TLDR at bottom-

TLDR at bottom-

Hi Sup Forums. Turned 18, 3 days ago. Took ASVAB November 9th, Navy recruiter came to my house, I wasnt home, he'll be back tomorrow.

Apparently I scored pretty high. I havent even seen my scores myself.

My original plan is go for welder or Deputt Sheriff. Pretty cheap and easy for the certifications for them and great money, easy jobs.

However- I wasnt considering going into the military- but I see it as an opportunity, but at the same time I dont want to be deployed for 4 year periods, which is what veered me off topic the most. If I were to go in I'd want to go strictly Marines, which I know is a branch of the Navy. However, I realize I'd just be a pawn once I'm recruited and its so-long from there.

Anyone in the Navy or Marines here give me some insight on what to expect or any info on what it's like being in the military? I'm pretty sure I scored high on the mechanical and electrical areas of the ASVAB btw

>TLDR; Have chance to go in NAVY, whats it like to be in NAVY or Marines? Physical requirement and duty? Also list occupation plox

Thanks

Dear OP, if you end up serving thank you

Yw. Also thanks for valuable info user

Go Army Infantry, don't be a pog.

I mean if you join you can get free college? Also its only four years man. Going to enlist once I graduate this year into the Marines.

If you scored pretty high the Navy will probably force you into the Nuke program, which it is really interesting and you receive a shit ton of education from that alone, but your life will suck the entire time.

Why would it suck?

I wasnt really going for free college. If anything its the giant chunk of money I have when I get out, from just sitting there lol. I mean it'd be a bonus- but I also decided to be a welder or LE bc I'm sick of school and hate it

I have too much self pride to join the army.

OP i'm in don't join the fucking marine corps we will eat your soul and on the real you will most likely fucking hate life if you do end up joining though just know this recruiter need you you don't need them there buying you not the other way around you have all the power so pick a job you wont hate for 4 years... also don't be a fucking fat shit bag... user. also i can anwser any questions you got.

You know that this campaing is being paid by the american taxpayer, don't you?

Dont refer to the Marines as a branch of the Navy

>Deputt Sheriff
>great money
>easy jobs

Yeah, nah. Be a welder, electrician, carpenter, literally anything other than LEO related. The stress isn't worth any salary, let alone the pennies they will pay you. If I could do it all over again I would definitely have gone into a trade. Especially today with all the bullshit going on in our hug-a-thug society.

>deployed for 4 years at a time
You don't deploy for 4 years, you're in for 4, 6 if you go nuke but 2 years of that will be tech school

What do you do in the MC and how long have you been in, and why did you decide to join?

hes just a fucking dirty civi just like you stfu

Been in the navy almost 3 years.
Pretty nice
Military benefits are A1
ama OP

POG 1341
just under 4
didn't have shit going on wanted free school

Was something like that, 4, 6, 8.

I might have a shot at a sponsorship that starts me off at 44k a year and pays for my schooling- with the bonus of everything else you get.

Why? Arent they?

I'm a active duty USAF Staff Sergeant 8+ years. I formerly pursued a career in law enforcement but it was too competetive in southern california and I lacked a shoe-in.

Any branch is a great way to jump start your life; it all depends on what you are personally interested in and whether or not you can fix your interests to a specific branch because of x, y, and z.

Don't get big-headed over a big score; most jobs can be obtained with a 70 or higher and most people piss it away with some shit job because they want to leave early for basic or just don't know what they want and they pick open-general. Don't do that.

My only advice is to find something that interests you and can make you money on the outside world. If you are going to give the military the best years of your life, be sure to leave with more than just the GI Bill and some good times.

I am an air traffic controller. If I wasn't bound to my contract still, I could be in Kandahar next week making $180,000/year and have no expenses.

20 more months to go before I make some big cash...

What do you do in the navy, how.long etc, likes and dislikes?

Explain what you do, I'm retarded.

US Navy fighter pilot about to finish flight school.

do it OP this job is awesome

lol im a mechanic not a bad job but i had an 88 overall on my asvab in hindsight should have gone counter Intel

I'm in the Navy. Deployments aren't 4 years long, theyre usually around 7-9 months long. The usual amount of time you'll spend attached to a ship is around 3 years. I've been in 2.5 years and won't deploy until next September. If you want jobs with decent college credits and civilian application I'd recommend: FC,ET,OS,IT,IC,CT,AT,or nuke.

I'm an IT
I work with computers, intelligence handling, and radio communications.
I live in hawaii in a two story house with a backyard.
I'm 20
nuff said

B8 you aint shit dont lie

kid ses hes 18 obviously he has not gone to collage so no flying for him if you were a wing dude you should know that...

holy shit, americans really are fucking retarded

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

>I realize I'd just be a pawn once I'm recruited

* rolls eyes *

Interesting. Originally I took the ASVAB because my guidance counsellor recommended I do, just to see basically, so that was why I took it at first, I still want to see what they have to offer, when I was younger I just wanted to be a grunt and go combat, but as I got older realized it wasnt that great in the long run.

I considered pilot but I wear glasses. Dont think I could be a pilot anymore sadly.

What do you do on the ship? Jobs and duties? hat do you like and hate about it?

Your perspective isn't exactly that of the general populous of the Navy. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do. But unless you're prior enlisted, you don't begin to understand what it's like. Even if you had an enlisted parent or sibling.

No you're not.

Shit, wish i had done that, listen to this fag op. At the end of the day none of this shit matters because in 4 years all your gonna care about is having enough money to do whatever the fuck you want when ever the fuck you want,regardless of how your doing it.
>and if you're not a faggot, that's all women will care about too

OP,
I forgot to clarify I'm the Navy guy, not the POG

I second what the Staff Sergeant said. My wife and I were Navy (I went medical) did six years. Now I'm a nurse working in the OR. 3 of my sons went Navy. One is still in as a Nuke on a submarine.

My advice to them was that Navy and Air Force have the best schools that will teach you something that you can use in a civilan career. Don't choose something that you can't use later. You can get out after 4 years or spend 20 and you retire before age 40 and start a second career with your military benefits for the rest of your life.

If you don't have a plan for your life, you can learn something and you'll also have the military to pay for your college when you get out. Damn good trade and it let's you look at different careers before you need to make a choice of college study.

My son just finished his first deployment. He's been in for 3 1/2 years. The deployment was six months long. He went to some great places that he wouldn't get to go to otherwise.

The military isn't for everyone, but it does have a lot to offer if you're smart and take everything that's offered to you.

Downsides to it all?

I'm an FC, my primary job is operating and maintaining the MK15 Phalanx Close In Weapons System. But I also work with gunners mates to help them with maintenance for small arms, torpedo tubes, and magazines. I love shooting shit, which you get to do fairly often attached to a ship in weapons dept. But the work is hard, you'll find yourself working 70+ hours a week at times getting ready for deployment. But the Navy has great travel opportunities, you're not likely gonna get stuck on some fuckhole missile base in Kentucky, and deployment will take you to several foreign ports without a doubt.

Thanks for sharing. And yeah, I understand. That was kind of the original reason for taking the ASVAB in the first place.

Neat. Not sure how 70 hours a week would fare right off the bat. I'm sure I could push through and suck it up once I knew what I'm doing. And yeah- another one of my reasons for not wanting to enlist orignally was because I didnt want to get stuck on a base doing irrelevent shit. If that makes sense?

You can wear glasses now I believe. Or just get lasik.

By the time you're in the fleet you'll be accustomed to working weird hours, but it's not always bad. Today I got off work at 2 pm. Even if you don't stay in, you'll learn a lot, make some friends, do some cool shit, and earn college/trade school money. Hopefully you get to Thailand at some point, blow up a cow with an RPG for like 20 bucks

Whats the social settings like between soldiers? From what I've heard it's pretty rowdy and rough from some ex vets Ive spoke to. I dont mind it being that way, but I am curious.

Also does someone wake you up when you've gotta get going? Or do you rrely on your own alarms and such? Or are you given a list of duties for the day?

Except those ratings dont exist anymore.

marines are front line fodder in the middle east

friend of mine died over there

I'm Marine infantry, I've trained with army. Most are garbage as fuck. Some not so stupid at the job. Cool dudes, but shitty as a fighting force. Marines also is not what everyone thinks it is. It's pain, it's bullshit, it's a good time. You have to love it or its not for you. I already have knee, hip, and rib damage. Go navy dog.

Can't smoke pot
Deployments (haven't had any yet but theyre coming)
Having to move to a different location every 3 years (again, hasn't happened yet but it's coming)
Boot camp and "A" School suck dick but it goes by quick
Also, the big thing for me is becoming really good friends with people. Getting super close to the point where they are like your family, and then you get stationed on opposite ends of the world from each other. In the military, you don't only lose friends to combat deaths.

Understandable. What are the damages from? Any permenant?

What's A school?

Sup OP, go Airforce.

Navy is gonna be in the shit during ww3.

Airforce, get great skills w airplanes or electronics. Basically walk out into a union airline gig. Barracks usually a tertiary target behind assets on Tarmac, the runway, or Defensive fixtures.

Can go bad ass and try parajumper. Rescue medics in choppers w some serious combat skills,

Another way I had of looking at it was, if we do go into anothr world war- we'd get drafted anyway, so it's pick now or let them pick for you at the time.

Also considerable.

Also thanks to everyone giving me info, like a ton

If you did really well on the ASVAB, especially mechanical and electrical, they're gonna offer you nuke. For the love of God, DON'T TAKE IT. They're gonna talk to you about how easy you'll make rank, how much money youll make, etc etc and it's all fucking lies.

I'm a nuclear Electrician on a submarine. In port I rarely work less than 13 hours per day, plus throw in 3-5 section duty on top of that (duty=spend the night on the boat)

It's absolutely fucking awful in every way.

>submariner
I see where you fucked up. If you go Surface Nuke OP, it's not a bad gig. You'll be making 6 figures after a few years.

Jesus. My old math teacher was a engineer on a nuclear submarine. He never spoke about it so I didnt know much about it. What actual work do you do on it? Salary/wage??

> However, I realize I'd just be a pawn once I'm recruited and its so-long from there

then dont go in you fucking faggot. LELLEL id be A PAWN OMG LELOL JEWS HAHAH pawn OIL. so go be a fucking "welder" you stupid mother fucker.

We hate faggot sympathizing cucks like you. OH HAHA ELELE YEA ILL BE A PAWN!!! LOL 911 INSIDE JOB!! get off Sup Forums where the fat, shill cucks who never did shit with themselves are. fucking faggot.

You wont do as much welding as you think in the seabees its a dying rate. Deputy sheriff? What the fuck is that? You can be a MA you will hate your life unless your on a ship. You will do your shoreduty 1st doing in MA if they tell you you have a chance at ship first they are lying.

shut up you 10 year old faggot. you clearly dont know shit about shit

A school is the school you go to after boot camp where you learn your job. Depending on you contract, you might have follow on C school (I did)
C school is further training into advanced fields of your job. With boot camp, a school, and c school all back to back I wasn't able to take leave for a year.
I spent thanksgiving , my birthday and christmas in boot camp.

Past your bedtime kiddo, git.

Fair enough. If you're required to goto school, does that include the contract time you agree to be employed? Like say I signed up for 4 years and school was 1 year, would I have only 3 left?

Yeah, boot camp and school count for contract time

Welp. I appreciate the advice and info very much. I wont be enlisting tomorrow anyway, I have time to think about it and learn more. I've gotta be up in 4 hours so I'm gonna run, thanks for all the advice user. God speed and thanks for serving. G'night

Kiddo? Im a prior PO2 you fucking cuck. Dont go in my navy. We dont want cucks who go to Sup Forums for information on what they should do. Stand the fuck by and carry on smartly you worthless sack of fucking semen.
huR DUR ME WANNA BE SHERIFF DEPUTEE N WELDER BAT I DID GUUD ON ME ASAVAP WAT SHOULD I DO????

> kiddo
hahahahahaha what a nerd. trust me, we dont want you in our ranks.

my dd214 says honorable and preferred reenlistment. ill fuck your mom and slap the shit out of your dad. shitbag

Nuke Mechanic here. 2 year school, regarded as the toughest in the military and one of the hardest in the world, but I have always said citation needed. As long as you study you can pass.

Long work days and hard work is what awaits you as a nuke. Liberty is very limited and sometimes you wonder why you ever agreed to do it, especially as a submariner. However, you get advanced very quickly (three months after boot camp you get E-4 if you are a mechanic), and get great pay. Currently you get an $11,000 signing bonus (paid upon in segments as you complete your school) and can receive up to $100,000 for re-enlisting for just two years. In addition you get special duty assignment pay, which only adds to the extra money you get.

The job pays better than just about anything you can do at your age. It's tough, and a lot of people give up, but I have never regretted it. Do your research before talking to them about it. If this does not sound like something you want to do, tell your recruiters up front that you WILL not do this. They can not force you to, no matter what they say. If they say there are no other billets for other jobs, say you know they are lying. Not all recruiters are scumbags, though.

Oh, also if you make it out with an honorable discharge, you will never have to look for work again as a nuke.

Well first off, we're sailors haha. But the work environment is very accepting. I wasn't a very brash individual when I got to bootcamp, but by the time I hit the fleet I had thicker skin. But people really don't fuck with you much unless theyre a friend. And we get ourselves up for basically everything, although they do make a revilee call at 0600 each day, and possibly GQ alarms if the situation permits

But if you're not on watch and you've completed your scheduled maintenance for the day and your qualifications are up to date and your spaces are clean your time is your own to do with while underway

The rating are still being used by recruiters and A scool pipelines. Its not like I know all the NOS codes off the top of my head

>Stand the fuck by and carry on smartly you worthless sack of fucking semen.

lol sound more like a boot drop than a prior PO2. Were you an airedale?

Wow shipmate, you're a faggot

lol U SOUND LIKE A BOOT!!

anyone who says "boot" is a fat fucking spic. i was in the pacnorwest and went from e1 to a paid e5 in a 4 year enlistment. no frocking bullshit.

HUR HUR UR A BOOT!! ill fucking put my composite bottom bates up your fucking ass and have your chief make you mop up his coffee mug spills. Im better than you. Im stronger than you. Ive got more outstanding-excellent on my PRT in one year than you ever had in your entire enlistment. You arent shit faggot. Keep trying to act like macho man....im sure you were smoking cigs with the other fat reject e-3's in the barracks.

hahahahahahahahahahah FAGGOT

It's not lies. Just lies for electricians. It does suck a huge fanny though.

6.5 years as a MM nuke on a sub. Sucked. But a great experience. It's a 6 year commitment. 2 added for school. You won't get a 100k reenlistment unless your an ET, or you're ews and/or edpo qualified. But it's still pretty high. It was like 60 when I was in. 20k to sign on. But I see that dropped.

School sucks. They'll make you study if you can't handle it on your own. After getting out the school was worth it. I'm going back for my ME degree.

If you want to hate your life and contemplate suicide near daily when working in port, I say do it.

As far as the acronyms, Google it.

I'm an e5 and have been since just after my two year point. Are you mad? You sound mad, and really, really fucking stupid. The fact you have to bring up the PRT to sound superior proves you aren't, and you have nothing on your resume to swing your little dick to save your life. Enjoy being worthless

Or you know those socially weird smart guys make great nukes.

Nukes: outstanding operators. Horrible sailors.

HEY OP YOU MOTHER FUCKER. DO NOT JOIN THE NAVY.
If you are going to join a sea going service, join the mother fucking coast guard like me.
Life is so much more enjoyable and you have way more responsibilities. Ask me questions you filthy scumbag

MM's just had 100k, but it got lowered like last month.

agreed with the experience

Anytime OP

hahahaha awwww fat fucking wanna be cuck, nerd with no girlfriend ACTUALLY says being physically in shape has nothing to do with service???? aaah ahahahahahahahah.

am i mad at a 2 year e5?? hhahahaha of course not, considering you are a sad sack of shit who thought you were big smart guy and got cucked into enlisting under what...a 5-6 initial enlistment signing? hahahahahaha cuck boy be like > i made e5 in 2 years......you sound like 14 year e-6. locked up rate, everyone sucking each others dick. lolzzzz come again fagggot..im better than you. fat, slow, weak fuck

Hahahaha, you're going to lose your fucking rate, squid.

lmao ok dude
already did :-(

the fucking coast guard is more of a navy than the god damn navy. no more rates. jesus christ what the NAVY will take fucking anyone. OP, if you want to be a piece of shit scum bag, then please join the Navy.

>if you want to be a piece of shit scum bag, then please join the Navy.

so your dad was in the navy?

Damn didnt know people were so jealous of us

no
no one is jealous of you. i had the misfortune of being stationed in Portsmouth, VA. Right next to norfolk navy base. the biggest shit hole in the country.

yea, norfolk is well known to be the biggest shit hole on the planet

coasties are a joke. dont ever forget that.

Did 5 years, Honorably discharged. Enlisted side.

Advice 1: Don't join. You have already been to a recruiters office and are a tard, so you wont heed that advice. see advice 2

Advice 2: Go officer. Literally cake as shit, they'll pay for you to go to college and then you can get paid to have a bachelors and "supervise" people who know what the fuck their doing

Advice 3: If you don't go Officer, get a marketable job.. Intelligence, Aviation, IT, Comms.. shit like that. Dont go near Cook, Engineering, Firefighting, or Nuke. You will hate your life

Advice 4: See advice 1. Read it 100 times.

You're welcome

then why can they do your job better than you? every single coastie has more responsibilities and skills than anyone in the navy. the coast guard is the only branch where an enlisted man can be an officer-in-charge of a unit. No officers.

You will never regret joining the military in any branch. They will bring you up to the physical requirements during your initial training. you will meet great mates and have a great time.
- Australian Army

go infantry if you want to work at burger king when you get out

Army is for high school drop outs and people who can not compete educationally.

Do whatever, no one cares.

Inb4 ner yur wong

Protip

Airforce or coast guard
Bettet quality of life

Trust me

ding ding ding

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

holy fuck, that was good. you arent even a fuckin armed force..and the only reason you are actually classified as a "force" because they wanted stateside cucks like yourself to feel important....you are shit on the seas compared to USN.

Aussies stole our berets when went there

501st blackfoot usa

Funny tho how your MRE's are for three meals in one bag.

I can almost guarantee i've shot a gun more often than you have. You probably went some pussy fucking rate, which don't even exist anymore becauaes the navy is for cucks.

Tell him you wanna be a CTN

>not understanding the coastguard

Im a former Navy e-5 and can answer any questions for ya.

go fly drones in the airforce, make lots of money

>I can almost guarantee i've shot a gun more often than you have

see, thats why youre a stupid fuck. i carried a 9mm beretta in a safari land thigh holster for 12 hours daily. with a choice on m16 or 12g. and depending on what i may be up to a 60 cal. go kys cuck

9 Year Navy Vet, please don't do it.

Join the Navy, become a shooter (the guys in yellow on an aircraft carrier), make loads of money.

6Y VET DONT DO IT. DONT FUCKING DO IT. DONT FUCKING DO IT.

If you fail the nuke school, you'll likely get a shit job being forced to bust sum rust.