Yesterday, Stormzy's debut album became the first EVER grime album to reach #1 in the charts

Yesterday, Stormzy's debut album became the first EVER grime album to reach #1 in the charts.

It sold 60k copies, which is double the amount Skepta managed with his last effort which reached #2.

The album also got 7 tracks into the Top 40 (1 behind the record which belongs to Bieber) and it also gained the most first week streams for a Number 1 ever.

What does this mean for grime music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RDq4QMhat_c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not even a grime album lmao

Musically a lot of it isn't but it is in every other way desu.

The album is grime in essence desu. It wouldn't exist without grime. It's influenced by grime.

From the slang to the references to the features, it's grime.

References to Lord of the Mics, the Ghetts "Where's Carlos" sample, the Crazy Titch interlude, the features, etc.

It ain't easy to make a full on grime album, most MCs don't. Kano's Made In The Manor was 100% NOT entirely a grime album (shit, neither was Home Sweet Home) and it's considered to be very good.

so its uk hip hop then

Does it have grime style music and MC'ing?

Wouldn't say it's that either.
UK hip-hop tends to be completely separate from grime. For example, the High Focus lot (aside from Ocean Wisdom) are not grime in the slightest. No grime influence, no grime tracks, etc. Stormzy's influences are clearly mostly grime.
Yeah, musically, only 4-5 tracks are grime. The rest are hip-hop/gospel/r&b.
But the album comes from grime. Not hip-hop.

mm guess you are right then.
whats your thoughts on 67?

Don't really like this silly new "road rap"/"UK drill" thing.
Don't get the appeal.
The instrumentals are generic the lyrics are generic and the rappers all have the same flow and none of them have particularly interesting voices.

doesn't matter. stormzy still inauthentic grime for white people

agreed. tho i hope the uk takes influence from dean blunts album
i want hip hop/grime to connect with noise already

Is he better than Skepta, though? Haven't given him a chance yet desu.

the power of KSI...

Huh? What you mentioning that unfunny attention seeker for?

Skepta at his peak is miles better than Stormzy will ever be.
But right now Stormzy is better because Skepta's become a bit of a weirdo.

His performances at the BRITs fucked me off a bit. Had the chance to really put the scene on in front of the whole country and ended up dancing on the stage like an idiot while either really drunk or off his head on drugs. Instead of properly performing the tune he just acts all weird and whispers the lyrics half the time. Then at the end he just starts harmonising for no fucking reason.

It was embarrassing to watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=RDq4QMhat_c

The performance in question.

You're talking about Skepta there? Shame.

I think he means that KSI helped bring grime more attention since he has a massive audience.

What do you think of No Security, though?

Maybe he brought a bit of attention to it because he was mates with Jme but it was German Whip that put grime back on the map when it became a meme.

Which makes me realise how far this grime revival's come considering it started from a really bad meme song.

the grime scene desperately needs dean blunts influence if they to progress out of anything more than british men over trap beats
UK drill blew up worldwide thanks to drake though, so it's a working formula they have no reason to shift from just yet

Decent track really sick video.
Breath of fresh air from videos of the MC angrily lip syncing the lyrics into the camera at night surrounded by his mates who are wearing tracksuits and have their hoods up

Watch the video at Once you've got the gist of it, skip to the end for quite possibly the most embarrassing thing an artist has ever purposely done at a live TV performance.

Oh God. You weren't lying.

my 13 year old sister is always rapping along with Big For Your Boots or whatever

big choon

Regardless of how you feel about the grimeyness of the album, Stormzy's done a big thing here and clearly has the scene behind him.

Ghetts shouting "WHERE'S CARLOS" is on the number 1 album in the country.

Crazy Titch's voice is in the top 40.

That's quite mad.

I'm happy this album is so popular. The beats are not very good. Gives me hope about people responding well to my music as a producer.

wasnt too terrible, just desperately needed a hype man for the chorus

Dunno, it's just a bit embarrassing that he's clearly fucked on stage doing his silly dances.

And the harmonising at the end was genuinely so bad.

The grime tracks on it are very well produced desu.

Sir Spyro is a legend.

big up grime senpai

now skeppy is a coke head this is the future of grime

very very very gospel/preachy tho

disgusting

Can someone explain to me the difference between grime and hip hop please?

One is dancehall made by Jamaican immigrants in the USA, the other is dancehall made by immigrants in the UK both take the Jamaican MC'ing style and adapt it to localised EDM beats.