Do you prefer television or film?

No copout answers like "I prefer kino actually"

Film
I have a life

film

Film because it's more authorial. TV usually has a rotating cast of directors, writers and crew.

Televison gave us BSG.

Film
Mini series
Finished series
Continuing series

In that order, I rarely watch tv

film
tv in general is really shit, even the good shows are pretty bad

Film no question about it.
Not a NEET or highschool kid so I don't have the time to binge watch television. Most television shows are pretty terrible though, so when I do check out something I usually never stick with it because of how much of a waste of time it is.

TV has surpassed film. The restriction of film to a few hours is severely limiting.

television

a movie is a couple hours. you can cobble together a movie and just move on

for a TV show to work, you can't rely on dazzling people. there has to be something that fundamentally works about the characters to make them worth following for a hundred episodes.

every show has to have recurring formulas that they come back to. the good ones can be formulaic AND great at the same time.

Film for drama, tv for comedy.

I think the vast majority of tv fails as drama due to how serialized it is. They get drawn out over years, renewed well past their ending point, the cast and crew rotate out, and largely shows seem to be written to fill their timeslots instead of using the added time to tell a more detailed story. See how GoT is so glacially paced, dragging out every line of dialogue as long as they can. Films and miniseries have a set end and a definitive point being made by the authors

I love both, but I definitely prefer film because it represents a far greater range of time periods, genres and ideas. There's more artistic freedom and can appeal to a wide variety of niches.

Television has its advantages though, because there is more time to develop the characters and I find myself growing more attached to them compared to characters in movies. So I can honestly say I prefer my top favorite shows over any film, because my emotional attachment to them is so much stronger.

film = magazine
telekino = novel

there's not enough time in a movie to make you feel invested in a character

TV has more limited budgets, and a long-running series will probably, as said, not be very authorial. Length is also not necessarily a good thing, as shows can drag on or self-destruct.

I prefer motion pictures.

I hate both.

What an absolute load of bollocks.

I don't get this "more is more" mentality about tv. I said the same below you, but I'd rather the artist say what they have to say and move on rather than draw things out to fit network constraints and time slots. I know it's just a pet peeve but I can't stand how most shows are written and paced on an episode to episode level. In any other medium things would be chopped down or not included. It's the equivalent of saying a book can be 1200 pages, so they all have to be. Not every story needs to be 40-80 hours long

>there's not enough time in a movie to make you feel invested in a character
So Walter White is more compelling than Michael Corleone, only because we see him more despite how similar their arcs are?

Film, easily.

TV is trash for the masses.

In fact, just about the only thing I like watching on TV is live sports.

Film.
Television is for uneducated idiot normies

In "Saving Private Ryan" I didn't care about the Marines,not a single one. In "Band of Brothers" I felt the connection to the jarheads.

>TV is trash for the masses
>I like live sports though
kek

It's often a weakness of American TV that things just have to go on and on and on even if the story falls apart. There's so much emphasis on keeping a show on the air for as long as possible.

>What is Satantangp

There are no marines in Saving Private Ryan nor Band of Brothers.

TV for sure. You can't fit jack shit into a 1.5 hour space. If a television series is like a novel, then a film is like a damn pamphlet.

Satantango fren.

>Implying live sports aren't a fine way to spend an evening.
I refuse to watch garbage "analysis" and "news" about sports, however.

I prefer kino actually

Something isn't good just because it's long.

There's 6 and a half hours of the Godfather, that's practically a miniseries.

And to answer your question, yes, my relationship with Walter White or Jack Shepard lasted years. Michael Corleone was a one nightstand by comparison.

Film. Television has been absolute shit since about 2003. Once I'm finished with grad school and have my own place, I doubt I'll even pay for television service.

bad example. michael corleone's character arc is not the main draw of the godfather movies, and is not particularly compelling

there are better examples. somebody think of one

To each their own, but to me sports seem like same shit different game, pro sports are especially boring because it's just a bunch of companies competing against each other to see who can make the most money.

Give me a good film with characters and a story over that shit any day.

Recently got my own place and forced into cable for internet. The salesman was essentially begging to connect tv/phone service while making sure the connection worked.

>it's just a bunch of companies competing against each other to see who can make the most money.
>Implying the same could not be said of many/all films.
In the end, of course it's all about the money. It doesn't mean you cannot enjoy it.

That's true, but I even mean the concept of seasons.

To go back to the book analogy, To Kill a Mockingbird is ~120 pages, and War and Peace is 1500. Rashomon is 80 minutes and Satantango is over 9 hours. In other mediums the artist can use as much or as little time as they need to tell the story. In television they have to write 8-13 hours of content right off the bat, keep it open ended for another season, then right the same amount next year and every year until the writers are told they have to end it. It's the definition of forced to me, and opens up the writing to so many flaws of pacing and unnecessary content.

So it's just about time and not the actual characterization and writing?

Goddammit, I take it this is common practice?

Japanese TV works better (at least in theory) because virtually all shows are 10-12 episodes, sometimes less than that, and aren't written with sequels in mind. They usually don't even make second seasons. Anime also takes a cautious approach.

But American TV thinks if they have something that works then they just have to squeeze it dry even if it takes decades.

I don't even watch tv really. There are some good examples, but most of the time it's hard for me to get invested in a story that's purposefully drawn out to hook you into the next episode.

Anybody can pick up a camera and make a great movie if they have enough talent. TV always requires making compromises with the production studio and advertisers. Again, there are some good shows, as well as bad movies made under the studio-system, but film is the better medium.

No more spoiler tags?

>Implying the same could not be said of many/all films
Except that a film can be appreciated outside of this context, sports cannot. When I watch a movie I'm not thinking "oh I hope Warner Bros makes bank on this and puts MGM out of business" because that's irrelevant when watching the film in and of itself.

>In the end, of course it's all about the money. It doesn't mean you cannot enjoy it.
I need an actual story with characters to be invested, as opposed to a bunch of he-men trying to out do each other, and I feel completely aloof when I watch it.

>No copout answers like "I prefer kino actually"
But I actually prefer kino, how is that a copout?

Film without a doubt.

TV has been shit for years.

To each their own indeed, but surely you must be able to appreciate good competition no matter the context.

Pepperjack Cheese

Well, I can enjoy watching sports and competition when I'm actually there, in the stadium. I feel like a part of something, just being in the crowd has an infectious effect on me. The sights, smells and sounds of being at a game is comfy as fuck.

It's watching it at home on the TV that find to be a terribly dull experience. If I'm not where the action is I might as well just be watching a movie or series instead, something that is actually tailored for private exhibition.

While Netflix and HBO have been changing this to a degree, TV shows have the problem of needing to fill out a season, year after year, indefinitely.
It's like watching a directors rough cut, let fuck it, put it all in there.

Movies are more distilled. You can't play the long game as much as a series can, I loved the Tudors for taking so long to do anything, but most shows don't take advantage.