Best engineering field?

best engineering field?

why

nuclear
pays extremely well, and nuclear energy is arguably the most sustainable and important energy source

>inb4 environmental engineer cucks

agreed but there is literally one nuclear reactor here and its like barely on

Mine Engineering.
You're always gonna need shit from the earth and it pays pretty fucking well too.

big money is important but like i would like to have something that also provides some level of say moral coverage

You looking for advice in what field to pursue in school? In that case, best bet is to get what education you can given whats available to you, and then move out of state or even out of country if thats doable. There's a ton of nuclear reactors abroad that you could work out that would result in a fulfilling and enjoyable career.

>moral coverage

well, I was gonna say oilfield engineering

nah maybe to automate it. that would be cool. this is the best thing about consulting / analysis/ economics / etc. you make your money coming and going. i guess its not the same in the real world

op here

double major in electrical and mechanical in my last year

such a diverse field and i have had a few internships so i could send myself a lot of places

not sure which path to choose

thoughts on electrical engineering?

Not really sure what moral coverage is. But if it makes you feel any better safety and environmental protection is pretty important in the industry.

imo one of the best fields

electricity is so interesting

look up how a tesla coil works, it's going to blow your mind

marine engineering. hands on, less maths, super cool. massive salary in the right spot. 6 months a year off

thoughts on much of engineering in the US being about military rather than research where it matters?

That's pretty cool, how hard did you have to work for those?

moral coverage i guess means that whatever work you do has little to no effect on what the organization does. say you are an economist or consultant or analyst or accountant or any of these types of jobs. you do your job and present your findings in a report or whatever. you have done your job and your conscience is clear. you did your shit by the book or whatever and were even handed, totally fair, etc. if the organization takes on what you wrote or whatever and says yeah this is good shit thanks fam, you get paid and you feel good or whatever, if they dont like what you said you still get paid and feel less good or whatever but at the end of the day, its not on you.

also when you are 'consulting' you are charging insane hourly rates to these big fucking companies to do work you can do with your eyes closed. Its a neat robin hood type deal.

Mechatronics engineering

fucking hard. i was top of my class until about a year ago when i gave up school wise and started focusing more on finding jobs

applied to 200+ ended up at mit which got the ball rolling

just found out i could have done mechatronics lol

pretty cool. is it one of those if you make it to end youre set degrees?

Mech Engie here.

Had a friend go into the petroleum industry and made insane money. But he had to work 60-80 work weeks.

i'm hoping...currently at a 3.5 gpa expecting to drop to 3.2 by the end probably

only thing that sucks is it's 5 years, so all your friend graduate the year before you and stuff

also no social life but its not too bad. bunch of nerds playing vidya together

samefag here

forgot to mention he was also Mech Engie.

you work in the field? how is it

EE here. it is an excellent field and the job market is hungry for software engineers.

There are many different routes you can take as a student of EE. analog design (arguably the most dry and math intensive, not really any jobs for it), semiconductor/microprocessor (digital circuits/cadence/switching theory), optics/photonics (really niche wouldnt recommend as an undergrad), software engineering (highly recommend because your job will likely involve programming in some degree), and then you have the classic large-scale power classes that involve PLC programming, AC/DC, power grids.

neu?

How is aerospace engineering? I love planes and rockets and am pretty good at logic and abstract concepts, so would it be a good field to go in?

yes actually good guess

did the coops give it away?

do it

My degree is in welding engineering (small major only offered by a few schools) and I currently work in mechanical design, doing stuff an ME would do.

Electrical or Mechanical will always be in demand.

advice for getting a bachelor with honours without graduating high school ? (im not a dropkick parents went through rough time during year 11 and ended up moving alot)

electrical, mechanical but mainly looking to get into nuclear

yup, the 5 year degree too
I'm a Mechi that graduated last year. Engineers really do get slammed with work compared to Business and others, but there's a kind of peace that comes with the stress

electromechanical engineering with emphasis in aeronautical development, literally building rockets and shit, working with plasma.
in the worst case scenario you end up with a juicy contract from a big company and in the best scenario you get to fucking mars and get a nobel

you better hear the doubles of the thuth

Also EE is the arguably the hardest engineering discipline (as a student) out of the entire engineering spectrum. We use the most mathematics, and harness electricity (whether it be from an analog/digital/computer standpoint) and program pretty much anything. The learning curve is pretty high, and not many students can withstand the trials of EE coursework.

when differential equations came back into the picture i wanted to an hero

hell yeah dude that's sweet. it's definitely tough going back to classes after working three jobs and not having to do homework

It is certainly a field of study that requires a lot of patience and perseverance. it scares a lot of people away due to the application of high level mathematics (eg signal processing, statistical learning, algorithms)

>Also EE is the arguably the hardest engineering discipline
I've heard that on more than one occasion. Do you do anythign with FPGAs or the like? Do you know Verilog?

electrical engineering

it's fun and pays pretty good and most good colleges can get you an internship which can land a good job but that's from my experience

its beyond me. its far past my realm.

how much you making?

i'm trying to get 6 figs at least

as a student, i was required to program vhdl/verilog using the altera quartus ide in some intro coursework.. I didnt see much "hands on" after that even though I did take graduate level coursework in switching theory and design for test dlc (fault propagation tecniques for microprocess/ASICs).

Im 2 months into a sofware engineering job at a research and development facility, and its pretty awesome since theres not really any deadlines and I pretty much get paid to learn EE. Right now Im doing projects that concern computer vision, but I do expect to be able to do things with FPGAs in the future.

That's why I'm one

still at an internship hoping to be hired by end of q1 of 2017

marine engineering,
niche field noone knows about, months on months off, great pay. surprisingly versatile work, can be in cities or small towns anywhere with a small body of water.

Controls Engineering is where it's at

shit i should have done this

i live down the street from maritime academy

>moral coverage

why are you in STEM at all? Sociology, gender studies, genderqueer feminist interpretive dance therapy?

stem has moral coverage.

Social engineering. Cause why not?

>thatsthejoke.fgt

STEM is actually doing shit to solve the worlds problems instead of whining about first world non issues.

Getting on a moral high horse about mining when it is absolutely going to fucking happen regardless of whether or not you choose to participate, however, is tumblr level faggotry.

>Getting on a moral high horse about mining when it is absolutely going to fucking happen regardless of whether or not you choose to participate

That makes me sad, user :(

yeah its about your personal choices. Its farcical to suggest that just you should do something you find morally questionable because if you don't someone else will. i think youre retarded enough to have some sort of built-in high pressure salesman forcing you to do dumb things.

...or you could contribute and actually make mining safer, and better for the environment.

Moralfagging instead of solving problems.

It's not mining that i find objectionable. its the general culture of the mining companies and their lack of giving a fuck.

DifEq wasn't terrible but it sucked pretty bad, I'm a ME and taking Calc 3 and Dynamics rn, finals gonna kick my ass

That's a fair argument.

Social Engineering is a very contemporary field of engineering.

The name is relatively new. The practice however, is probably the first form of engineering.

civil or structural engineering, the only engineers that do anything.

I'm a computer engineering as of now. I love it because I love working with circuitry.

Pick any field, the immediately proceed to MBA or law degree where you can make real money without being a serf.

>Social Engineering

topkek

I want to be a civil engineer because it's like Legos for adults. If I'm not mistaken, they have the highest job satisfaction out of all engineering fields.

we talked about law and i specifically said i want to work at a law office before making a decision and what did you do? nothing.

If we are just picking names out a magic hat why not architect?

>Law

You are fucking stupid. Unless you go to a top 10 school, you won't get any work, and you'll be massively in debt. Look at the job market, fuck

audio engineering because it's just as much art as mechanics and without it all of your favorite music would be sonically awful

>they have the highest job satisfaction out of all engineering fields

the hell does that mean?

Because the industry is flooded with people with architecture degrees, and you won't be able to get a job.

Civil engineering is a little harder, with more math, but you'll have a job. They don't do as much creative with as architects, but they work with architects and still have plenty of creative freedom.

good $$$

Pretty sure that means they don't come home pissed off because their boss is an idiot, having them fill in holes they dug yesterday, get paid fairly well, and come home and fuck the living shit out of someone they actually enjoy being with.

That sounds like satisfaction to me.

>Look at the job market, fuck

clearly this user has never heard of patent lawyers. kek

JIDF on their lunch break detected.

patent and copyright lawyers are literally the worst people ever. its like the two types i would never do.

>don't do as much creative with as architects

*I meant creative "work", not "with"

Software engineering Beeeeooottccchhh!

If you want to be a patent lawyer, you have to have an undergrad degree in a scientific or technical field. You can't just pick "any degree"

point is a stem degree coupled with a law degree is deadly. you are considered a highly prized commodity in the job market.

Pay attention skippy.

If you're going to ultimately get a law degree, go for Civil, Chemical or Mechanical. Figure out if you want to be suing landlords or doctors.

If MBA, then Mechanical or Electrical, then get started on the product marketing / management corporate stooge ladder.

You really don't want to be working as a grunt engineer for long in any of these fields. Rajeesh and Jiang Jong will always be willing to work longer and cheaper than you (and some of them are even good).

But a technical education is highly valued in other fields.
MILF lawyer on the left.

the thing about engineers is they think they are top shit. They think they are "intelligent" because they make something look nice on a piece of paper. I argue every day with engineers. they have no hands on experience, and have to be the biggest half wits of all

>"any degree"

he responded to OP and said any field. no one said any degree to be a patent lawyer, thats just silly.

cram it jerk off. i already have one of those meme double degrees which was meant to be a very highly specialized very sought after thing and i am no where

>I'm an uneducated machinist

well maybe you should have went to a real school instead of De Vry or ITT tech. top kek

its the 3-4 best school in the backwater i live in.
just the thought of another degree makes me want to vomit already. not only do i have to another degree i have to continue living here.

you a bit buthurt? that people without a "degree" know your job 20 times better than you?

our job is to design/test , your job is to build you filthy peasant. ofc we dont want to dirty our hands, thats why we put up with a shit for brains technician .. but you really should keep your mouth shut. we got our asses railed in school, you didnt. your uneducated opinion isnt valued.

You don't.
You're just too ignorant to know all the things you don't know.

there are "theoretical" engineers who sit at desks and drafting tables, and then there are engineers who get their hands dirty and actually know what the fuck their talking about because they've seen it, saw it broken a million fucking times and then fucking fixed it (at a fraction of the cost of implementing the fuckup)

Hope you get a great teaching job with that english degree.

Electrical Engineering, 90% of the world runs of some energy source converted to electricity to do things. When you take that major, you need to chose "above or below an amp" of knowledge. Above an amp, motors, power lines, generators and RF transmission come into play. Below an amp, microelectronics, firmware / software, FPGAs, PALs, lower power battery systems. Know how to code with an EE degree and you can write your own ticket to almost anything in the tech community.

CpE so long as you also take controls - fun and some crazy opportunities.

Most computer engineers are just EEs who don't do e-mag (antennas and crap). Also Civ-E's just build targets.

Chem-E is probably hardest and deserves most respect.

>Most computer engineers are just EEs who don't do e-mag (antennas and crap)

>>>antennas and crap

software defined radio has changed my fucking life.

nah, EEs have it harder than you guys. We use higher level mathematics (cutting edge even in some instances (ie statistical/machine learning).

why is it that all engineers come to agree with me?
because they have no idea what they are doing and have a program do everything from them

>why is it that all engineers come to agree with me?

Because you live in Fantasyland?

because I'm not a half wit and know how engineering works and how to make everything structurally sound without a degree