How would we go about drawing up a musical spectrum?

>How would we go about drawing up a musical spectrum?
>Are these close to being the distinguishing traits of music?
Also, where would certain compositions fall on this graph?

Nay

Choatic should be changed to non-melodic.

Non melodic should be changed back to chaotic

fuck you

This or 'dissonant'

Also 'arranged' vs 'improvised' is a weird axis. Maybe 'accessible' vs 'inaccessible'?

I'm open to other suggestions.

fuck you

I had trouble figuring out what the extremes should be. I came at this from a different angle last semester, but had to put the project down because of other shit. Now that I've come back to it, you're right, dissonant is a better way to put it.

I'm actually averse to improvised v. arranged as well, but I'm not sure that accessible and inaccessible are the right ranges, because that's kind of relative. I'm hoping we could build this thing to stand up without taste or identity as a reference.

Expressionism is accessible to certain people more than it is to others, for example.

fuck you

Pet Sounds for top left

Quality posting, user.
I'm gonna award you this kek pot.

I was imagining that with the current graph, you'd find a lot of classical music on that end of the spectrum, with real jazz being pretty inversely located.

You're right. Maybe 'minimalist' vs 'maximalist'? I mean regardless of what you choose it'll be subjective

The Money Store for right above TMR
Philosophy of the world for bottom right

fuck you

Those are definitely better reference points.
Went ahead and improved the graph, I think.

*you

if you are going to do this for real, as in quantify the actual parts of different pieces of music to give them numeric values and then place them on each axis, there is still going to be a large subjective element. Certainly the perception of melodic vs chaotic is something that people can experience differently. You would need to do a larger scale study to have many people quantify the works in the same way.

We'd just end up with Good Morning Good Night on the bottom left if we did that

I'm mostly just doing this for personal purposes, and basically throwing the idea out there. I genuinely believe modern musical theory could be improved if we more closely studied the distinguishable qualities of music, and a lot of pop artists intentionally do this already from what I've seen. Just sharing this here because the chances are pretty high that I'll run into someone who knows more about this shit than I do, and that's an opportunity for me to learn some new stuff.

What's Good Morning Good Night?

Epic

top left: MBDTF
bottom left: Cory Feldman
top right: MM.. Food
bottom right: Views

You're not working off the same definition of meme here.

>Maybe 'accessible' vs 'inaccessible'?
that's even more vague/arguable than the one he used
what would the accessible/dissonant/chaotic square be? Skrillex?

hmm

what about happy vs sad or something?
Because dissonant music is already inaccessible to many people.

i think you're funny user, don't worry

accessibility is subjective, as is consonance

chaotic/organized or minimal extravagant and happy/sad is pretty good imo

sippedy ebic

Simple vs complex
Happy vs sad

I wrote that post like a fucking retard

You can't classify music into two such specific specific emotions as "happy" and "sad"
There's music that just doesnt fit in any of those, what about death grips for example? It's not in any way happy, but it's not sad either. It's just angry as fuck
And anyways, using emotions is as subjective as it gets. It's never gonna get completely objective when discussing music, but you have to try to avoid opinions and perspectives as much as possible. Music that may seem happy to someone could cause sadness in someone else

i like dissonant. it's opposite would be consonant. and improv/arranged can stay. in/accessible is more a function of the musics aesthetics imo

How about a 3rd axis?

pls define "real jazz"

Energetic (or uplifting) vs calm

how is views not a meme

AUTISM SPEAKS

I like this one

Actually yeah, this could hilarious.

Instead of dissonant say abstract

All music is memetic
This definition of meme here is probably better framed as Sup Forumscore----Normiecore

Nigga we can only post 2D images here

Can we have a thread like this one but instead with an autism spectrum

why?

tmr is melodic when compared to actual free jazz, let alone something like free improvisation or harsh noise

the best chart in this thread

The green axis is backwards

all of these albums are pretty much the same shit

expand your horizons kiddo

>tfw u have severe autism.

Those were album covers I already had on hand, fuccboi.

fyi listening to radio jazz and rym core doesn't make you cultured.