youtube.com/watch?v=8cOStCSxQhI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dimebag Darnell Edition

What type of guitar is that?

Google says Jericho Guitars
Kind of looks like a less gaudy PRS

YOU ABOUT TO GET THRASHED TEXAS STYLE

GETCHA PUSH

Is any of this good? I've been fucking around with it for a couple days just trying to get some ideas. I think I accidentally made something that sounds like pop punk deafheaven or something.
clyp.it/jnvbnong

Guys playing guitar is really fun!

I agree. Just earlier today I was playing guitar and having fun

lel, jericho has sunk to shilling on Sup Forums

are they worth getting

desu I'd rather get a prs standard or a yamaha

I googled "way cool guitar guy" and chose an image that looked most suitable for an OP. I get all my OP images by searching for dumb shit like that

Use youtube and get far more reliable results than asking shitposters for answers

Get a Strymon Mobius for the same price and have a shitload more options.

How much time to you guys spend practicing every day?

I never "practiced"
I just pick up a guitar and play

If I ever sat down with the intention of practicing I would never have got anywhere

I try to do at least 15mins of scales and shit everyday, and one longer 45mins minimum per week.

heavily depends

some days maybe 10-15 min, some days like 2 hours

Electric

Pretty obvious that it's . Does appear to have a Seymour Duncan Invader or something similar in the bridge. Otherwise, asked and answered, right?

At least two hours. I usually start with with some fusion improv stuff, over some backing tracks, maybe work on tightening up my technique (right now my thing is string-skipping extended arpeggios across multiple octaves). Then I'll do some theory application stuff using a book on jazz guitar solos that provides analysis of jazz harmonic concepts. That's been really helpful for my phrasing.

Skervesen

Blackmachine

>trying so hard.
>having this kind of free time

Don't get me wrong, wish I had that type of time on my hands. But many years ago I got away from trying to do stuff that's impressive for impressive's sake and started working on playing stuff that moved me emotionally. Arpeggios are great, and not that hard (although it sounds like they can be made artificially harder...don't know what string skipping across multiple octaves means exactly, but I can guess what it means and I probably can't do it). It does sound more like a bit than a useful tool though.

Learning how to play a a song you've never even heard before and having fun with it--and doing it with friends rather than sitting on your bed alone for 2 hours a night arpeggiating--is when I learned how to have real fun as a guitarist. Playing a song with great lyrics and a bunch of dumb chord changes With band mates doing the same thing is how I learned to enjoy being a musician.

redpill me on schecter

What I got from your post is you're really insecure about not being that good at guitar

This thread needs more pictures of gear. Anyone got any pictures of gear?

Miss the point, and dull the point as well.

Got you senpai

Damn dude.

The only free time I have at ALL is the time I'm spending right now. I'll set up with my guitar at like, 10:30 pm and play straight through until 12:30 - 1 am (or longer) and then get a few hours of sleep before work. I don't do "impressive things for the sake of being impressive"; I genuinely enjoy studying music the same way someone might enjoy studying history, and getting to apply what I learn is a personally rewarding experience. I don't do what I do to impress people: I do what I do because I want to be able to create music like the musicians I admire, whether it's Frank Zappa or Pat Martino or Hendrix or whoever. The process of studying theory and improving technique enables me to translate the music in my brain to my guitar. It's the conduit by which I am better able to express myself as a musician. You don't need to do it the same way, but you don't get to condescend just because your process is different.

Also, being able to understand certain musical concepts allows me to better communicate with other musicians, especially non-guitarists because at a certain point, the language of theory becomes universal to virtually all instruments and it makes composition easier. Like, I'd rather just be able to say "play a D half-diminished chord" than "okay, put your index finger on the fifth fret of the A string, then your middle finger on the sixth fret of the D string, then bar your index across the fifth fret of the G string..." etc. etc. It's allowed me to play comfortably within multiple musical idioms without even having rehearsed with the musicians I'm jamming with beforehand.

Btw I am in a band and I've been playing in bands for the last 12 years. The experience of writing for and with a band, as well as live performance, is definitely a lot of fun but I don't bring in technical or weird harmonic ideas just for the sake of doing it (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that).

Says the lonely arpeggiator.

Forget it if you live in Europe.

A model session T bass that nominally costs around $700 would cost me over 1k€ to import.
(germany)

Btw the reason I took the time to write this all out is because I feel it is important to address this sort of "theory/technical phobia" that seems rather pervasive among guitar players. Like, everyone's experience with music is different and thus will generate different approaches to the creative process. What matters is that your process allows you to create the music you want to create. Don't let anyone make you feel like less of a musician or guitarist just because you do or don't do "x" as you develop as a musician. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is one of my favorite musicians of all time and he doesn't talk about music theory all that much; when he does, he describes his knowledge as pretty limited. That being said, I've never heard anyone since Hendrix get so much use out of simple blues scale patterns and make them sound unique and fun every time. Make the best of the tools you have, n'amsayin'?

Was this a good purchase, /gg/? It's not for anything professional, and it's my first 7. My other guitar is

what are some good stretches for your hands before and after playing that long?

Forgot the pic.

so is this more or less gaudy than PRS?

Good post and I stand corrected. Learning how to do something for the sake of doing is what makes art rewarding. I grew up with too many "next Yngwie" types that used guitar as a way to elevate themselves as well as denigrate others who can't do the specific thing they're trying to do. That's how I took your post...lots of technical language without background, as if we were all supposed to know what you're talking about (and if not, we should quit playing). Obviously I was wrong and I stand down.

Good luck, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just by removing the Soaring Eagle inlays a PRS loses half its gaudyness. It loses the other half when you take the PRS off of the headstock.

> that body

Also I agree with everything you said here. My purpose wasn't to beat you down, it was to beat down the notion of elitism that is pervasive in guitarists of my generation. My point was very much misplaced as it seems you and I have much the same opinion.

apart from pedals, and other queer gear, do you guys mod your guitars?
i'm thinking about starting up soldering again, i have a beater guitar that i plan to use as my project guitar for all possible mods and possibilities. first things first, i want to try the vintage wiring method on my strat

Haha, I don't know, I don't really think about it. If I feel any sort of cramping I'll either splay my fingers out or shake it out of my wrists a bit. I have a REALLY light touch on the guitar though, so I'm probably not straining myself as much? I dunno, maybe one day I'll end up wearing wrist braces like Petrucci. If you feel yourself needing to stretch your fingers a lot, maybe check if you're adding any undue tension to your playing and try to loosen up a bit, especially if you're practicing.

I need exercises anons. Where do you guys go to get little things to help with practice?

exercise? for what?

just play the damn thing until it stops hurting you little pussy bitch

Aight dude, we cool. What kind of music does your band play?

I listen to other guitarists lol. In all seriousness though, pretty sure MAB has a few YT videos on warm-up/practice exercises.

is that a good teletubbyman with a shotgun or a bad teletubbyman with a shotgun?

groovy.

this thread is full of so much gay.
its just a stupid piece of wood.

>just play the damn thing until it stops hurting you little pussy bitch
Who said it was hurting? I'm glad to hear that your skills are on par for the course but not all of us are little Yngwies.

Stateside. GG ez

My 2 1/2 year old daughter plays drums like Mr Bungle, so...acid doom jazzmetal? Don't really have time to play anything more than what I have known for a while because of kids (thus the original post about wanting more practice time). Past bands have done chickrock, ska, progrock, metal, etc.

You're a stupid piece of wood.

Here's my rig and main guitar.

Ah, nice. I'm in a prog rock band right now. My first ever band was an electric blues thing and then a little later I was in a death metal group right before I started college. The Mars Volta's "Frances the Mute" album got me really into prog and the move to a major city for university sparked my interest in jazz since I was surrounded by it (also I got my ass kicked the first time I was invited to jam with some of the music school students).

What year/model is that? I've got a 20010/11 Fender Mexistrat Special run that has that same finish, but a white pickguard. Never seen that finish before other than the FSR version I'm playing.

Yeah, it's a MIM Strat in "blaze gold", which I think is the only finish Fender kept producing from their MIM Specials after the run was discontinued. I got mine a little over a year ago.

A-anyone?

Hrm. Mine was sold as "Sunfire Orange Flake". But I'm sure it's the same finish. I Like it is all I'm sayin.

why do you care what losers here think, its not like we have to play it everyday

Ah, I found what you're talking about. I think the finish on yours might be a bit darker than mine but it looks killer.

Grew up on blues...Fred McDowell, John Hurt, Willie Dixon. Some older ones like Blind Boy Fuller and Ledbelly. I'd be interested in what you guys played.

Hey guys just wondering what useless piece of gear i should waste my money on this month. I'm a really shitty player and compensate by obsessing over pedals and shitty old man guitars.

Most exercises are for plebs. Just learn challenging songs and play along with the recording. its the best way to practice, far more efficient and much more fun.

I got it 100% because it was a "burnt orange" fat strat.

Phaser with tap-tempo

just buy an axe fx

I hear that Adam and Eve has a great new line of flavored dildos. Your mom wouldn't stop vaving. Until...

I remember the first time I heard a Son House record, the rhythmic playing and slide work totally fried me. I also picked up on a lot from listening to Hendrix and Clapton but I didn't really delve into Hendrix again until a few years ago.

The band I'm with right now was a bit more metal-oriented prog when I joined (not like, Dream Theater, more Cohered and Cambria with some Dillinger Escape Plan thrown in there). We also do a couple post-hardcore covers by bands like At the Drive-In and Fall of Troy. I've been moving the band in a bit more of a psychedelic prog rock direction, with some space for free improvisation and noisy, effects-heavy shit. I also learned how to play keys well enough to actually write piano parts for the songs, just to have that extra musical dimension. I would love to find a rotating group of horn players and percussionists to join us on stage for some of our songs but that's probably a ways off at the moment. I'll post a link to something if you're interested.

Interested. Not coordinated enough to put it to proper use, but interested. I've Phaser 90 from MXR that does as much as I can do with a phaser...

electroharmonix pitchfork

Very much interested...

It's beautiful, senpai. Strats are the best. I love mine and I rarely find guitars that I enjoy playing as much.

My musical wet dream is a rotating group of "all stars" that can all play several instruments. And rotate through some songs in different roles. This song I'm playing guitar, next song I'm doing synth, the one after that I'm on drums etc. Did something like it in high school but not since then.

>people say they love strats
>but they hate duo sonics

wew

>people don't like this hardtail 24" two pickup guitar, when they like this totally different one instead? WTF!

Is this the best option for thrash/death and the occasional Satriani/blues? It'd be for this guitar

But what about a G&L S2?

>better shape
>better design
>better components
>better build quality

Fender is garbage compared to G&L, and I hope /gg/ keeps buying into the Fender meme so I can keep on getting G&L guitars for cheap

>brag on /gg/ about doing some weird sweep at 250bpm
>cant play this
clyp.it/eajrpegw

>>better build quality

hate to break it to you but its hard to fuck up bolting a neck onto a guitar body, all the rest of your caveats are just pointless crap. its easy to change a pot or solder on a pickup.

>Fender is garbage compared to G&L
You havent played either though.

I put something out on a musicians networking site asking for people to help me with a similar project but nothing ever manifested. I feel ya on that vision though, I was inspired by bands like The Mars Volta, Zappa, and Miles Davis' studio crew on "Bitches Brew". I was doing a jazz gig at this bar in my city and after the jam was over one of the other guitar players invited me back to his place because he had a full drum kit, bass, keyboard, and amps in his basement. So we went back there, met up with a couple other musicians and started jamming on some standards, and as the jam went on we all just started switching instruments for each new tune. Also, the basement just started filling up with people getting drunk and dancing to the music and it turned out that a house party was in full swing upstairs. One of the best nights of my life. A couple months later I had a similar experience at a local bar: I started on guitar, then moved to keys, then drums, then bass throughout the course of the evening playing a mix of pop tunes, blues, and jazz as a group of 60 people filled in to listen and dance and then a couple horn players showed up so we started doing like funk songs and shit. Ugh. I just want to live those experiences over and over.

Son House is good at making you feel good. Skip James is good at making you feel good that you're not him. Hard Tim Killin Floor is as angry as falsetto can get

weak shill

if you honestly think that there aren't examples of better joinery you're a fucking mong who hasn't played either, and got completely bamboozled. They don't make their necks on one side of the factory and the bodies on the other, each neck on G&L USA gits are fit to a specific body, and they do it well.

You're probably some preteen trog that hasn't played a single good setup guitar, and doesn't know how to set one up, so it's not like it matters

What a fanfic took some minutes to write it didnt it

Own a couple of each and I have to say the G&L's, especially early/mid 90s are special.

imagine actually typing this pretentious bullshit on a Mongolian gardening website

Aight, here's a live studio version of one of our songs (which I really enjoy playing, although it was written before I joined). We have a few other live videos and recordings on our YT channel so there's more to check out there.

youtube.com/watch?v=8cOStCSxQhI

Should I learn to play the guitar?

I caught a transparent blue L2000 on craiglist a while ago and I haven't been able to put it down

Im this guey...This is why you didn't succeed on your musician networking site...People on the internet are dicks. Sorry, wish the news were better.

read this thread. Answer is no. But dubs trumps, so, yeah. I guess.

Check out the nazgul as well it maintains detail pretty well under distortion. The Black Winters are nice as well they have kind of a death and black metal sound. SD pick ups are pretty popular and for good reason, you should be able to find a lot of videos on their guitar pick ups on youtube to get a good idea of what they sound like.

If you want to.

Nah, it's cool. You need to have a sense of humor about yourself if you're going to put yourself out there. I'm unapologetically obsessed with music and performing and writing and teaching and whatnot and being so involved has been a great creative, personal, and social experience so I hope I'm doing something right. I love you all anyway.

Didn't read you post, but its probably more whining about quality of wood and where the guitar is physically assembled or the nationality of the person assembling it, all of which is meaningless.

The end result is still just a piece of wood with tiny bits of wire stretched across it.

It's late hours and you're posting on Sup Forums about guitar playing. you aint no eric fucking clapton. So fuck off.

You made me stop Skip James for your dumb video, so it better be good.

Okay fine. That's pretty good.

Clapton is god, dude, I wouldn't even try.

That's very sweet of you, thanks for watching.