Sup Forums covers David Bowie

After the success of our 50-song Beatles cover album, we're continuing our David Bowie project!

Beatles album:
>hangingdong.bandcamp.com/album/covers-the-beatles
>mega.nz/#!ilcBALAS!uuHiWZe9pcZhgEu2E1Z3nhX4fkhYxJfAMvfOaxCAczE
>youtube.com/watch?v=3C5g69o5X_I
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hanging-dong/covers-the-beatles/

After the clusterfuck that was the Beatles album, we are going to be using a different claiming method this time. Pick a song that you want to cover from the list below, and email me at [email protected] with a rough timescale for when you will be able to finish it. If you simply claim a song in the thread but don't email, it will be ignored. This is because dozens of people drifted into the Beatles claiming thread, claimed a song, and then vanished forever. When songs are finished, they should be sent via email, not posted in the thread. This keeps an element of mystery about the final product.

Submission rules can be found in the first reply

THE SONG LIST:

No meme arrow signifies available
1 meme arrow signifies claimed

>The Laughing Gnome
>Space Oddity
The Width Of A Circle
>The Man Who Sold The World
>Changes
>Oh! You Pretty Things
>Life On Mars?
>Quicksand
>Queen Bitch
>The Bewlay Brothers
>Five Years
>Moonage Daydream
>Starman
>Lady Stardust
>Ziggy Stardust
>Suffragette City
>Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
>Aladdin Sane
>Drive-In Saturday
>Cracked Actor
>The Jean Genie (SUBMITTED)
>Lady Grinning Soul
>Future Legend / Diamond Dogs
Sweet Thing suite
>Rebel Rebel
>Young Americans
>Win
>Fame
>Station To Station
>Golden Years
>Wild Is The Wind
>Sound And Vision
>Always Crashing In The Same Car
>Warszawa
>Weeping Wall
Beauty And The Beast
>Heroes
>Sons Of The Silent Age
The Secret Life Of Arabia
>African Night Flight
>Scary Monsters
>Ashes To Ashes
>Teenage Wildlife
Strangers When We Meet
>I'm Afraid Of Americans
>Slow Burn
>Bring Me The Disco King
>Where Are We Now?
>Blackstar
>Lazarus

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6n3pFFPSlW4
youtube.com/watch?v=-0nn-35Tt-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=gqfSfaHMSjQ
frozenzoo.bandcamp.com/track/unfinished-lady-grinning-soul-cover
clyp.it/vis21uju
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

when are you expecting songs to get submitted? I am working on mine right now, as in learning to play the song well on the piano, and trying to pick an arrangement I like, but I wouldn't be able to give you any "update" apart from the programmed drum loop on Five Years

Rules for submissions:

>IF YOU CAN'T SING, ASK SOMEONE ELSE IN THE THREAD TO! Really want to push for strong vocals throughout on this project, so don't feel like you have to sing on your track if you don't feel comfortable doing so. There are plenty of good singers on this board who can help you out.

>This is a fairly serious project, and there will be quality control. Harsh noise won't be accepted, because fuck that shit. Please don't make your covers memey, I know there were a few on the Beatles one like that but I want this one to be a bit more serious.

>Poor audio quality will be rejected. By that I mean something like heavy background fuzz, don't worry if your recording equipment is not professional standard. Just listen to the Beatles album for acceptable sound quality.
>Don't send me guerilla mail. I prefer if submissions are wav files but I don't mind converting them myself.

>It has to be an actual cover of the song, not just you saying "We can be heroes" into the mic once and then playing unrelated music you wrote yourself for 5 minutes. Reinterpretations are very welcome though, see Day Tripper or Paperback Writer from the Beatles album as examples.

>Collabs are also welcome, if you need someone to play bass or drums or whatever for you, just ask in the thread. People collaborated numerous times on the last album to great success.

I'm sure it will take weeks for everything to be sent in, so there's really no rush. Assuming you claimed your song via email just update me every now and then on there

Meme school

M A X W E L L ' S
S I L V E R
H A M M E R

Damn my prediction that Laughing Gnome would be claimed last was wrong

I think Strangers When We Meet is going to be the last. It's a great song, but most of Sup Forums is not familiar with Bowie's later music (apart from Blackstar obviously)

Outside is very popular on Sup Forums

haven't been on Sup Forums in awhile

it's nice to see something like this is being organized

godspeed anons

Halfway through Sound & Vision vocals today.
I got wood.

Check out the finished Beatles one, it's unironically good

DON'T YOU WONDER SOMETIMES

weeping wall is crazy hard to emulate perfectly so I'm going to make more of a reinterpretation of it. you'll still be able to tell it's weeping wall though

bout SOUND AND VISION

BLUE BLUE 'LECTRIC BLUE

Whomstever has Heroes better kill it

Whoever gets strangers when we meet better cover the version from Buddha of Suberbia.

Haha ha
Hehe he
youtu.be/6n3pFFPSlW4

daily reminder that this is the best version of the laughing gnome
youtube.com/watch?v=-0nn-35Tt-Y

Doing some coke to get me in the right frame of mind to record StS

If you still remember recording it afterwards, you did it wrong.

meme school

Reminder that Help! is the ultimate pleb filter on Covers The Beatles

t.the guy who covered Help! and got shat on

t. the guy who made Something

No the ultimate pleb filter was Hard Days Night. If you couldn't enjoy that absolute fucking riot, you are a pleb of the highest order

t. the guy who made A Hard Day's Night

>not Here There And Everywhere

Shittiest track ever

plebeian

Dude, we didn't like your track, but calm down, you'll get better:)

>you'll get better
Possibly

t. cuck

Gee user, I thought we were on Sup Forums not Sup Forums

>someone doesn't like a track I liked, better call him a cuck.
Grow up dude

usual shitshow going on, nice

guy doing warszawa still at it?

That's dodging the point. You do in fact cuck.

yes.

Boycott this and all future Hanging Dong albums. He is a fraud and a talentless hack who steals other people's work and claims the credit for it. He credits artists with a footnote in song description pages which no one sees anyway and instead uses his trip name on behalf of everyone.

how would you rather him credit the artists?

>People submit covers
>the people who gave him the info's names are listed on the beatles album
???

Whoever does Strangers When We Meet do it like this
youtube.com/watch?v=gqfSfaHMSjQ

>wanting credit on an anonymous vietnamese power tools forum

>Willingly sign up, record, and give your song off knowing full well what you're getting
>This is somehow unfair
I'm pretty sure someone anonymously posting a cover expecting it to be on an album wouldn't expect to receive much credit

if you thought that the drop in Lucy off the Beatles album made you want to dance, just you fucking wait until you hear Sons of the Silent Age
shit is groovy

For Lady grinning soul I basically deconstructed the song and built it back up. I know we're not supposed to go too crazy with taking liberties on the songs but it still has the same structure and I'm really happy with it. I might post what I have so far if anyone wants to hear.

weeping wall and moonage daydream are both almost done, just need to do vocals for both of them, although finding time to do the vocals for moonage daydream will be tough. but both are completely done instrumentally

Halfway through Space Oddity, it's been messy, but I think it's gonna be great when it's done.

Sounds shit

kys

Progress on Bewley Brothers is going well, gonna start recording tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to get close to that reverse guitar sound in the chorus? Ive got it sounding fairly close using a volume pedal, but I'd like to know if anybody has had good results with something else to produce that kind of sound.

alright I submitted weeping wall, its lit

Please post what you have, its one of my fav Bowie songs

>letting a 16 year old noisefag make weeping wall

I was gonna say this. I used an email attached to my name so I HOPE hanging song is cool and won't put my name on a fucking Sup Forums album

Fuck you might get disappointed

You can tell him how you want to be addressed and if you want to, but he won't use your real name or anything unless you want to, he is a cool guy.

Before you listen you should know that I sort of deconstructed the original and built it back up. I really wanted this to be my own.

frozenzoo.bandcamp.com/track/unfinished-lady-grinning-soul-cover

"Heroes" guy reporting in
I said it could be done by this weekend but that won't be; happened to get a power outage the one day I was going to able to track guitars, so this coming weekend will be the next time I'm able to. But I WILL get it done then, and will try to have the mixing finished within a week.
Working towards a dense dreamgaze sound, possibly with a trip-hop beat and possibly with a HANL-esque industrial post-punk beat. Still experimenting with different sounds, I want to do it justice since it's a great Bowie song

I like the overall sound but the drums seem to go off beat a lot

Yeah I always do drums first as a dummy track to built off of and then go back and re record them

btw in case you folks wanted to hear how weeping wall sounds, best I could do without actually recording a vibraphone and xylophone lmao

clyp.it/vis21uju

Lol I might?
Totally something I wasnt't expecting, but still something worth listening. I'm looking forward to hear the vocals. Also, are you thinking of adding piano? The piano is a huge part of the song

oh I see, well other than that I think it sounds nice

Remember if you can't play it you can ask in the thread

I was thinking about having some more synth arpeggios

Do you think you could come up with something and send it to me?

FUCK, DID SOMEONE ELSE GET SPACE ODDITY?

I didn't even know this was happening :`(

Yeah dude, I sent Dong an email before we started with the treads, what are we gonna do?

Do you want me to help you? I can multitrack and sing like a motherfucker.

I am almost finished with it, a couple of friends are helping me out with it, i can send you a rough mix maybe tomorrow and you can give me some feedback, maybe I can send you an email and see how things work out senpai

GROUND CONTROL TO MAJOR DONG

Nah it's fine. If you're finished then it's no use. It's cool.

You sure about that senpai? Well thanks man, I know it's a important song, I hope we nail it, maybe give me your email and work thinks around it, maybe you can do something if you want to, I don't want anyone willing to work on this project to feel left off.

he can just pick another song so don't feel bad. I didn't get the song I wanted so I picked another one I also liked

Nah, it's all good. I noticed that Let's Dance isn't on the list at all, and no one is even bothering to claim the remaining ones. I'm gonna try to do that instead.

Based Oddity

No, do Modern Love

Alright mate, hope you get a great song, thanks.

this

He won't accept that song

Damn shame there's no kick drum to be heard. It really kills the beat of the song.

how do you know nobody is claiming them, it's done over email

READ THE OP IDIOT

>the OP posted half a day ago
>no one has emailed dong in that time
sure

dong is really good about updating the thread when a new song is claimed

dr worm here from the Beatles project.

I don't listen to that much Bowie so I'm not claiming a song, but if anyone needs vocals, let me know. I'll be lurking these threads

bump

>no 'Tis A Pity She Was a Whore

what the hell dude

Why is The Laughing Gnome on here but not Blue Jean, Modern Love or Let's Dance

>no Rock n Roll With Me
I thought strong vocals were the point of this?

Because people think Let's Dance was overrated, and therefore inferior even thought it's still a good ass album.

page 10 save rave

>80s plebshit

OOOOH OOOOOH OOOOOOH OOOOOH

Bump bump bump

coming to this craazyy late, but if you are so worried about good vocals you could've included a few more of Low and Heroes' instrumental tracks
bedroom ambient stuff is what Sup Forums does best, it would've been cool to hear someone interpret Sense of Doubt

kys

Alright, since I broke up with my gf last night I have all the time in the world so tonight's gonna be starting.

Hereby claiming Beauty and the Beast.

Can I claim Sorrow? It's not on the list