Thoughts on the smiths?

thoughts on the smiths?

greatest manchester band to ever exist, and possibly one of the greatest bands to ever exist in general.

Band for hipster stupid girls

My favourite band tbqhwy famazoid

Great songwriters but 2pretentious4me

I fucking hate Morrissey voice

one of the GOATs

Comfy, great lyrics and helps if you are from the UK and get his references
People who hate the smiths take them too seriously, they aren't the best and they aren't amazing musicians but just good pop music

this 2bh

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job. - Morissey

A brave band, willing to tell Britain the home truths that nearly all pop bands dodged. Morrissey is acerbic but also makes contact to the lost romantic adolsecent in each of us in a way no-one has managed before or since. Brilliant guitar from Marr and their last two albums are superbly produced gems.

The only way they could be improved is if Morrissey stopped making the turgid shit music he's been making since Ringleader of the Tormentors.

Fantastic guitarwork. Johnny Marr is great

Morrissey is a fucking hack and brought them from potentially great to pedestrian singlehandedly. I can't stand his voice at all.

also these

>Morrissey is a fucking hack and brought them from potentially great to pedestrian singlehandedly. I can't stand his voice at all.
Morrissey is the only thing seperating them from other generic jangle pop bands like the wedding presents. His lyrics set them apart

>fantastic guitar work
Good riffs but fantastic my ass. On their own his guitar work isn't at all notable

Utter fucking whiny bullshit

The Smiths ARE a generic jangle pop band. Morrissey didn't save them from anything but greatness.

Marr's work had a consistent tone, but no, it wasn't original. Nothing from Manchester during that time was.

Pretty damn good, not the best band of all time but they definitely stand out in a positive way which is worth something in and of itself

>Nothing from Manchester during that time was
Yes there was. The tons of post-punk that came out around that time in manchester was original

>The Smiths ARE a generic jangle pop band
They are, apart from the lyrics which is why I dispute your claim that marr the generic guitarist was way better than morrissey who set them apart
What greatness do you think they were heading for if it wasn't for morrissey? They were generic jangle pop without him

There was better Post-Punk.

Like Sonic Youth. Sonic Youth > Smiths

What the fuck are you talking about?
Neither sonic youth or the smiths were post-punk
I guess you could argue that the smiths - s/t was post punk but you obviously don't know what you're talking about

babbys first basic 'alternative' white girl music

no you are not 'deep' or 'kooky', bethany/zooey/lucy/poppy, go listen to taylor swift you dumb fucking bitch

>Marr - 4 matches
>Morrissey - 9 matches
>Rourke - 0 matches

>greatest manchester band
sure
>greatest band to ever exist
no way

Well, you did describe it as post-punk. And in a way, they kind of were. I'd argue that any music that takes the punk ethic and tries to apply it to a different sound at that time is post-punk.

I didn't describe the smiths as post punk if you read it properly

idk if its ironic but thats tarantino...

If only that was true for the girls I know desu

Meat Is Murder, Hatful of Hollow and The Queen is Dead are God Tier, with the first two being in my top 20, even 15 easily.

Bretty gud.