Albums that started or were the death of a band

Albums that started or were the death of a band

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shitty opinion because year zero is one of his best and hesitation marks is also quite good

with teeth is probably his "worst" but i'd still give it a solid 7.5

The live tour for with teeth made the album better

and the new nin is awesome

>hesitation marks and the new ep
>good
getting real tired of this meme tbfh pham

>getting real tired of people having a different opinion than me

i know what you mean op

the meme is REAL

As an Arcade Fire fan it hurts me to say that Reflektor.

I guess this was the beginning of their downard spiral.

>hating on based Trent

>As an Arcade Fire fan

the second half of The Fragile was where it really went bad.

obvious

>Hating an album written by a man who made a conscious decision to strip all pretension and instead decided to make a simple album about battling an athropomorpized addiction

>Hating an album where the same artist is frightened that he started to idealize who he was writting The Downward fucking Spriral and decided to put out an album that was about him getting increasingly uncomfortable in his own skin as well as struggling with a new venture into fatherhood and being a husband and trying not to repeat the past when his own family disintegrated when he was a child. .

But yeah, totally destroyed his career!

the death

only two tracks on the second half are bad
and if you hate I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally
please kill yourself.

The Fragile > The Downward Spiral > Pretty Hate Machine

With_Teeth is solid eight, it has so much fucking highlights, he has amazing vocal deliveries and lyrics, it is a very touching album that gives reassurance and frees Trent, that feeling of being free yet not knowing where your life will go from here is perfect with "Right Where It Belongs"

Year Zero is a showcase of NIN being at its best, we went from a Downward Spiral of an invidiual to the entire world, even if you don't care about politics and just listen to this as a very interesting story with very well build lore and characters with some fucking amazing instrumentals and vocals. As usually it is with NIN, the finale is very amazing and does everything right.

The Slip is a damn nice album too, it is quickly put together, yet somehow it all works, very well varied with interesting themes throughout.

Hesitation Marks, is probably some of his best stuff again, tons of layers and sounds, over decades of making album still manages to still find new styles and sounds for each album in order to make each feel distinct yet still make that title "NIN" fit. It's cotemplative and catchy yet has very deep meanings underneath, dark and menacing ones, very honest and sincere. Album is pretty filled with emotional pieces and hits all the right marks and contains some of tracks which are some of the best (Various Methods, I Wold For You, While I'm Still Here)

Not The Actual Events is something special, it's a diverse and very rough, layered and complicated EP which almost feels like a puzzle itself to figure out what is going on, Trent challenges the listener by letting them figure out what is going on, this also probably has his best vocal performance out of his entire discography, Burning Bright is a fucking master piece.

In my eyes NIN never went down and released a "safe" release only once (With Teeth) and still remained their integrity with it and also throughout years and years.

The Fragile > Broken > Pretty Hate Machine > Hesitation Marks > The Downward Spiral > Year_Zero > Ghosts I-IV > Not The Actual Events > With_Teeth > Quake OST > The Slip > Purest Feeling > Still

It is surprisingly hard to write that opinion as I hold genuine affection for all of Reznor's work.

NIN's discography is so diverse that almost everyone will have different ranking, mine is almost entirely different to yours.

The Downward Spiral > The Fragile > Hesitation Marks > Year Zero > Still > Not The Actual Events > With_Teeth > Broken > The Slip > Pretty Hate Machine

Yet I love al of his work, there isn't a single album I "despise" in some sort of a matter.

nah, definitely more than two. the first side is amazing. the second sounds like a batch of outtakes got thrown in there.

The second part of The Fragile is more experimental I'd argue, but it is still good in quality and is a perfect mood shift that was needed for its concept.

I can sort of get behind this. I think that most of the instrumentals exception to La Mer could have been the basis for a Ghosts I-IV styled album and then the lyric songs (cutting Starfucker and adding Ten Miles High) could have been The Fragile.

... and cutting out the Dr Dre influence on Even Deeper. It's a good song with a pointless hip hop undertone.

found the "i only like the singles" faggot

let me guess, your favorite song is closer.

he likes Head like a Hole kek.

youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g

nah, I like most of his releases on a full playthrough basis, I can just admit that there are flaws in TF's second half, which is excusable for a double-album. sorry not everyone can get behind your opinions. I don't have a favorite track btw.

La Mer into The Great Below is the best two back-to-back songs on The Fragile

I don't even give a fuck if they're lower energy compared to the first half

those are both on the first half.

Literally boring

Oh wow they are, just at the very end
Now I look retarded and can't show my face in this thread anymore

How is this album the death of NIN? Trent is still doing stuff, and I really doubt he'll ever stop. Hesitation Marks was pretty good too, and the EP was even better, so I think he's on an upswing.

I dislike Starfuckers but I love the video.

>You will never be fried on Coke, hooked up to an o2 tank and caress prime Manson's legs

>loneliness

Pretty Hate Machine update when.

I want that live updated Sanctified bass line in studio quality.

>When you let a leafposter fuck your shit up, then proceed to let him fuck your shit up for another 10+ years

>i'll just completely ignore that this is a collaboration album and the right side showcases the styles of the 2 other producers/writers involved.
>must have moar radio-ready tracks!

fucking kek

A Thousand Suns was much better than this though

>a collaboration album
What does that have to do with me coming to the conclusion that I don't like most of the second half? If I wanted to hear Dr. Dre I'd listen to the thousands of other things he's produced with other artists.

>radio-ready tracks
There were as many radio-friendly tracks on the second half as there were on the first. Starfuckers Inc. is the most radio-friendly track on that whole album after Just Like You Imagined.

>... and cutting out the Dr Dre influence on Even Deeper. It's a good song with a pointless hip hop undertone.
this is an incredibly shit and ignorant opinion.

>Just Like You Imagined.
>Radio friendly
Wait what

>Dr. Dre
literally what the fuck are you talking about?

are you seriously this uninformed on who is contributing on the tracks you listen to?

>Just Like You Imagined
>radio-friendly
it being an instrumental automatically disqualifies it being radio-friendly
the radio rarely ever plays instrumentals ever

This piece of shit was the end. They went from good to absolute dogshit.

He co-produced 'Even Deeper' a track on the second half.

>If I wanted to hear Dr. Dre I'd listen to the thousands of other things he's produced with other artists.
The only god damn thing Dr Dre did on The Fragile is assist with mixing Even Deeper. That's fucking it. My god, you are a moron.

so you hear dr. dre's influence on the right side (kek...and even deep) more so than Danny Lohner or Charlie Clouser?

wew lad

It just felt out of place in the context of the song content. Dre and Reznor should have done something Instrumental instead. Hearing a Dre beat and listening to Reznor sing about personal things didn't mix as well as it intended to.

Even Deeper is a first half track

DRE DIDN'T MAKE THE BEAT
ALL HE DID WAS HELP MIX THE SONG
My god, actually research into shit before you act like you know what you're talking about.

Jesus christ, can't you look at the track listing to see what is the second half.

>song uses an 808
>dre must have made the beat
>even though he's just credited for the mix down
>and 808s appear throughout the rest of the album

found the racist

>It just felt out of place in the context of the song content.
Funny thing to say considering a lot of NIN tracks have hip hop influences
and have Trent singing personal things over them

just accept my shitty opinion already.

But he served as an infuence which Reznor talked about as early as 1997ish. The song was a holdout from when Reznor was trying to make the follow up to tds hip hop infused.

Can't when it has factual errors son.
Indeed, Down In It was literally the first song he really released, with hip hop influences all over the place in that.

>tfw Down In It is an 80s electro funk track with a distorted guitar

>But he served as an infuence which Reznor talked about as early as 1997ish.
That doesn't translate into "Dre Beat"
When you say that, it makes it sound like you're saying Dre made it when it's completely false.

What was so wrong with With_Teeth anyway? I understand it didn't go down well with fans or reviewers.

Why is Even Deeper on the Quiet Seed even when it's actually heavy? I never got this.

Just the fact it comes after The Fragile and started a huge change for NIN's sond (every album did this, The Fragile wasn't so loved when it came out either, living up to The Downard Spiral)

that's it