Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1813

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lkq4iobhmF0
youtube.com/watch?v=hNgAKjp-_JE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gairaigo_and_wasei-eigo_terms
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10010877611000/k10010877611000.html
mega.nz/#F!VE4TnazD!SRdWbSR2tQtPedasrwYuJA
mega.nz/#F!9AQV3bBJ!E0czn4WJFv78e90Mcw-fGg
mega.nz/#F!RJBRVbLS!NsiDXfHJC-d50ebDmc2D-g
mega.nz/#F!0BZ32LSC!s0DQB9i0lEOTWFAn3u5ACg
mega.nz/#F!sBYhyQoY!3GQHSy3jPrV4cXL2XGuK7g
mega.nz/#F!5NhmGLiB!PIgjpG3rVLhjw8UpsOcXrQ
takiji-library.jp/announce/2007/20070927.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, hello? What website is this? Thank you.

明日のことは、明日にならないとわからない。わからないからこそ、生きている意味があるのかもしれない。
Dafuq does it mean?

Duolingo. Not a Japanese course, but rather an English course for Japanese speakers.

It's kind of a reverse-engineered solution to study, but it's nice. Two more days until I finish the entire tree.

Эй, мoя oчepeдь зaдaвaть вoпpoc былa!

Also, disable voice recording exercises, as they will all be English pronunciation and will take up slots of potential EN-JP exercises.

ありがとう先輩

You can't know what will happen tomorrow until tomorrow. As you don't know, Perhaps, there are meaning at your life.

I won't bother to try to translate it directly... basically "you don't know what tomorrow will bring, maybe even because of this (not knowing) life has a meaning, right"

What are you reading, user?
Sounds interesting.

>活動写真の前は人形浄瑠璃の語りもやっててネ
What does の語りもやっててネ mean?

They did 人形浄瑠璃の語り before 活動写真.

やって/て/ネ
verb/quote/emphasis

That i know. But can't understand 語りもやって.
Bunraku too talk?

*They did 人形浄瑠璃の語り before 活動写真.
Please tell me about 人形浄瑠璃 that people did before 活動写真.

sorry for mistranslation.

can you tell me about 人形浄瑠璃 that people did before 活動写真.

>語りもやって
I think this means the narration (of a story) that was done as well

>語りもやって
語るー語り

語りをやる ー give speech/talking or like that

Thank.

日本語総まとめ N3 文法
>As you don't know, Perhaps, there are >meaning at your life.
>maybe even because of this (not knowing) life >has a meaning, right
I figured as much, but I see no logic in this statement.

>but I see no logic in this statement.
Life is bleak in Russia

How do you know?

What is ハミハミ?

youtu.be/lkq4iobhmF0

apparently nibbling

Is it normal to have trouble with katakana past the initial beginner stage? I'm by no means fluent or even advanced, but I can at least read "normal" VNs without a texthooker, and yet I often need to sub-vocalize katakana words to figure them out unless it's extremely common stuff that I see all the time. How do I fix this? Is it even possible to fix it?

>明日のことは、明日にならないとわからない。わからないからこそ、生きている意味があるのかもしれない。
The sentence doesn't make sense, does it?

youtube.com/watch?v=hNgAKjp-_JE

is there any cool cooking book in japanese I can download?

I don't get it...

Neither do they.

katakana suck, I don't like reading them either

personally I think the biggest problem with katakana is their retarded way of spelling foreign words, mostly english though... when you read japanese movie titles of hollywood movies for example you feel like getting a stroke
it's not so much about the actual symbols but their content I guess

Yep, pretty much. I also have troubles with reading (and writing) katakana words, but, just like most vocabulary, once you get used to it it becomes easy to spot and read.
We just assume it's hard because it's an "obvious" word to our foreigner eyes, but coded in a strange way. If you really think about it, it's still easier to learn than complex kanji stuff or onomatopoeic words.

>How do I fix this?
SRS of course!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gairaigo_and_wasei-eigo_terms
Just copy paste this table in google sheets and download them as a comma separated file which you then can use to import into anki.

The meanings, origins, ect... aren't important. Just focus on the katakana and romanization.

Also make sure you put it on "show in random order"

カーリー・クロスの件
何が腹立つって、日本人の感覚度外視に勝手に「差別だ」と騒いでるとこやね。
まさに差別を題材にビジネスやってる奴らの本性が丸見えの案件
結局奴らは当事者の思いはどうでもよく、何でもかんでも「差別」と騒いで、相手がひれ伏すのを見て優越感に浸る、ただのサイコパス

>ロケットが524km上がるまでの30分ぐらいの間に、人工衛星は28の場所で軌道に入って飛び始めました。
Need some help here. まで is confusing me here. Does it mean it will do it for 30 min after it reached 524km, or will do it for 30 min until it reached 524km?

for context:
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10010877611000/k10010877611000.html

Until

Osaka is someone you experience, not understand.

私波迷惑為る乃御免為さい!
Boy, I will incrementally do this as I learn more of these.

But would writing 為た be wrong?

Niiiice.
About 留左以, are these only visually etymological, or grammatically as well?

Can someone give me a basic gestalt?

I thought that the correct particle to use with verbs was 'を' but I'm doing Duolingo English for Japs and this is how they say Taro and I eat.

太郎と私は食べます。

は instead of を.

dareka tasukete?

>mfw I realised that the hardest part of learning Japanese isn't keigo or kanji, it's all the fucking onomatopoeia

Complete Tae kim before doing duolingo.
duolingo wont teach you jack shit, it's just helpful for some practice once you already know grammar.

>太郎と私は食べます。
Taro and I eat

>太郎と私を食べます。
(someone or something) is eating Taro and I

Any ideas?
Does it actually make sense or not?
Because I can't see any.

とろとろに勉強したらなかなかでこぼこになるね!

>I thought that the correct particle to use with verbs was 'を'
を marks the direct object of a verb (not all verbs take direct objects - revise transitive and intransitive verbs).
Also keep in mind that particles describe the word in front of them - you shouldn't think "I'm using a verb so I'll add an を before it", but instead think "this word is the direct object so I'm adding を to the end of it".
It's the particles themselves that describe the word's function in a sentence, not the order like in English. You can actually play around with word order because as long as you still have the right particles attached to the words it'll still make sense.
Belgium already answered your question but I also wanted to point out that は can actually replace を if the object is also the topic (even though that isn't actually the case here).

to me it makes sense, grammatically and contentwise eventhough it's fortune cookie wisdom

Thank you for your very detailed response.

in japan they say "私はたわごとを食べる" which means "your eyes are stars" and i think that's beautiful

>It is that you cannot know what tomorrow brings which makes live worth living.
Thanks! Now I see what they were trying to say. Even though it's utter bullshit.

what's up with the deleted comments all the time?

It's just the one aussie doing it isn't it. Ask him.

>get 50-60% review correct rate in anki for months
>ask in /djt/
>get told to review forgotten cards at night
>now getting 65-75% on reviews
what else am i doing wrong?

Posting on here instead of learning

Not reading.

try decreasing starting ease to 200%
and change steps to 1 5 10 20
help us out anyway

4チャンです

地獄恋すてふ
mega.nz/#F!VE4TnazD!SRdWbSR2tQtPedasrwYuJA

ヘルベチカスタンダード
mega.nz/#F!9AQV3bBJ!E0czn4WJFv78e90Mcw-fGg

かぐや様は告らせたい~天才たちの恋愛頭脳戦~
第1~4巻
mega.nz/#F!RJBRVbLS!NsiDXfHJC-d50ebDmc2D-g

大家さんは思春期!
第1~6巻
mega.nz/#F!0BZ32LSC!s0DQB9i0lEOTWFAn3u5ACg

りぶねす
第1~6巻
mega.nz/#F!sBYhyQoY!3GQHSy3jPrV4cXL2XGuK7g

>明日のことは、明日にならないとわからない。
As to what tomorrow holds, we cannot know until it becomes tomorrow.
>わからないからこそ、生きている意味があるのかもしれない。
And perhaps precisely because we cannot know, there is meaning in being alive.

Can you post a random page of that manga?

ガヴリールドロップアウト
第1~4巻

どこ?

ここに
mega.nz/#F!5NhmGLiB!PIgjpG3rVLhjw8UpsOcXrQ

サンキュウー

What's the difference between shi and yon?

On- and kun-yomi.
If you use し for 4, you should also use しち for 7. If you use よん, you should use なな. Just pick one and be consistent. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Does anyone use HelloTalk

How useful is it?

Also if there is a counter attached to the number, you are sometimes forced to use one reading or the other. So for example 四月 is always しがつ and never よんがつ, while 四時 is always よじ and never しじ. You just have to memorize all of these as you go.

But if you're just doing math or something it doesn't matter.

how many new cards a day do you do? When I did 0 new cards a day for a while I got >95% retention, but now that I'm doing 60 new a day I'm at ~60%.

How should I get started on learning Japanese?
I'm fucken lost desu but Japanese is all my grandma speaks and it doesn't feel too good knowing a ton of weebs know more Japanese than me

Spend some time with her while you have the chance

I'm going to Japan next month but I want to be able to have a simple conversation in Japanese by then

Any apps for learning Japanese, specifically with memorizing Katakana? I'm taking a course at my university and we've learned Hiragana. Now we are doing Katakana and I'm having trouble memorizing the ones like キヤ & ジョ. Plus I find myself with lots of idle time at work especially during breaks where I think I could use that time to practice.

>s
maybe you should ask your grandma you privliged fuck

I'll leave the recommendations to someone more experienced but keep in mind that a ton of weebs put a lot of time into it. I don't think you can have an (arbitrary) simple conversation in Japanese in a month.

She can't speak English much at all though
Yea I've heard Japanese takes a while to learn, but for now I think basic phrases will do.

i think you should focus on learning hiragana and basic grammar so that you understand the basics of how the japanese language works. i then suggest getting a few children's picture books and letting her read them for you, and you could try reading for her. teaching a language is very difficult, and trying to have a conversation will be difficult too. but reading a book together can be a shared experience despite the language barrier, that you can learn from. i'm sure she would be happy too that you want to learn japanese.

Anyone can recommend me an online shop for buying Japanese learning books for cheap? (in europe)

I'm interested in books like Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course, DoJG and Minna no Nihongo.

Yes I downloaded the pdfs but I would like to own the books so I can take them with me.

it's not cheap but amazon.co.jp ships worldwide and they're fast. They deal with import taxes too. The main problem is that shipping costs a lot.

>Yes I downloaded the pdfs but I would like to own the books so I can take them with me.
Get a tablet instead.

>その……、×××××が、×××××できる×××××を捜しているんです」
why does キノ have such a potty mouth

>春香もそろそろ次… なんじゃないですか
What does そろそろ次 mean?

Help I want to stop using Anki but I can't

All context:
>それも大事ですけど春香もそろそろ次… なんじゃないですか
>つぎ? 何のこと

>つぎ? 何のこと
Even japs don't know what 次 means at that context.

Nice joke.

Can anyone help me with this page? Can't quite understand what she's saying in that last bubble/

I'm glad it's worked out for you hon.

When you do fuck up a word, what usually trips you? The reading or the meaning? How to proceed depends on the problem.

apparently it means in this context something like she's getting put aside/neglected

Crab Cannery Ship, a classic communist work, available as both text and manga for free:

takiji-library.jp/announce/2007/20070927.html

Read the guide.

>next month
>simple conversation
Hahaha, good luck.

>that weird stage where your getting enough to be able to follow through, but not good enough to get the nuances
I hate that shit.
I hope it won't last for more than three months.

Can't they ever hire good artists for propaganda?

all of adults decide the things only in their mind
with neglecting me.

I read the first volume of YrYr with an English translation available to check every time I didn't get anything. Would check every other panel.
Now I'm doing the same with vol. 2 and checking barely every other page, and for points that are not so key to the story.

This is going faster than I thought.
I learned English playing FFV, in the beginning I couldn't for the life of me say why the pirates kept shouting "hat" (Cap'n! Cap'n! Cap'n!), and by the end I was understanding pretty much all of the story.
FF is what, 50 hours long at best?

I guess we also get better at getting nuance and vocabulary in a specific type of work after getting used to it, staying in the same universe with the same expectations of characters creates a sense of confidence.