Tell me everything you know about Krautrock, Sup Forums

Tell me everything you know about Krautrock, Sup Forums.

Sometimes its EDM with rock instruments, sometimes its just ambient.

classic rock for art school snowflakes

how

i mean.............think about it

Motorik and wah effects lmao

bump

Best scene of all time. Hands down.

It's one of my favorite genres in rock besides r.i.o and avant prog. What I know about is that it's pretty acid, psych, raw and far out at times with a high emphasis on skill and it's generally not as weird as some of the most famous bands in the genre (eg classic era Can, Neu and Faust) will lead you to believe. What attracted me to it was the pure musicianship and artistic prowess that is widespread on the genre.

Krautrock is also a fuckhuge umbrella term that will tackle everything from avant garde to minimalist electronic ambient to jazz and proto-punk,with plenty of one album band gems to be found in the middle so I might be cheating a little when I say it's one of my favorite subgenres but yeah...

I don't know if the "genre" is still going these days. Pretty sure it caught on and became a worldwide genre though (see Boredoms).

i dont think it has that big of an emphasis on skill, it has more emphasis on textures and soundscapes usually even though the musicians do have lots of technical skill. Its like subdued skill for the sake of the final product

>r.i.o
?

rock in opposition, i think

"Rock In Opposition". you welcome

thanks

you're talking about prog rock, bud.

kraut literally implies a sense of persistence, almost a spiritual matra-esque use of repetition. It's a continuous pulsing motorik that slowly evolves, dipping in and out of different emotions and bleeding into the next.

all music that stems from a repeated motif and uses repetition to hammer home an idea comes from krautrock

>Unquestionable god tier
Can
Faust

>Great tier
Cluster
Amon Düül II
Popol Vuh

>Good tier
Tangerine Dream
Neu!
Agitation Free
Klaus Schulze

>Meh tier
Guru Guru
Kraftwerk
Ash Ra Tempel
La Düsseldorf
Embryo
>

themes and motifs existed long before krautrock and indians droned the fuck out of music long before germans. krautrock took a lot of developing ideas at the time and advanced them and also gave them some more commercial appeal.

When did krautrock become popular? Did folks outside Europe get into it back in the day?

Well after the de-nazification of Germany and the acceptance of the horror of concentration camps by the general population, german popular music was seen as way too idylic or unappropiate conisdering the situation. Schlager music was greatly associated with the idea of Heimat and in a way sang about the folklore and Dasein of the Germanic people. However this idea of a "destiny" for Germany had already crashed and burned. The country was in shambles, divided by a wall, and the general population had a sense of defeat and shame.
Of course this meant that they would import the culture from the winners of the war. Coca Cola, the Rolling Stones, etc. were all the rage for a while in (western) Germany.

This led eventually to a reaction by the students, artists and in general the younger population for two main motives:
First, a rejection of capitalism and consumer culture. The 70's would be the golden era of krautrock, but also would see the rise of RAF and the "German Autumn".
Second, as much as they refused the german tradition, they also considered british and american culture as alien and unappropiate to express the current historical and cultural state of Germany (that was now in much better shape but still haunted and unable to acknowledge its history). The solution was to create something completely different and new. This is how Krautrock came to be.

Of course this is merely a half assed historical account. Musically, krautrock took influences from Stockhausen, prog, the collages of Frank Zappa, the sounds of german heavy machinery, free jazz, the technical advances in electronic instruments, the list goes on :^)

>Neu only "good" tier
I would fuck you up if I could right now

>Neu!
>Good tier