/prod/ - Music Production General

Slate's analog sim stuff are bait
>Give and receive feedback/discuss production topics

I'll start off with this little jib I just threw together (flipped a Piccioni sample)
clyp.it/jdyuiem4

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/xpspeseq
clyp.it/y2d53lpn
clyp.it/vffr5n5s
soundcloud.com/mwgli
clyp.it/2ge2lbhg
clyp.it/nbueadeg
clyp.it/x2psdl34
youtube.com/watch?v=U3Yc_3W-BHw
m.soundcloud.com/gage-winthrop/fully-empty
clyp.it/ccg4eajk
clyp.it/a2cwlwio
clyp.it/zcxynlm2
youtube.com/watch?v=B2qI6UDD2uQ
clyp.it/k3nretbh
clyp.it/1ayq5zmq
clyp.it/d2unnl2m
clyp.it/htbylef0
youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ot9AaJx-Y
clyp.it/zowovf2x
clyp.it/murnetw2
clyp.it/ypute0nn
youtube.com/watch?v=oPlnOOmUJ5I
clyp.it/4o5gc2lq
clyp.it/ooddyik4
clyp.it/n5ihczk3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Feedback on these please? Which mix sounds better

clyp.it/xpspeseq
clyp.it/y2d53lpn

Tried to clean it on the 2nd attempt but still sounds dense and saturated what do you guys think

Post setups?
Remix I'm working on

clyp.it/vffr5n5s

sc - soundcloud.com/mwgli

how do you like the m-32?

More than half of the sounds you hear in some of my songs are the m32, imho it's the best value synth on the market. So well built too.

awesome, im tempted to purchase one

You definitely should

This is my setup, nothing too fancy, my cans are horrible, that'll be my next upgrade.

I was in the last thread and got great feedback, I think my stuff sounds much better after /prod/.

Before /prod/:

clyp.it/2ge2lbhg

After /prod/:

clyp.it/nbueadeg

Right?

I just got a MXR talkbox to go with my Arturia MicroBrute to make muh music

For some reason this reminds me of Crash Bandicoot, dank.

Huge difference. What did you do differently?

I'm checking what's that about, thanks user.
First of all, I used other synth sounds. Someone said it was too muddy, other person said it was really messy, and someone else said it could be because of the relationship between the lead and the keys, and he was right, so I made the lead go slower i.e: less notes per bar, and that cleared everything up, I also panned both a bit and added a bit of reverb.

>clyp.it/nbueadeg
I liked the simple rhythm of the intro part in the first one; why did you maybe it more complex? :(

Wow. That really made a difference. You didn't do any eqing?

>akai but no mpc
>thinkpad but no t40

It's gone now user, someone said hats were too much and I think he was right.
No, not at all, I did mix it again though.

Hey, c'mon. He's on the right path

yup.

Added more to my guitar+drum track. I don't know much about song structure though 2bh

clyp.it/x2psdl34

im retarded with music. what is the instrument in this song called and how do i do the effect that it has in the song (like changing pitches or something) virtually?
youtube.com/watch?v=U3Yc_3W-BHw

Interesting, but I can sense you're really new to producing, your volume levels are really screwed up and you have to learn how to mix, start by learning how EQ's and suble compression works.

Sounds like an alto flute doing an extreme vibrato.

My setup, only missing some studio monitors and I'd like to get a couple other toys like a midi drum sampler and a larger midi keyboard

looks comfy as fuck not gonna lie

Some of my work using this setup

m.soundcloud.com/gage-winthrop/fully-empty

The trick is pink light bulbs haha
I love making music here

really diggin your stuff man

What do you guys like to map to your knobs to make things cooler?

I'm sick of doing the usual stuff like sweepers.

Thanks my dude

I'm a little stuck and I can't decide which version of this track is better so far:

Version 1: clyp.it/ccg4eajk
Version 2: clyp.it/a2cwlwio

Which version do you guys like more so far?

I couldn't think of a title so I went with Space Funk, it seems fitting.

clyp.it/zcxynlm2

First by miles

can I use this rhyme?

Please do.

Old setup

Moving into a bigger space but that means everything's a fucking mess right now.

I like that lamp

I love both of them, I prefer the first one but if you rework the second more they can be two completely separate tracks.

How do you know when your stuff is good enough to send to a label?

You just do.

How do I make drum beats like in the downward spiral?

youtube.com/watch?v=B2qI6UDD2uQ

>ywn make something like this

let me just speed up the process for you real quick: it's not

how do I make emotional bangers?

lol all this shit about but you retards are too stupid to realize you were just being SETUP to give this faggot an excuse to shill his soundcloud

Like I've never seen a soundcloud link before, I won't open that shit you autistic fuck.

This is quite obviously not the same person you retard

congratulations in proving your self-worth, but your prowess doesn't help the rest of the community who gets to open a fresh thread and see the second reply is this dude wavin his dick about

Yeh, obviously. You're missing the point. I'm saying that whole topic started with some faggot wanting to self-promote and anybody contributing without acknowledging that is egging him on

Trying to dip my feet into remix, just slapped this together quick with the Bottomless Pit Stems, how does it sound? What should I do to start improving my mixing?
clyp.it/k3nretbh

clyp.it/1ayq5zmq

helo friemds

Hadn't done any speaker alignment when I took the photo. Most of my physical equipment is on the other side of the room as well. Bit inconvenient but oh well.

Sorry, newbie here. Looking into recording my own music. Im looking at an interface and a couple of mics right now. I'd love to be able to do live recordings of my own band one day too. What do you guys think? When is a mixer going to be required? will I even need one?

If you want to do recordings of your band, you can use your software as 'the mixer', but the bottleneck here will be how many mic preamps / inputs your interface has. An interface that has 8 mic pres would be a good start, and many of them can be daisy chained together, such as the motu stuff, if you need more inputs later.

The sax melody could be so much better when the drums come in

always made little tunes on piano, just downloaded Fl studio (Should I be using a differnt program??) and came up with this in 30 minutes. Im not sure how I make each pattern a different instrument. I want this to be an edm song.

Eventually I would love a female lead singer to sing the melody. Am I doing it right or am I delusional.

clyp.it/d2unnl2m

>clyp.it/d2unnl2m
I'm also new to this so I can't nail the specifics . But this sounds really "thin" like not much stereo stuff going on and almost no bass. Sorry I can't be more specific. It's jaunty as fuck tho.

Can someone tell me if this arpeggiated thingy is grating as fuck and out of time? And how do I make midi piano sound more natural? I have a shitty laptop so I'm playing with 256 buffer size and I can't quantize cause of my of fills n stuff

here's a snippet. pls no bully. Just started learning. It's also a bit quiet I think? how do fix?

clyp.it/htbylef0

>clyp.it/1ayq5zmq

Might be my headphones but those hats are piercing my colon via my eardrums

presonus boy, u poor or from australia? I see them shits everywhere here

>presonus is bad
When will this meme die?

To do live recordings of your band, you'll need an interface with a lot of inputs and preamps. Alternatively, an interface with an ADAT/optical in and out. Using that, you can expand to use more preamps.

For example the audient id22 interface as 2 preamps, but has an optical in and out to expand up to 8 more. Then I just need something like the focusrite octopre which has 8 preamps and can connect to the id22 through ADAT.

Just face it, you'll never be famous.

You aren't special, no matter what your mommy tells you when you finish showing her ur shitty track and she has to lie to stop you from killing yourself.

You will never be a rockstar, you will never pioneer into new genres, you will never get the cars, the money, the women, or the attention.

You will never have young girls getting wet when they are in your mere presence.

But it's not like you had a chance to begin with? Martin Garrix went to an elite school of musicianship and has been producing for over 10 years, and he's only 20. At 18 he was touring the world, fucking bitches and getting money for producing child's play, whilst you fail to produce a musically coherent 4 bar loop.

There are thousands of producers like this, child prodigies just itching for a chance to show off their amazing work, and you honestly think you stood a chance? No, you don't even have the intellect required to be a producer, so even if you "grind"(cringe) you will get no where and will never finish anything.

By all means, keep feeding money to Native instruments and cymatics, but keep in mind your going to have to work 9-5 for the rest of your life, and probably put in a few extra hours a week to pay back your debts.

>inb4 Martin Garrix is bad.
No, as he gets more pussy than you and i'd prefer to listen to his shit over anything you have the courage to upload and call "music")

>inb4 "I just do it 4 fun xD"
You don't, stop lying to yourself. You secretly want to prove everyone wrong, but think people can't see through your pathetic facade.

I just realised I had the "attack" all the way up on the piano because I was trying to work out what it does :/ thats part of why it sounded weird to me

Don't reply.

Whats that

?

I was clarifying on my own Clyp I posted. Or are you asking about the attack? I'm an idiot and realised I already new this from filters and stuff but it just adjusts when the note starts, and fades it in. It's probably more technical than that. But I'm just beginning and fuck with things til I work out what they do....probably why I'm asking for advice about some basic shit

Can I hear it now with your fix?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ot9AaJx-Y

clyp.it/zowovf2x

It's not that dramatic. Just sounded much less percussive.

clyp.it/zowovf2x

This is a cool channel. Thanks user.

Having trouble setting up my drum machine with fl studio. What I want to do: Create a pattern in FL studio that triggers the buttons on my drum machine. I hooked it up with both midi in/out and with audio in/out. When I googled it some people did it with the FPC plug in in fl studio and they assigned the buttons there to buttons on the drum machine. I tried it and it doesn't work. Any tips?

mmm delicious pasta

In ableton how do I set a key like ' 8 ' to start playing at a locator?

clyp.it/murnetw2

Firt one is the best imo

Do I have a good voice for rapping, or should I just give my beats to other internet rappers?
clyp.it/ypute0nn

Help, thoughts on this?
Does this sound too compressed and dense?

clyp.it/y2d53lpn

It seems like bachata music mixes are much lighter and clear what do you guys think

Does Slate stuff actually suck?

worse than waves, IMO
there are some kinda unique and great working tools like the FG-X, but fuck all this microphone modeling nonsense and 300% more 'character' than the original bullshit. when even empirical labs bails out their contract to get a licensed slate distressor plugin and goes through the trouble of coding one from scratch themselves then you know this stuff just sucks

practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

youre not pulling off higher pitched words and you go off beat sometimes

ur voice literally doesn't matter, especially since you're going for a catchy vibe.

giving beats out for free is ok as long as you're not giving your best, only give a few away for free to get your name out, then start selling

That is a very nice setup you have there.

Also, any recommendations for mixing plugins that aren't Slate?

this is painful to listen to

fabfilter
plugin alliance's brainworx, maag, spl, elysia
soundtoys
sonnox
flux
lexicon
exponential audio

Why

it is too compressed and dense, also the strings are unpleasantly detuned and trebly and harsh

But these are just the words i used lol
Should i just decrease the compressors' ratio or change some other parameters?

Arent the guitar on this bright the same? youtube.com/watch?v=oPlnOOmUJ5I

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really looking for money by selling beats though, I just wanna make good music.
I live with my parents, so I'm not really starving for cash you know.

Thanks a lot. I have the soundtoys bundle and love it. I just got fabfilter, but haven't been able to use it yet. I'll take a look at the others you mentioned too.

>am i dumb and retarded?
>yes, you are dumb and retarded
>but that's exactly what i said lol
whatever mong, if you think your guitars sound like that video's guitars, listen again

I'd actually be curious to hear you rap over this, just made it

clyp.it/4o5gc2lq

lol
that video sounds much more light and with more space. you have an idea for the compression besides just decreasing its wet mix?
my guitars sound saturated and with some saturated high mids, thats what i can pick

Love it. Can't really record before the thread dies, but if you wanna collab, you can give me a way to contact you.

Any feedback on this?

I'm trying out sampling.

Cool, [email protected] is the account I use for music stuff so if you want you can send it there

clyp.it/ooddyik4

Forgot the link

Very minimalistic and empty. I like it.

Is there someone who is experienced in releasing music on 12-iches? What is standard/most-popular deal with labels?

To be honest, don't. Labels will hit YOU up. You don't want to sign a deal that doesn't have leverage on your part. Just make music and self release it.

These trips don't lie.

I'm tryna make melodic wubs and it just aint happening

clyp.it/n5ihczk3

Any idea how to get Reason 9 without actually shelling out 400 euros?

The best thing I can think of is making a sort master-slave connection via ReWired in FL studio. Just download the Reason 9 demo and set up connection every time you start a project in fl studio. I've been doing it for a few months in that way.

mfw i cant run omnisphere properly and it took a week to download

yo mmaybe lay off the lowpass

what about it isn't running properly?

What does /prod/ think about the new Bitwig 2?