporation of non-jazz elements into the style. So they rejected the fusion movement and claimed that jazz had died. They then became obsessed with reliving the glory days and worshiping the great Duke Ellington and insisting that swing (and a bit of bebop) is the only thing that you can really call jazz.

But the fag in the movie who advocates for pure jazz uses an electric piano

The whole idea of the film is struggling to get what you want in life.

That's why Ryan Gosling is a jazz purist who is forced to whore himself out playing electronic drivel that he hates in order to make a living.

Gosling's band IRL is pretty good though

>they're just popularity contest

of what? moonlight and la la land are far from being the highest grossing movies of the year

Yeah, but it's not what he wants to do.

It's equivalent to an IDM DJ getting a gig doing brostep. Or a death metal guitarist getting a gig playing pop punk.

It's like yeah great they're probably playing something that the fanbase loves, but they don't necessarily enjoy it or feel fulfilled doing it. It's a common dilemma for professional musicians. Do what you what you love, or do what pays?

No funk allowed! Funk B A D! Only pure jazz good! Get off my lawn, kids!

>musicians like Herbie Hancock

D I D S O M E O N E S A Y....

Yeah but moonlight was actually not shit