HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!

>inb4 babies' first experimental album
>wannabe pleb
>i bet you hear to farts by 2 hours and think it's art
>cringe core

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/quotes/257687-for-me-the-last-few-years-of-the-postmodern-era
goodreads.com/quotes/165289-irony-and-cynicism-were-just-what-the-u-s-hypocrisy-of
youtube.com/watch?v=u2j578jTBCY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Post modernism ruined music

but that's a legit musically rich album full of original ideas and interesting combinations

no way mate, what makes you think that?

JK! JK ! I love the album :3

No! It's bad because I said so, I don't care if it's been critically aclaimed for 40+ years! It doesn't sound like Mac DeMarco or Tame Impala so it SUCKS!

Welcome to The Residents, OP.

Enjoy your stay.

>tfw spinning an original pressing of the Duck Stab EP

because without value systems we cant progress and become better not just as people but as individuals. post modernism is about removing borders and value systems and replacing it with pure chaos

Hi, can we be friends, are you happy, can we have a salad together?

Incorrect

Post modernism is about recognizing that chaos, hatred and filth, and celebrating it as a facet of life.

The most normal you'll meet may grin at a car accident. Remember that.

Speaking of og pressings, I got the clear version of this? Does anyone else love it as much as I do? I feel like it's super underrated.

this

I think the story is cool but it's not very interesting musically

chaos is a part of life but shouldnt be celebrated as the end all of existence. you want to remove value systems that have kept humanity going since it started, so we can destroy each other faster. post modernism is ultimately based in marxism which is a jewish plot to destroy the west

Post-modernists are okay with the Jews destroying the West, as we find it fucking hilarious.

So sould I get into the residents with this album? I've seen some videos and liked them

I know you're just making a gag, but yeah, that all makes sense.

I don't know what to tell you, user, other than just step outside of it all and appreciate the cyclical nature of life itself.

I'd say listen to the Duck Stab EP first

Not just music, society in general.
Now everything has to be layered in 10 levels of irony, you have to assume that nobody is serious or has any conviction whatsoever, and people have basically just become armchair critics of everything without actually doing shit to change it.

Compilation albums are the bane of musicians, put together by lazy album execs who need to make a quick $10k fast.

However, The Residents changed their sound, vales, direction and purpose itself, nearly every five years.

So find a comp by them and pursue which songs sound most appealing. Petting Zoo is an EXCELLENT starting point.

Have to wonder if we're just crazy, you know?

The Residents are for children unwilling to listen to actually good experimental music by John Cage, La Monte Young, Morton Feldman, and Christian Wolf.

Oh please, do go fuck yourself. The Residents have always been based in determining melody over creating new ground. They are Oklahoma, except everyone is cannibalistic.

And they have always certainly been self-aware of this. If this is honestly your opinion that makes you seem above others, just wrong motherfucker.

>post modernism is ultimately based in marxism
Now I'm interested in postmodernism.

There is nothing wrong with Postmodernism. These composers as mentioned in but also broadly including Karlheinz Stockhausen, Pierre Boulez, Luciano Berio, Leonard Bernstein (Mass), John Adams...they're incredibly intelligent, brilliant musicians creating genius music.

Anyone who criticizes Postmodernism doesn't know anything about it.

You can agree that things are chaos while also not becoming slave to that idea, and fighting for every scrap of order you can find as long as it creates meaning.

recommend me records/pieces for introduce me to them

John Cage - Sonatas & Interludes, ...but what of the sounds of crumpling paper, Imaginary Landscapes
Morton Feldman - Coptic Light, Triadic Memories, Rothko Chapel

I always felt like the difference between post modernists and contemporaries is that the former isn't angry about it. They don't necessarily feel the need to buck anything, they desire to roll with the punches so they can do their own thing.

And even accidental, this fits in with their philosophy, as they adapted to every new trend they could.

Man NEETs are pathetic, using Calvin & Hobbes for discourse!

Simplest terms, motherfucker. All maths boil down to explaining things in a 1+1=2 fashion.

Do you have any arguments of your own?

The Residents are for people who listen to those artists and want to hear something catchy.

Oh you fucking illiterate is this reddits definition of PoMo

the problem will always be what it always is, the vast majority of people don't even understand the philosophies underlying their actions and they are the mass that will change things. It's all about the meme. You;ll always find a subreddit or a thread where some people bother discussing these things, but most people just operate without anything close to as much consideration. People don't like to consider that they might be wrong.

Postmodernism is deeply anti-theoretical. It is elusive as it does not offer a theoretical framework that can be verified and falsified. The terminology is obscurantist. Postmodernists equate scientific theories with ‘narratives’. Reality, truth and meaning are socially constructed. Truth is dependent on contextual factors. Reason is no longer necessarily preferred over unreason, nor is any moral code binding. According to postmodern authors, reality is not mirrored in human understanding of it, but is rather constructed.
van Zon, H., 2013, “The unholy alliance of neoliberalism and post-modernism”, Vlaams Marxistisch Tijdschrift, Vol.47, No. 2, pp.110-114

Are you sure you want to talk about this in a Residents thread? They were, lyrically, always about pointing out the obvious flaws in society and how we live our lives. The Mole trilogy itself was a analogy for how American society niche'd itself into perpetual self-hatred.

Not to mention their very recent outputs focusing on madness [stemming from society].

But celebrating chaos has never been a philosophy that has worked for anything/anyone. Taking chaos over discipline in life only leads to things going so far out of control that things get downright awful; without routine I, a person with a life of chaos through depression and alcoholism, wouldn't be alive; nor would the greats ever get good at what they do. Chaotic regimes in Africa vs orderly governments in Scandinavian countries have different qualities of life for a reason. A more regulated financial industry would've stopped the 2007-2008 recession from happening, but we had instead a far more chaotic speculative betting market. Layers of irony/relativism in communication only drives people apart rather than bring them together, as we can see in politics now. By taking nothing seriously, even the most dangerous and illogical ideologies like ISIS and Neo-nazism get taken seriously.

>Reality, truth and meaning are socially constructed.

Explain how this is wrong.

So it seems no one can criticize Postmodernism without relying on copypastas and memes.

That's pretty pathetic. Shows you how much the critics know about art

>Defining postmodernism

postmodernism is only a bad thing when people overanalyze it and take it way too seriously holy shit
it has it's place in art, and it's certainly not ruining it

oh yeah and you paraphrasing books you read is so MUCH better
thanks ld

>Anyone who criticizes Postmodernism doesn't know anything about it.
So, DFW didn't know anything about Postmodernism?
goodreads.com/quotes/257687-for-me-the-last-few-years-of-the-postmodern-era
goodreads.com/quotes/165289-irony-and-cynicism-were-just-what-the-u-s-hypocrisy-of

Damn...Derrida btfo!! Why do academics even exist anymore this one video game playing neckbeard solved the equation to life wtf I love America and capitalism now

youtube.com/watch?v=u2j578jTBCY

I hate capitalism, is Postmodernism right for me?

Oh boy, more people not using their own knowledge and relying on the work of others with no actual comment

It's not about damning anything. Certainly not anything that keeps one alive. It's about recognizing that filth that makes a healthy, ordinary person want to take a razor and kill themselves. That's just an analogy, and I'm in far too good a mood to be extreme, so maybe you get the point.

What drives an ordinary person to do extraordinary things? Sounds like a premise for a movie until that ordinary person extraordinary shoots up a mall. It's about not ignoring that.

I'm frustrated you because you're too fucking contemporary, but I do understand where you're coming from. But I do want to make one thing clear, fanaticism is not chaos. It's clearly very structured and conditioned. And post-modernists would never, ever, kill anyone under order of a supposed God.

Not unless we are paid for it.

watch

>David memester Wallace

no discernible talent

Do you have any input of your own?

I don't need to watch a Youtube video to know our type is derided.

Yeah, we're overfocused on attaching acronyms to life. It's our fucking hobby, damn it. Without it we'll just die.

Oh boy, more goalpost-moving.
You claimed that nobody who criticizes Postmodernism knows anything about it, I linked you to an anti-Postmodernist who knows about Postmodernism.

first prove that any of us have any original thought.

So what you're saying is you have nothing to bring to this conversation, only someone else who is completely unrelated to this discussion currently?

>Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated.
>If you say, I love you, then you have already fallen in love with language, which is already a form of break up and infidelity.
>Music is the final manifestation of Love, under whence there will be but nothing left to discover once this has become.
>Music is only one avenue of transcendence that does not, in fact, "transcend," merely repeat unto itself the old structures of thinking one might use words not to, again, "transcend," but to do that again to it.

Impossible, all thought can be derived from experience, hence dissolving the idea.

But an idea can be advertised that no-one has seen before.

Take a simple, sentence-worthy idea, stretch it into a page of autism, move your hands smoothly while you talk and say "as you well know, as I'm sure you know" and *aloof ejaculation* ur a continental intellect

I'd like to think the Residents would be moderately pleased with the outcome of this thread.