Why can't I beat my depression Sup Forums? I know what I need to do, I just can't make myself do it...

Why can't I beat my depression Sup Forums? I know what I need to do, I just can't make myself do it. The depression makes it feel impossible to take the actions necessary to overcome it. How do I strengthen my willpower and get/stay motivated when my mind is fighting me every step of the way? Also, general depression/mental illness thread

bump

depression is a deflated ego. figure out why its deflated and work to fix it.

Stop being a little bitch

Exercise more. I started forcing myself to run every day after work for 30 mins and I feel so much fucking better.

Just kill yourself, people do it all the time

I know exercise is a big part of it, but how did you force yourself to do it?

I've considered it. But, what if hell is real and worse than this? Don't wanna be stuck there for eternity.

You aren't depressed, you're "Lazy": unwilling to do what is necessary.

wow you really are a fucking pussy

First thing I do when I get home is put on my running clothes and then I just do it. The secret is to not think about it even for a second just do it.

Literally just put your shoes on and get out and run
Get a doggo, forces you to pull your shit together and also makes a great companion (a reason for "sticking around" if you catch my drift)
Cook your own meals. Cooking is a great way to get absorbed and forget all your problems. Will be hundred times better than readymeal shit.
Recognise that there is always someone who is suffering much worse than you, no matter how sad you get

I think you're on the right track by veiwing depression as a condition, doing so allows you to tack a step back from your thoughts and analyze them knowing that they've passed through your depression filter. The next step from there is to sort your thoughts from helpful and unhelpful, paranoid from rational, baseless from evident.

Analyzing thoughts can also give you some insight to where your depression is feeding, keep track of negative thoughts to isolate the problem, intellect, body image, social skills for example. Take action based on the evidence you find.

But basically depression is a disease of the mind, and like all diseases its end game is to kill you. It's invisible and insidious which makes it all the more dangerous. The best thing you could donif you want to fight it is to get professional help and stick to it. This isn't a rut or a funk that will eventually pass, you're living with a disease that can potentially kill you. And if you think "well, maybe dying isn't so bad" That's depression talking.

Wow, that is the gayest way you could answer a legitimate question.

Do heroin. Or pills. You will feel like the best person on the planet and you will be undepressed for the first time in your life.

Maybe you should start get used to the idea that is not a phase that will pass but that you are going to stay that way for your rest of your life. Just give up man. Maybe then you find peace.

I was diagnosed with major depression at a young age. I've been through years of therapy and medication, none of which helped. I believe that ultimately, the only person that can fix me, is me and me alone. I'll never kill myself intentionally, but I've been ready to die for years.

I know what I need to do to get better, I just can't muster up the motivation to do it or stick to it. I'd rather just sit here and wait to die. That's the part I need help with, but I don't know how to get that help or who to even ask. Motivational talks just irritate me and make me want to do things less. People telling me what, how, and when to do things has the same effect. I have dreams, ambitions, and desires. I just can't make myself go out and accomplish things. Every now and then I'll have a good day and complete a couple small goals. That makes me feel better, and I tell myself I'm going to wake up tomorrow and go out and accomplish a couple more things. Then, the next morning I wake up and just want to die

Join a gym and then all you have to do is walk into the door. You'll think everyone is watching your every single action, because they are. You'll be to embarrassed to leave until after a reasonable amount of time, otherwise they will JUDGE you. In the end, you'll spend about an hour there, even if it's just walking on the treadmill. Still better than sitting on your fatass doing nothing.

I've tried, opiates don't do anything for me. I've done all kinds, up to and including smoking opium. They don't help my pain or fuck me up.

I am a member at a gym. I was doing alright, but stopped going 2 weeks ago. I tell myself every day that I'm gonna go, then I don't. I sit all day and stare at a wall in silence.

I feel you, OP... what works for me is exchange programs. When I'm abroad life is so much easier. than I starts getting sad again and its time to come back. than I drift for a year or more, and than sign up again. next year I'm going on my 4th year abroad (started in 2005).
been to the US twice, france and germany once.

This!

Myself and my brother struggled with depression. He killed himself. I went on to become a millionaire. I live an amazing life.

The difference between the two of us was exercise and medication. He took meds.

Stepping out of your comfort zone and being a hunter/gatherer makes a huge difference.

Godspeed user.

You're a good person, user.

well the bitter truth i came to personally is that the only way to deal with it is to live through it time and time again. depression is episodic, which means that the likelihood of relapsing is extremely high, you emerge and relapse, the important thing is to get up on your feet again and fight it. it never hits you as hard as the first time, when you're unprepared. don't be ashamed to admit that it struck you again, focus on the things you still can do instead. consider therapy, maybe even hospitalization and medication, but be aware that there are other factors that are just as important. try to structure your day with apointments, best case being a steady job. sleep early, get up early, don't drink, eat healthy and meet friends and family. try to learn some meditation/relaxation methods like PMR and cultivate your hobbies. be sure to get as much fresh air and sunlight each day as possible. and the most important thing: hang in there. during a depression everything is behind a grey veil and it tempts you to tink that it will never be better, but don't ever fall for that! focus on the floor in front of you and take baby steps. don't be ashamed if things are hard for you that others - and as a matter of fact YOU when you're not in a depressive episode - do with ease. maybe you won't have enough energy to run 10 miles, but you'll always have enough to get your ass up and take a walk. i've crashed and burned so many times, lost jobs, failed university, gained 100 pounds, total loner, but every time i got knocked down i got up again and finally i felt strong enough to take my life back. maybe you're faster or slower than me, but it will happen.

Lol, then you are doing them wrong.
But continue doing them wrong, because it is a rough fucking road when you need them.

Most helpful reply so far. Thanks user.

How do you do them wrong? I've popped them, snorted them, and smoked them. Vikes, percs, oxys, roxys, heroin, opium, all in various amounts. I've done the synthetics as well, subutex, suboxone, and methadone. none of them have ever had any effect on me good or bad. Its a curse and a blessing. When a friend offers me anything of the sort, I just tell them it would be a waste of their valuable drugs. I like weed, benzos, and psychedelics.

And cocaine, cocaine is nice. Meth is useless though

What's your dosage? How many milligrams?

goes without saying that each and every drug facilitates depression, next to killing you more or less slowly anyways. even the seemingly harmless weed is about the worst thing you can consume during depression. never ever trust someone who tells you to take drugs to feel better. jesus what is this, 3rd grade?!