0.999... = 1

0.999... = 1

prove me wrong

protip: you're a faggot if you dont understand why they are exactly equal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wsOXvQn3JuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's below 1, so its unequal. Is it that hard?

you learned that today. stfu

newfag

It rounds up to 1 but it doesnt actually equal 1

wow baby's in pre-calc

no. they are exactly equal

My tummy hurts i have to diarrhea

0.999 repeating will never equal 1 as you are always dividing a sub-section of 1 into smaller parts and then taking 9/10 of that part for infinitely small subsections so theoretically the net sum of all these subsections will never equal 1 no matter how many times you divide it up.

youtube.com/watch?v=wsOXvQn3JuE

And /thread good job m8

you're wrong lmao there is just no other way to say this

0.9999... is literally the same as 1, there is no difference. Anybody who understands math will be able to prove this ten different ways.

>It rounds up to 1 but it doesnt actually equal 1

If infinity has a limit, then != 1
If infinity has no limit, then = 1

By definition, infinity has no limit, therefore =1.

>What is basic math? Its not equal you faggot
t. Math major

I get the proof, I'm not a mathematician. I'm more of a person of physics but if we are making the claim that 0.99999999 goes on for infinity then that number, no matter at what point you look at it from, is not the same as 1. That makes more physical sense to me at least, people in mathematics will argue that for, let's say a googolplex of decimal places, it is basically 1 but in reality it's not (assuming we have such an object large enough that we can take 9/10 of that object and then 9/10 of the 1/10 left over and so on).

yes it is

there are at least 10 proofs that i can think of off the top of my head. any real math major would know this

here is one proof for you

if a-b=0 then a and b are equal

what is 1 - 0.999....?

0.999... =x
9.999... =10x
Subtract the equations:
9=9x
1=x

I was just looking at this proof and it's logical but the thing is they are essentially multiply a number that has infinite decimal places which makes no sense.

Simple, compare it to this:
2 + 2 = 5 (for very large values of 2)
This is just a very low value of 1.

so you cant multiply anything by 1/3 then?

because 1/3 = 0.333...

>they are essentially multiply a number that has infinite decimal places

See >which makes no sense

Who said it had to make sense, it's math, it only has to be logical. OR NOT.

Well of course we can but don't we often round up decimal places when the numbers don't cancel out?

Logically, 0.999... can't equal 1. Mathematicians dispute this, some say it makes sense to just say it is equal to 1, others have a different perception about the problem and say it can't.

i hope you guys realise this video is a troll video

if you guys don't understand this you would shit yourself if you read up on the riemann zeta function

The only ones who accept that it equals 1 are the ones who dont really believe in infinitesimals. I don't either, as saying we can divide something up infinitely is ludicrous, but in terms of pure numbers you CAN.

>understand it
You realize both sides are correct, right? Read

What do you add to 0.9 to get 1.0? 0.1
What do you add to 0.99 to get 1.0? 0.01
What do you add to 0.99999... To get 1? Well... 0.00000000....

You never reach the 1 needed to get 1.0, since there's infinite zeros. Therefore, 0.999... = 1.

> fails to understand the difference between the study of mathematics and the mindless bleating of mantra.

Next you're going to argue that 0 is not a number because it's not quantifiable?

The sort of retard "mathematics" people use to claim .999· is the same as 1 is referred to as the study of quantity, it's the babystep in teaching people to think in numbers "here we have 1, if we add another 1 we have 2!"

If you can't differentiate between integer quantity and a repeating floating point then you're a retard.

A "person of physics" - I guess that means non qualified or you would say physicist.

A physicist would not doubt the maths and they definitely wouldn't say I'm a physicist not a mathematician. The language of physics is maths. It's all maths.

If 1 != .9999....

then

1/3 != .3333....

If .3333... != 1/3

What is?

We can treat it as 1 for convenience sake but it isn't 1. It will never be. That's the fucking point.

Make a pin that is 1.0 dia. Then make a hole that is .999 dia. See how well that pin fits into the hole without a lot of force.

That doesn't make sense. If you multiply 12 by 1/3rd you get 4. If you round the fraction at all you don't get 4.

It might not feel right but in maths and physics too you have to get used to some things being counter intuitive. Not all things work the way we expect them to.

Wrong
infinity (the representation of √-1=infinity is wrong btw.) is not a number, it's a concept.
You cannot compare infinite and finite numbers because they adhere to different rules and properties.

Anyone who argues 0.9· = 1 needs to go back to pre-school. It's the equivalent of comparing wine to cement on the basis that "they both have atoms"

>Make a hole that is getting bigger constantly in tiny increments.
Not possible. Also, the longer you wait, the easier the fit would be.

Oh I can call myself a physicist it's just that I think more physically. I'm getting a dual degree in mathematics but I wouldn't argue over something stupid like 0.999... equaling 1. There are different sides to math; like I was arguing about the infinitesimals.

>Make a pin that is 1.0 dia. Then make a hole that is .999 dia.

Don't you mean .9999.... diameter?

.9999 != .9999...

1 does not translate to 1/3 no matter how badly you want that to be the case.
1/1 can become 1/3 but 1 as an integer cannot ever and will not ever become 1/3 (one is a finite number, one is a fraction)

as such 1/1 is a comparator to 0.9· but finite 1 (or the standard definition of 1) is not 0.9·

I don't know how you people aren't getting this.

>the standard definition of 1

And there we have the correct answer.

The Standard Definition.

But you see saying 1/3 is actually different than just dividing by 3, I'm arguing with you. I think that 0.999... equals 1 because we have to be realistic (I have a perspective based around physics, like I said before). But dividing 12 by 3 is easy because we can make 3 sets of 4 but multiplying it by 1/3 is something entirely different if you actually do the division and then multiply it out...

[0,1] != [0,1)

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 3/3 = 1

0.333 + 0.333 + 0.333 = 0.999 = 1

kys

>0.333 + 0.333 + 0.333 = 0.999 = 1

0.333... + 0.333... + 0.333... = 0.999... = 1

FTFY

0.333 + 0.333 + 0.333 = 0.999 != 1

The two equations are completely different.

OP is right, you're all fucking retards if you don't know about infinite series. Go to school, you fucking neckbeards.

0.999 repeating is a geometric series that is the sum as n goes to infinity of (9/10)(1/10)^n-1, where a = (9/10) and r = (1/10), where abs(r) < 1 and is therefore by definition convergent, and geometric series are one of the few series that you can find what they converge to without really advanced math courses, it converges to a/(1-r). Do the math faggots, it converges to 1 (ONE).

this. i can't tell if the people saying it's false are trolling, don't understand the statement, or just haven't taken calculus and don't understand the concept of limits

OP is retarded.
0.(9) = 1

Seriously you learn this shit in fifth grade.

BECAUSE FUCK U THATS WHY

Listen this is the math equivalent of people in trap threads thinking they are straight. You're both wrong and retarded.

how about thinking for yourself you moron before making this thread again.. they're not equal
0.999... is infinitesimally close to 1 but is not exactly 1
our 'normal' math just doesn't have infinitesimals in it.
TLDR: you're the faggot, OP.

>learn this shit in fifth grade

i think not breh

Because pic related, but in base ten.

>Seriously you learn this shit in fifth grade.

Sheldon Cooper surfs /b?