Is this album just bullshit?

Is this album just bullshit?

it is what it is, you gotta appreciate it for its own sake and not try to find "meaning" in it imo

no, it's good

no, it is not.

I totally doubt people listen to this and enjoy it unironically. They just forced themselves to listen to it multiple times and made some sense of parts just for their own smug self-satisfaction.

spoken like a true pleb

I enjoy this album but beefheart has done better stuff before and after this

i like it in part because it doesn't make sense though

you just described Sup Forums itt.

Okay m8s please indulge me on what makes this album "great" without using the typical buzzwords
>muh groundbreaking
>muh experimental
>muh untraditional song structures

sure it's bullshit, if you're IQ is below 120

it's great because it's different

is it really that difficult for you to listen to?

>you're IQ is below 120
>you're
Off yourself

I don't know, i'm interested to hear but it's not on Spotify.

nice quads

this album is great because its hilarious. Nothing less, nothing more.

>The album's unconventional nature often alienates new listeners. Cartoonist and writer Matt Groening tells of listening to Trout Mask Replica at the age of 15: "I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. I said to myself, they're not even trying! It was just a sloppy cacophony. Then I listened to it a couple more times, because I couldn't believe Frank Zappa could do this to me – and because a double album cost a lot of money. About the third time, I realised they were doing it on purpose; they meant it to sound exactly this way. About the sixth or seventh time, it clicked in, and I thought it was the greatest album I'd ever heard".

>literally no argument.

dumb fuck

what's your argument then

why is it bad

>you're IQ

Yes.

bitches got fucking played

>Forcing yourself to like something after 7 listens, and providing the vaguest reasons.
Can anyone articulate a thorough positive opinion of this without ripping off meme scaruffi? Literally the only people that like it just say they like it because it's "different" or that they just are a higher iq. Kek
Great grounds for analysis.

this

You are higher iq?

>I was only pretending to be retarded guys!

Oh, what do you know, it's this thread second time this day. Just put some effort in, come on.

Nobody here has provided a valid criticism of the album beyond "itz shit i dunt get it", so no, that is not necessary.

there's nothing wrong with liking something because it's different.

No it takes time user

There is when it's just for the sake of being different. You can listen to an album of different fart noises and that'll surely be different.

well of course, my frined

>There is when it's just for the sake of being different.
because you say so?

it wouldn't be different because you hear farts like every day, so that's a dumb-ass analogy

>WELL YOU CANT USE EXPERIMENTAL
>YOU CANT GROUNDBREAKING
>YOU CANT USE UNTRADITIONAL SONG STRUCTURES
>YOU CANT USE DIFFERENT

do you see how retarded you guys being? these things make the album so great. are you not tired of listening to boring shit like weezer or the clash? fuck off and try something new

the fact that you believe it is something more than just a group of old folks smashing their heads into their instruments is baffling.

it's not even the Captain's best work and If I wanted to listen to proper experimental and/or groundbreaking music i'd rather listen to Zappa, there' no "it takes time for you to like it" bullshit with him because he's actually good.

you're seriously enjoying and album that was meant to be shite, i bet Don is keking in his grave rn.

wait no i have dumbass reading comprehension, i thought that first part was about that the album's just different with nothing else to offer (which would be dumb because if it's different it has to have "something else to offer"). well let's not bring this self-image shit into this because it's a completely different subject matter and kills pretty much anything potentially

It's abstract

Retard there's plenty of shit that's experimental and actually has redeemable qualities. This album certainly holds its place in laying the groundwork for more experimental music, but it doesn't mean it sounds good.

it's just wacky and crass which aren't necessarily "shite" qualities, and it's full of catchy riffs, i don't know where the problem is. it takes time to "properly" like it but that also means it has the potential to be properly disorienting, which is imo a good, a rare quality

the fact that you can't tell that there is obvious structure and riffs in the songs makes me think you've never listened past a couple songs into the album

what the fuck? They spend months practising the same song structures over and over, you do realise they meant for it to sound like that.
>actually good
define 'actually good'

Don't you lot have anything better to do than create this exact thread every single day and reply to it the same thing you said yesterday?

clearly not

I like it because it's pretty nice to fall asleep to while also being something that can be analyzed lyrically and sonically.
Pic related is very similar to TMR, but more melancholy and less fast paced.

is it any different to how you're now acting like you're so above this album to score cool guy points with internet strangers, despite having nothing to say about it in dismissing it. you're now also bringing Zappa into this when he had a big part in producing the album, which you probably aren't aware of. no band is going to spend 8 months barely scraping by, tirelessly recording something that according to you should be achievable in one drunken studio session. you're delusional to think this is just a half-assed band of jokers screwing around with no direction.

how? how does it not sound good?
for something to be "good" do you have to like it the second listen? consider that you've been listening to different music your whole life and that will change how you perceive all other music and how you like it

the only album I unironically consider a pleb filter (depending in why people say they don't like it). this thread case in point

Bits of it are great and other bits not so much.
I find it a bit long to listen to it all in one sitting most of the time. But it is hilarious and when the rhythm section get it together it's fantastic.

I should also probably mention that there's a download link in the archives somewhere.

it's calculated bullshit

Some reasons why Trout Mask Replica is fantastic without using your buzzwords:

- It is hilarious

- It is completely unfiltered and childlike (something bands like Animal Collective try to imitate but fail because they do so through a Brooklyn indie hipster filter)

- There are instruments playing in
different keys and time signatures simultaneously (may be overwhelming or unpleasant if you're only used to pop and hip hop.)

- Bass fucking clarinet.

- It is extremely cathartic (or is that a no-no buzzword too?)

- No white man has ever had as good of a blues voice. (Tom Waits is close, but even he admits that he borrowed his style from Beefheart.)

- Top notch song titles

- Contains the greatest guitar motif of all time (When Big Joan Sets Up)

- 10/10 album cover

- a cappella pieces and "bush recordings" are well-spaced and provide relief from the cacauphony

- It's almost 50 years old and still has not been matched or surpassed yet (unless you consider Lick My Decals Off, Baby to be better, which is a valid opinion).

I didn't like this album the first time I heard it either, but it grew on me over the course of a few months when I would put it on in the background while driving/playing vidya/at work. Now I consider it an all time great. The millennials on this forum who claim that people only pretend to like it have not listened to it more than once, and most of them have not even managed to get through all 80 minutes in one sitting.

This opinion seems to be common here and is the result of cognitive dissonance. Any college dropout who took psych 101 knows how this works.

- Posters are aware that there is a widely celebrated 50 year old cult album that has a reputation for being extremely challenging and "experimental".

- Said posters think to themselves "I love experimental music like Radiohead/Grimes/Animal Collective/Danny Brown/Death Grips. I should have no trouble appreciating a 50 year old experimental album."

- Said posters try listening to the album once and are immediately repulsed by the disparity and dissonance of the instruments and lack of recognizable structure.

- Said posters then come here and contend that people only pretend to like this album to ease the feeling that they are missing out on an experience, which is caused by the conflicting facts that there is a beloved "experimental" album out there, but that they are unable to appreciate it themselves despite considering themselves fans of experimental music.

>but fail
but that's wrong
>because they do so through a Brooklyn indie hipster filter
that's not even close to a tangible reason, what the fuck does that even mean

As far as rock music goes, sure.

Pretty much my only complain with this album is that I wish the instrumentation wasn't mixed so low. In nearly every song Beefheart's singing overpowers the rest of the band.

It means that although they attempt to convey a nostalgic and unfiltered "happiness is being a child" feel, they are undermined by the fact that their sound includes too many trappings of the Brooklyn indie scene.

This isn't to say that I think AC are shit. I quite like feels And strawberry jam. But I do think it's worth pointing out that they are very obviously influenced by Beefheart's childlike outsider approach to music, but don't do nearly as good a job as he does at it.

Don is the worst part of the album

This

If anyone who has claimed to "enjoy" this album was killed the world would be a much better place

The fact that this album keeps being talked about since 69' tells you how influential and great this album is.

there's old grey with a sewing machine
where's the bobby pin
the dust blows forward n' the dust blows back

god, i love this album.

REEEEE! No it's obviously a meme Sup Forums created, no one liked Beefheart before Sup Forums came along!

no one likes you either

Basic
>basic