This is too edgy for me. How the fuck would it be adapted?

This is too edgy for me. How the fuck would it be adapted?

It can't be, and hopefully never will be.

It won't and it shouldn't be. You can't adapt it without censoring it, or hollywood would never try to sell it.

Not everything needs to be adapted.

The same way they fucked up Child of God

Miniseries, you could condense it into like 5 or 6 episodes.

Despite people's love for it it's not really filmable in any meaningful way, too much of the tone lies in the prose.

Blood Meridian as a book is one of the greatest ever written, but nothing about what makes it so fantastic could be translated to a visual medium.

Ask Zack Snyder. He said he'd love to do it.

is the james franco thing still happening or was that a joke

This.

It's McCarthy's prose that makes the book. You can't translate that to film.

Also, SJWs would go apeshit over this film if it was adapted faithfully.

Gandolfini and Philip Seymour Hoffman are both dead so it literally cannot be adapted anymore.

I believe it wasn't actually a joke, Franco announced he was going to do it with Tye Sheridan as the kid and Vincent D'onofrio as the judge, but the backlash was so severe he shut it down the same day

>Tye Sheridan as the kid
good choice on paper but I have severe doubts he could deliver. it needs to be someone a little older.

He wants to do it, even filmed some test footage out of his own dime. But luckily there's no actual plans for him to do it.

And, yeah, this is one of those cases where an adaptation would ruin things more than actually be good. It's like any Moby Dick adaptation. If you only care about the whale chase, then yeah, fuck it, just read the plot synopsis at wikipedia and be done with it. But you don't read Moby Dick for the plot, you read it for chapters like 'the whiteness of the whale'. Same with Blood Meridian. If it's just going to be a very violent western, then why bother watching it?

I think The Kid, not the Judge is the actual most uncastable role in the film. What was great about the novel's ending is how quickly but smoothly it glossed over the years between The Kid and The Man. So you'd need a Kid actor and a Man actor who's believable as an older version of him, but you'd still lose that nice bridge between the bulk of the novel and the "epilogue" sequence. And there's an inherent loss of viewer investment when you switch out an actor for another one. What happens to the Man at the end just won't quite feel like it's happening to the same Kid we spent the whole story with.

The Kid is obviously just a cipher. Literally every character he encounters has more personality than him.

I agree to an extent, but he does function as a person who sort of develops his world philosophy based on those outside influences presented to him.

They should pull a Boyhood and film the movie over several years.

>This is too edgy for me

i don't think you know what this word was originally intended to

Shit ending

Good idea. I think through a combination of CGI and meme magic they could keep the judge from aging at all

>film all judge holden scenes first on the same year
>insert him later in the narrative with cgi magic

pls give pdf or epub
i wanna read it too

it could work. i feel like a judge portrayed through advanced but subtle motion capture tech might actually be pretty effective.

I see what you mean. Make him seem kinda "unnatural" could work. Problem is risking to the point where it starts to look fake, or the effect doesn't age well. But I guess if it was an actor enhanced with CGI that's easier and better than a fully rendered character

If you loved /Blood Meridian/ you should definitely read /Empire of the Summer Moon/... which is like the documentary version. It can be found free in most libraries, even as an audiobook.

PS: Yes, Commanches did REALLY spear babies or use them for target practice, and gang-rape any captured pubescent female to death...that was their way of saying "Again, you are not welcome on my land"