Which music styles are culturally relevant in the 2010s?

Which music styles are culturally relevant in the 2010s?

Other urls found in this thread:

billboard.com/charts/billboard-200
youtu.be/q1ci3Xi73T0
youtu.be/7705rOwV-7w
youtube.com/watch?v=qbEWpDw_q54
youtube.com/watch?v=opvopULDhVI
youtube.com/watch?v=CzEKRL00h4g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rock n Roll

I think we're finally reaching singularity point where it's ever so obvious (moreso than it ever was) that there is nothing new and movements have been made moot through that.

This being said, I do not think there is such an idea as cultural relevance any longer due to the decentralization of the "owners" of culture.

Aside, I liked post-hardcore and metalcore a lot and it isn't seeming to die or lose traction.

Pop
Rap

EDM

Hypnagogic pop
Dream pop
Shoegaze
Bubblegum pop
Neo-soul
Radio rap

>Shoegaze

Is it 1994 again.

>acting like there hasn't been a major resurgence in Shoegaze in the past five years with/mu/'s favorite Shoegaze bands all getting back together

The worst kinds.

That doesn't make Shoegaze relevant

I am a normie and never heard of

Hypnagogic pop
Dream pop
Shoegaze

These were never relevant

>neckbeard losers on Sup Forums
>culturally relevant

2017&2018 will be years of new meme music like vaporwawe but different in a way screencap this

Okay what do you listen to then? You obviously know better than me what music styles are relevant now

EDM
Trap
Rap
Pop

billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

The internet should be causing an explosion in underground music genres. It's too bad that any time something new and interesting comes out, everyone dismisses it as "meme music"

Because 99% of the time it is meme music. Vaporwave is literally an art project on memetics.

Most of the new work I've found on the internet has been done around the idea that it should solely be around capturing aesthetic, and they can't even do that right-- they turn around and tell me that I don't understand aesthetic when the best songs now on are about aesthetics. 24k magic is about doing coke. Literally nothing else.

I think that we've got an explosion of diarrhea and we had the pleasure of finding some gold coins the guy ate in it when we're picking the chunks out of our hair and off our clothes.

The issue is using "meme" diminutively and as if though it illegitimatizes the music.

Because the music itself often serves no purpose outside of being a memetic device. It attempts to capture a perceived aesthetic.

and I'll add to , it neglects to attempt to create something with it's own context, something-- as the saying goes, "Stands on it's own two feet."

That's what a timeless piece of work does.

I'm not only talking about vaporwave.

>The internet should be causing an explosion in underground music genres

i agree with you with internet and computers its much easier to make and share your own music but still it takes much effort/timr to produce quallity song/melody and most people dont have that

I know you're not. Most of the shit I see put in the crit threads are literal (attempted) aesthetic-avocation music which is as filling as eating saltine crackers.

only relevant genre in 2017 is uk garage mark my words
youtu.be/q1ci3Xi73T0

This is the sort of shit I'm talking about. Even by it's very medium it attempts to evoke aesthetic instead of actual statement.

what should an underground club track be stating?

It's going an awful long way to state nothing to go and press on vinyl.

It's just a poor emulation of pop music, trying to evoke a genre who's sole use is to evoke aesthetic.

Fucking satires-of-satires-of-satires make me tired.

+
like on soundcloud theres like 300thousand aspiring musicians and even if you repost and comment on tracks every day you will bareley get 1k listens unless you invest yourself into it more and build whole personality like yung lean or ugly god

The whole point of music is aesthetic. How do you even make music that is not aesthetic in some way?

then it's not art in any sense. If it's only goal is to evoke aesthetic, it is not art. It's an accompaniment to real art at best.

becaus3 its not original enough

only metal

Then how would you define "real art?" Because as far as I know, aesthetic is necessary for something to be considered art

Only this is culturally relevant

lmao isn't aesthetic just a words tumblmade up

Yes, aesthetic is a part of art, but at the end of the day, aesthetic is the attempt to bring forth only the idea of art, not an actual idea itself.

Also, long story short, I don't really think art exists in general. I think literature comes the closest, as it is incredibly imprecise, it is far more precise than other mediums.

Art is the attempt to express and transfer a specific feeling to another, and by the nature of language, any sort of exchange, we are unable to do that reliably, and can only give feelings in the certain "neighborhood" of the feeling presented by the author/progenitor of the work.

This being said, most music does not evoke any further feelings other than a nicely placed vase in a room does. It serves a purpose to evoke aesthetic and nothing else.

has to do with a misunderstanding of most post-modern art criticism.

Also, the extra dash of lol "irony"TM for taste.

plenty of music evokes feelings, but yeah electronic music has largely failed in that regard. The problem is the necessity of language to communicate ideas in music to people who don't know theory, otherwise it comes out vague, even with lyrics many people don't read into them. Vaporwave seemed to start out as a somewhat sincere/post-ironic criticism of popular culture and capitalism but it was co-opted so quickly and it ultimately didn't present any new ideas. The remaining people who make it do seem to just do it for the aesthetic. Just out of curiosity what is a piece of music you consider art?

I don't think we should approach my musical tastes or what I consider art-- that's tangential to my point.

Aside, I meant the evocation of specific feelings. Most-- like I said-- music does fail to do that. Most music cannot live without secondary context to accompany it, few pieces of music can stand on their own two feet.

>electronic music has largely failed in that regard
if this doesn't make you cry then you have no heart and/or soul youtu.be/7705rOwV-7w

I can understand not having heard of hypnagogic pop, but if you haven't heard of shoegaze what the fuck are you even doing here

memeing you fags

I said largely, does the average techo or house song make you feel anything? Also, are you serious about that crying thing? I'm still listening to it right now and it doesn't seem very genuine or emotional to me.

Trip hop

What is this dissonant piece of garbage?

The most interesting ideas are coming from hip hop, metal and electronic music. So those.

Burial - Untrue
Are you even trying?
There are many more genres in electornic music than just techno or house. Does the majority of rock or any other genre make you feel? I think you might be holding electronic music to a standard you aren't necessarily holding other music to

Electronic and dance are the only genres that make sense for me these days

youtube.com/watch?v=qbEWpDw_q54

I bet you like to post how much you ironically wanna kill yourself, right?

I never said I don't like electronic music, and I've listen to Untrue. The point I was trying to make is that many electronic artists are much more interested in making club tracks or coloring inside the lines than making something genuine and interesting.
The same can be said of all genres, yes. The thing is that on this board at least, in generals like /bleep/, for instance, they don't seem to talk too much about interesting electronic music. Meanwhile the discussions of rock music don't focus on bands like Queen or ACDC or Bonjovi or U2, they are more rooted in the experimental rock projects and that shows in the most mentioned albums. The idea in the electronic scene (online, at least from the limited view I have) seems to be that just because you're a small artist you're automatically superior.
I've been trying to get into electronic music for some time now and not super familiar with it so excuse me for naming techno and house.

Because electronic music is the cheapest to make and ultimately leads to the cooption to the usual memes the art world falls into. Clever marketing, dilettante musicians, etc etc.

Instead of putting money into your actual product, you get to spend it more on the marketing of it. All aesthetics, no substance. Memetic coprophagic dissonance is the name of the game through subverting the listener through using overcomplicated genre distinction.

Superior regardless of whether you're making something interesting, at least, is what I meant. Another thing is that the nature of electronic music makes it that much easier to produce and has led to a massive proliferation of styles, at which point things start to blend together, for me at least.

two sides of the same coin, interesting lmao

Club music is the cancer killing electronic music.
/bleep/ and EDM need to be banned.

I only listen to proper electronic music too

Apgex Twin, Autechre, the list goes on...

I know you're being ironic but it's true. THAT'S real electronic music. The people trying to make EDM club tracks never innovate because they're making generic corporate pop music.

*inserts Stockhausen quote*

And Autechre were "EDM" producers at the start so your argument is bollocks.

how is it dissonant
the constant reece with the skippy chords and amazing vocal sample work in perfect harmony

no he's being post ironic

No they weren't. EDM wasn't even invented until Daft Punk came around. Stop trying to tarnish they're name.

dance music is great too idiot

youtube.com/watch?v=opvopULDhVI
youtube.com/watch?v=CzEKRL00h4g

is Starboy edm?

you are literally retarded, this is not in harmony

this tbhfam

AnCo

Quick question;
What purpose does other music serve?

The shit bleep likes would never be played in any of the night clubs in my city.

Hip hop

Experimental/Alternative RnB
EDM

Rock, jazz and classical music are all dead styles with no room for growth whatsoever. They will never come back. And Top 40 music will continue to be repetitive electropop until the human race goes extinct, with only vocal style changing based on trends.

The internet has killed the concept of actual art movements, and online movements can never work.

Cultural relevancy is a done concept, every generation will have the same popular art for the rest of human history.

I would argue that rock movements still have room to move within the spectrum of post-hardcore with electronic elements a la I See Stars or Palisades.

Popular music

Read the poem 'Ozymandias'

I AM OZYMANDIAS
KING OF KINGS
LOOK ON MY WORKS;
YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR

Have you even heard trap music? I think you're just stuck in your own little world with shitty metalcore bands from the mid 00s

Nah but seriously though, my point is is that culture has been very rapidly shifting since the dawn of fucking man, it's not a recent thing that the Internet/information age has sparked like most people have been lead to believe. Things will definitely be different in 100 years, let alone 1000.

To put things in perspective, 100 years ago Europeans were still flinging shit at eachother. and America wasn't king of the fucking world.

And 100 years from now you never know for certain what will happen. There will however be such a creeping influence of foreign/alien values on Western culture that things will be virtually indistinguishable. That's something that's been gestating for awhile, and something that's bound to happen anyways. Ozymandias.

So no, we won't be listening to electropop until the end of man.

I don't care, I just listen to what I like.

This. Blues has a shit ton of memes way before the internet came along. It's built on memes and traditions. Same with country.

Aesthetics evoke emotions.

This sounds like shit they would play at Tomorrowworld

Zeuhl

If its just whatever's hottest on billboard why even make this thread? Why even continue this thread