Why does the wind make wet things colder?

Why does the wind make wet things colder?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pA8DdkM2Wqo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not %100 sure here but my guess would be that it's because the air flow causes the liquid in contact with the surface of the object to evaporate, leading to a decrease in temperature

Latent heat of water during evaporation. Heat or energy is taken from the physical medium and transferred to the water which then is removed by the process of evaporation in this case due to wind passing over or through the surface. Kind of as the gist of it all but simplified.

More?

That's all, sorry

Why though

When water evaporates, it just means that the bonds between molecules became loose and floated away. wind can dry things faster because it creates movement that, in turn, makes it easier for the bonds to come loose. when the water molecules do leave they take the heat with them. this is called evaporative cooling.

Because every action in change of a medium's physical state requires energy. To get water to become steam you apply energy(heat) to it. Same concept but smaller scale. It's essentially what you already do just by sweating. Lol are you doing your fucking homework on Sup Forums dude? Just go read your textbook man.

It's a cooling mechanism to keep from overheating, it's why you sweat.

why do they take heat with them?

So when things Evaporate they take more energy that condensing or other forms of water changing state. So since it takes so much energy for water to evaporate the surface it is on loses heat-giving it to the water to evaporate(I'm not the same user btw)

nah I've just never made a thread before, doing a crash test.

Cuz the patriarchy says so

Lower pressure causes a phase change.
ΔG=ΔH-TΔS

It is an endothermic reaction, pushed forward by the lower pressure associated with the faster moving fluid above the water. It increases the entropy of the system, and causes the reaction to be pushed forward, drawing heat from the environment to make the phase change occur.

Fucking chem major is good for something I guess.

your body transfers its heat to the water that is on your body so when the water does leave it makes you feel a loss of heat.

The bonds don't become "loose".
Breaking bonds will always require energy, and bond enthalpies stay the same. It is the change in entropy that drives endothermic reactions friendo.

Gibbs energy brah. Shit doesn't just happen.

Do you know what entropy is? you just explained what he said in more complicated terms.

Yeah im just fucking with ya.
>I concede

Nice to see the real deal though.

Entropy is disordered states. Thermodynamics says that the universe always moves towards higher entropy, towards more and more disordered states. Its why, when you mix sugar into tea, it doesn't just pool at the bottom, but diffuses (for the most part).

Everything always wants to be in the most disordered state, and gas is much more disordered than water. Normally, water cant make the phase change because it takes a shitload of energy (heat of vaporization of water is like 2260 kJ/kg). But, if there is a low pressure state around the water, it lets the water phase change. It still absorbs the energy to make the change though, which is why it cools.

Sick textbook definition bro.

She's some popular chick from Reddit. Has a lot o galleries, just use Google.

I want that harness!

I was taught from a textbook. Though, the textbook didn't utilize the word 'shitload' but, I like to make things more personal.

Also, dicks.

youtube.com/watch?v=pA8DdkM2Wqo

Legit finished my thermodynamics midterm last weekend and I used the shit out of Gibbs free erergy, Helmholtz, Clausius-Clapeyron, all them bois

Might want to try another textbook. That definition of entropy is shit

That's just wrong. The intermolecular bonds do become loose. That's how the molecules escape and take the heat with them.

physicsfag here

Imagine a puddle of water. As long as this puddle is not at absolute zero temperature (-273 C), the water molecules are vibrating and colliding randomly. This vibration (kinetic energy) is what we feel as hot or cold, it's the definition of temperature.

Whenever there is liquid water in contact with air, there is a statistical probability of a random water molecule to collide with other molecules in a way that it gets enough energy that it jumps out of the liquid and into the air (this is how humidity happens).

When this happens, that energy is removed from puddle of water, lowering the temperature of the remaining puddle by a little bit.

There is also a statistical probability that a gaseous water molecule collides in a way that it loses its energy and goes back into the puddle. This creates a balance.

Bernoulli's principle says that an increase in fluid velocity causes a decrease in pressure.

When you apply wind to the puddle, the air around the water decreases in pressure. It's like trying to create a vacuum.

This vaccum reduces the probability of a gaseous molecule to lose its energy. This changes the balance of molecules evaporating and molecules condensing. So overall, we get more evaporation.

And therefore, we get an overall loss of energy in the puddle, and so the temperature decreases.

I wouldn't say they become "loose", they break when they become unstable, kinda like a metal bar attached to a wall. It doesn't just come off when it wants. It needs energy to break it off because it likes attached. Due to the hydrogen bonding properties of water, the oxygen and hydrogen molecules WANT to be attached, but some energy needs them to break apart. Kinda like how Mike broke me and my ex's relationship and took off with her...

Screenshotting this for better understanding before finals. Thanks user.

Very eloquently put. Gold star

>mah nigga

shit, wrong pic.

Just stop talking man. Just blatantly wrong

wow, thanks mane

going through instrumental analysis these days, fucking Van Deemter and his horse shit.

I sometimes feel like putting my head into the beam of the mass spec.

THERMODYNAMICS heat is energy , cold is not a thing it is just the absence of heat, heat will always flow to fill the absence of heat.

Entropy does not refer specifically to disordered states, but rather serves as a measure of the amount of entities in their lowest or most stable configuration in the current system. This typically happens to be an "expended" state in which they are functionally chaotic compared to their original structure, but in systems with naturally higher energy, the highest entropy state (absolute equilibrium of energy) will still be naturally lower than that of a separate system with a lower total energy.

Fuck Van Deemter and his fucking equation. The graph never looks pretty. I'll chug all the solvents from the UPLC. Can a PDA harm a person? If so I wanna put it through my head

Can you actually kill yourself by spraying liquid nitrogen onto your face? I dunno, but sometimes as I'm sitting in lecture, I kinda want to wander upstairs and find out.

It's more of a liquid, but if you dump it all over your face, yeah you're fucked. Lots of skin damage, but do it long enough and it'd be a pretty painful death

You can by pouring it neatly or drinking it. An atomized spray would take massive amounts to overcome the leidenfrost point.