Tfw you realize some musicians can write and read music out on paper

>tfw you realize some musicians can write and read music out on paper

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TjE896B2QUE
youtu.be/k8t45eCC0zM
youtu.be/QBbVnw-B3Zw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just love that gif.

Wait, are you saying that some musicians can't do that?

You think Animal Collective can?

HEY EVERYONE, TO EXPLAIN THE JOKE, THIS GUY IS IMPLYING HE IS SO SMART AND NEXT LEVEL THAT HE JUST CANNOT SIMPLY BELIEVE PEOPLE STRUGGLE AND FIND IT HARD TO KNOW AND READ MUSIC.

WOW.

GENIUS.

>knowing music theory

lmao do you think jimi hendrix would've found those crazy melodies and chords if he was stuck with the preconceived notions that 99% of professional musicians have?

you want to make truly original music? don't learn theory

yes, what makes you think they can't?

Dude your analogy there, or w/e you call it is legit. I'm gonna save that and tell people next time they say it.

hendrix did nothing that went outside the boundaries of western theory, sorry lads

not even close

>imblying anything other than western theory matters

lmao, no

sorry dude, hundreds of years before civilisations that could be called "western" in the modern sense of the even existed there were people forming the basis of the music we listen to and create today

for instance the 12 tone chromatic scale i.e the basis of literally every piece of music 99% of people here consume only exists because some chinese emperor created it around 200 BCE

Yeah I was thinking he was more innovative as far as guitar tone and whatnot

desu hendrix created sounds and timbres on the electric guitar that did not fit anywhere into the chromatic scale
his was a perfect example actually. sticking to theory wouldn't have created something like 'machine gun'

you realise musique concrete started in the fucking 30s right lmfao

sheesh

that doesn't make the example any less valid

Hendrix "knew" theory because he was good at musicing but he likely didn't know theory as in taking classes on it and learning that shit
So maybe you have to know theory but not really KNOW KNOW theory if I don't sound compeltely fucking retarded

no, it makes perfect sense and yes you're completely right

hendrix might not have known much theory in any academic way but he still understood it in his own way

>only exists because some chinese emperor created it around 200 BCE

lmao no

that shit has persisted because it hits just right something in our lizard brain

that's essential for us to perceive something as music, we can't be taught to like any kind of thing as music, we're limited by human brain's perception of sounds and what it finds pleasant

of course there can be a lot of variance inbetween those boundaries but the boundaries themselves are more or less set in stone. the weirdest atonal shit will never fly with the majority of population

If you try to break rules without knowing what rules you're breaking it's going to sound like literal shit

When it comes to writing music, if you don't know the rules you're not breaking them, you're just making what sounds good

Imagine trying to draw but you only have four colors, meanwhile the kid next to you has colors you've never even seen before.

If you're using any western instrument, it uses western temperament and has western scales and western chords that can be constructed.

You need to thoroughly understand why some rules exist and how they work before you can break them if you want to make anything that isn't noise music on western instruments.

All of the scales and chords Hendrix used can be made from pretty simple chord construction and experimentation, they aren't anything special. Hendrix's magic wasn't in some secret patterns he discovered, it was just that he was a really damn good guitar player who paired an innovative tone with masterful phrasing and extremely musical playing.

I love your autism! Could you consider killing yourself before sunrise, though?

Oh my I hope you don't have an inferiority complex over not being able to read music. Because that would be pretty pathetic, wouldn't it? I'm glad we agree.

This. Same thing for Grimes and her quirky music.

Oh, great. You're even here. Apparently no amount of containment threads are enough.

kpop sticks to it's containment thread, you should do

>Jimi Hendrix
>Crazy melodies and chords
We're not talking about Allan Holdsworth here. He's really something else. Just listen to these:
youtu.be/TjE896B2QUE
youtu.be/k8t45eCC0zM
youtu.be/QBbVnw-B3Zw

>le containment memesters are back

because their music is shit

>mfw I learned theory like a fucking madman for over a year
>mfw at the end of it I realized "wow there is a justification for every note choice, it really doesn't matter at all what you do as long as it sounds good"

You really can do pretty much anything. Pick any chord and move one of the notes up or down a whole step/half step and you can slide around keys like a madman. As long as you don't move a bunch of notes into a non diatonic place all at once nearly everything works.

You learn to get tons more mileage out of chord progressions by just trying different chordal tones as bass notes. Just learning your scales is all you really need desu. The best thing you can do is learn the basic major triad for all keys. If you know them you can always reverse engineer the other scale degrees. For ex I memorized that A major is A C# E so even now very quickly I know the VI is F#, the flat III is C, the VII is G# the flat VII is G the IV is D etc. It's really quite easy since many keys are just flats and sharps so if you know that B is B D# F# you know that Bb is Bb D F (you just flatten all three), then you can add say a whole step to the F to find relative minor (G) or add a whole step to the D for the IV (E). Basically what I'm saying is by memorizing something very simple you actually unlock a ton of power and you rarely get lost.

I'm at a point where I literally learned it and realized I could forget nearly all of it as long as I remembered a few principles. But it does help tremendously and in NO way constrains you creatively. I never write songs theory first. I just noodle until I find something and then I figure out what I'm doing after the fact and the theory comes to play only if I can't naturally find more places to go while noodling. So if I get stuck but I know I'm in E major I can try changing keys or using parallel minor chords or emphasizing different scale degrees or whatever. It always helps.

That's why I laugh at people who eschew theory.

>add a half step to the D for the IV (Eb)*
Whoops, made a lil mistake there. I meant Eb

'no'

good argument. I wasn't sure about your first few points but your conclusion really brought it home for me.

IV? As in valium IV?

It just doesn't sound as if it was written out. Prove me otherwise.

>sounds and timbres that did not fit... bla
Well, sounds are not notes. And timbre has nothing to do with pitch.

?

IV as in I IV V

As in

C(I) D(ii) E(iii) F(IV) G(V) A(vi) B(vii dim) C

The fourth scale degree that the IV chord is built from, in this case FAC.

B-b-but I don't need theory like u fags! My hero Henry Rollins told me so, and I'm a punk! So I don't waste time with gay bullshit like music theory! Heahaha yea!

Hendrix played basic blues licks while fucking up with guitar effects until something sounded good.
Neither in melody or harmony he did anything remarkable, he just had pretty weird timbres for that era.
And I like him by the way.

>dude why would a writer need to learn grammar ha ha just write what you feel ha ha
>dude why would a cook need to learn classic flavor combinations just cook what you feel lmao
>dude why would a director need to learn camera techniques just shoot what you feel rofl
>dude why would a dancer need to learn different styles just dance what you feel kek
>dude why would an artist need to learn perspective and technique just paint what you feel lol
>dude why would an architect need to learn design just build what you feel tee
hee
>dude why would a seamstress need to learn how to sew just stitch what you feel hue hue hue

>says the person talking about Kpop in a non-Kpop thread
user, are you OK?

fuk me pops

Why? I DON'T like Kpop. Why would I want to have anything to do with someone who's clearly obsessed with it?