I'm an ER x-ray tech at a major lvl 1 trauma hospital. Ask me anything

I'm an ER x-ray tech at a major lvl 1 trauma hospital. Ask me anything.

>Disclaimer: no pics that I post are my own patients. HIPAA and all. GIS FTW.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whats wrong with my hip?

what does it mean if i get an xray and it shows a big cock inside me
also have you had anyone come in who had big cocks or other foreign objects inside them

If you got an x-ray and it showed a big cock inside of you, there'd be a second person in the x-ray, and we don't tend to image more than one person at a time. Also, the only object inside anyone I've ever seen was a D-battery in a 12 yr-old girl's vajay-jay.

But I've seen x-rays of big cocks, especially when you shoot a pelvis. Pic related.

>a D-battery in a 12 yr-old girl's vajay-jay
nice, you are my hero

Compression fracture of the proximal femur, probably. What's funny though, is that "Throckmorton's Sign." Your cock will almost always point toward the broken hip. No lie.

I have no idea how they got it out. I mean, it seems pretty simple to me, but still...

bump. FYI, smokers' lungs are way longer than normal peoples' lungs. If you smoke, you're a pain in the ass to x-ray.

Ever seen evidence of implanted alien technology?

You guys always seem chill...sometimes I think I would have enjoyed doing x-ray more than RN. What kind of salary do you dudes make anyway (on average)?

Doubtful. Closest I've come is a pacemaker, which is implanted non-alien technology.

are you ever worried the ultrasound fags will take your clients?

I work overnights, so I make $26/hr, plus night differential and weekend differential when I work weekends. It ends up being about $28-30/hr, which comes out to about 55-60k a year, depending on holidays and vacation, etc. No complaints.

Y'all put up with more just... terrible... stuff than we do. You should get paid a bit more than us.

Whats the strangest foreign object youve seen inserted into someone

"Diagnosis: flat battery. Replace the D-cell."

It's not a competition. Ultrasound is good for certain things and x-ray is good for certain things. Oftentimes, we'll both have to image the same patient.

Bone doesn't really show up on an ultrasound (it's a black shadow), but soft tissue is hard to image with x-ray.

How fake is this? Or isn't it?

kewl. i'd rather imagine medicalbros cooperating on a diagnosis than trying to sabotage each other.

btw i faked this one using deluxepaint IV

The battery, which I mentioned above. Otherwise, just big-ass splinters, glass, a few metal fragments from a car accident, bullets...

How else are you gonna get the lightbulb out?

I think in general...everyone on the healthcare team generally tries not to fuck over other departments...because that will ultimately fuck you over.

However! We do fuck each other over pretty often in the same field. Ex: RN vs Night RN. Shit gets cold yo.

Might be real. It looks like an old film hardcopy that was scanned. But hey, people stick things up there all the time, even I haven't had that patient before.

Nah, we just image what we can when we're asked to. The hospital is mostly a "same team" mentality, even if there is competition for time. Everyone has to leave the room for an x-ray because RADIATION, so nurses, doctors, etc. always think they can "just finish this thing real quick," before I shoot the x-ray.

Your photoshop is killer, tho. It's a shitty (or just really, really, old) L-spine x-ray with a nice nanner on top.

>Your photoshop is killer, tho. It's a shitty (or just really, really, old) L-spine x-ray with a nice nanner on top.

thanks, but it's deluxepaint IV. commodore amiga. i did it about 20 years ago, before we had color scanners. Jennifer Keyte was a newsreader who, it is rumored, had to visit ER after being brutally sodomised by a rock musician named Johnny Diesel.

I mentioned it before, but there kinda is a "that OTHER department doesn't know what they're doing" feel. We complain that the RNs don't place good draw sheets (which help us take nice, easy x-rays in patient beds), and I'm sure the RNs complain that we always fuck up their beds by moving wedges, etc.

Googled it. Beer bottle? Ouch.

Ah, haha that is true. Just got that bed all squared away...and just put up some IVabx...then PT comes around and wants to work with them and fuck things up.

Never had probs with xray though...unless some MD puts in a stat order and the tech shows up like four hours later and I get reamed for it. But...meh.

Bump again.

I've seen unimaginable amounts of blood, especially when in the OR during an amputation of a ham planet's leg. Pic is the closest thing I could find, but it's not actually that close.

she lived it down and kept working in the field.

he didn't. HAHAHAHA

I dunno what happened. I meant to post this pic... hoping it's the right one?

I don't know how it is with you, but we get more stat orders than not. So when they're ALL stat, we have to just go in order from one end of the unit to the other. Med students will come up to us and be like, "hey we put in a stat order for a chest x-ray!" All I can say is, "well, okay... which one?"

Bummer.

youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

That explains a lot actually. Never thought about how the majority of your orders must be stat. Interesting... it's shit like this that should be more common knowledge.

Bump.

One would think, right? Since I work nights, we get between 30-50 AM portables that all drop at about 12:30, so we just get crackin' on them ASAP. A lot are "stat" and some aren't, but if you ordered an AM at 6:00pm before you left for the day, why the fuck would you label it "stat" knowing it wouldn't even show up on our list until after midnight? People think they can manipulate the "stat" designation just to get their shit done quicker, but when they're ALL stat, it just makes it worse. The only way we know if something needs to be done right now is if we get a call about it, because we're busy working on the mountain of stats.

I'm claustrophobic and need an MRI of my brain. How do I get through it? I'm talking about at least an hour in the machine. I have visual snow. It's causing a lot of issues and there may be an underlying cause which could be terrifying. Or not. Could be medication related and I could get better since they switched the meds. Problem is that xanax probably isn't going to get me through this. Tried once already. Had to reschedule and agree to take my meds before going in.

Honestly, I'm not sure. There are open MRI machines that might make it easier, and the Xanax will help some. Take more than they suggest and hope you find a nice twilight-sleep state without going completely out where you might stir a little. For most people it's not the claustrophobia, but the fact that you have to be absolutely still for a long time and you get uncomfortable.

Saw one like this last weekend. Motorcyclist was hit by a car, hit-and-run. Dude lost his leg, and they may never know who hit him.

Look at the reasons, if its for a followup then its not stat, despite how it shows up in the priority category. Only respiratory and tube confirmation are viewed as urgent. Year one residents always abuse the hell of the stat orders, especially female docs.

To be fair, if the order is for a line placement chest or abdomen, we don't always know if it's because they JUST put it in, or if it's because we have to do one every night when they have an NG or chest tube or something. Patients pull tubes out or they need to be changed sometimes. It's just hard to parse that out when you're handed 12 portables in one area, 8 stats, all at once.

That is one hung broken hipped motherfucker

Ouch. How come the amputated the leg? Was the bone damage unrepairable even with surgery and metal implants? Or was it other complications?

Honestly? Black dudes. They're all showers, not growers. I see a lot of dicks at my job.

They spent about 6 hours in surgery to try and save it, but usually it comes down to bloodflow. If they can't get a pulse beyond a certain point, the rest has to go before it becomes septic. No feeling and no bloodflow = already starting to die.

Bump.