Does good country music exist?

So I'm guilty of being one of those "I can appreciate and love all music, except country lol" kind of faggots. But lately I've been thinking that it's stupid of me to dismiss a whole genre of music

I'm not really a big fan of what country music represents but surely not all country music could possibly be about "good ol' southern values and the old times"

Are there any Sup Forums approved country albums that are actually good? I'm trying to get outside of my comfort zone and give it a chance.

Please don't post Jason Aldean, I'm tired of that meme

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P7k5xOH7fk0
youtu.be/OtEdKn5udRk
youtu.be/ZCwWAD6ZuPk
youtu.be/Wn2e4Dhod7M
youtu.be/7J0EyQUOqT0
youtube.com/watch?v=EAjMDVTqW9s
youtube.com/watch?v=fE000LFyuik
youtube.com/watch?v=912DKxD0H1U
youtube.com/watch?v=holBS44V5gU
youtube.com/watch?v=8EmzhG9P-y8
youtube.com/watch?v=kGU63KqXuZk
youtube.com/watch?v=IenJY0QWIJE
youtube.com/watch?v=B2CzmlRphCg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKRA1ZIeiM
youtube.com/watch?v=sMWCxt8ABNg
youtube.com/watch?v=s4g5XnQlbus
youtube.com/watch?v=nYhjGVBFjLs
youtube.com/watch?v=P1EEahH63Pg
youtube.com/watch?v=HaJeMHHEBts
youtube.com/watch?v=ruAkFmky7ig
youtube.com/watch?v=0nZRAPGxNQA
youtube.com/watch?v=DSiJ_-q9-DQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sZkM_jD0TLI
youtube.com/watch?v=yonyTYjr8hA
youtube.com/watch?v=4bKDHlsL5EE
youtube.com/watch?v=LYx0z-4IagY
youtube.com/watch?v=8jbKgBLN78Y
youtube.com/watch?v=xTwhtTc9mD0
youtube.com/watch?v=cxuUy-Ln--k
youtube.com/watch?v=yo3ah2SDXg8
youtube.com/watch?v=WI76lMV9UUs
youtube.com/watch?v=5I1rxWaBT2U
youtube.com/watch?v=zw4ZqXfAHY8
youtube.com/watch?v=Wb016FCxfsk
youtube.com/watch?v=p_HiL4Oq4OY
youtube.com/watch?v=XPY3GmiB15E
youtube.com/watch?v=Vkqhu8LwYUI
youtube.com/watch?v=U7Brg4Pruwk
youtube.com/watch?v=u054DMMjhLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5eFtU57vme4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZRTMKLQoOys
youtube.com/watch?v=K5dJQUHL1QA
youtube.com/watch?v=o8l14oZKuC8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0TCeiczYM
youtube.com/watch?v=md1thmHFZI0
youtube.com/watch?v=bXbPhasFo9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=iir_xAbt-ak
youtube.com/watch?v=OAjhHbtZyQU
youtube.com/watch?v=DbA_5IpiAyU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What'd you think of the Sturgill Simpson album from last year

I 2nd this.
Stu is pretty cool

Country is just as legitimate as every other genre you just have to listen to it differently

Generally the lyrics and melody are the most important, and the song structures/chord progressions/rhythms won't be as creative. So the most patrician country albums are albums with perfect melodies and lyrics, rather than being experimental or having progressive structures like "patrician"-approved rock albums often have

Anyway for classic country you can't go wrong with Willie Nelson. For modern country look no further than Jason Isbell.

youtube.com/watch?v=P7k5xOH7fk0

avoid marty robbins, townes and red headed strange

aka memecountry

youtu.be/OtEdKn5udRk
youtu.be/ZCwWAD6ZuPk
youtu.be/Wn2e4Dhod7M
youtu.be/7J0EyQUOqT0

I keep seeing these types of threads more and more.
So I'll just keep posting this until you fuckers actually listen to these records.

I know jack shit about country because I was indifferent to it for a lot of time but I discovered Townes Van Zandt and Hank Williams and holy shit they are feelsy af. I'd recommend Our Mother the Mountain by Townes since Hank on first impact can sound like a old man stringy strangy meme

Fuck that guy up there, listen to Marty Robbins. Also try Hank Williams (Sr) (personal favorite), and of course Johnny Cash.

Most of it is shit though, youre right.

Townes is great though. What's so "meme" about him?

Country is more proof of how much of an (I hate using this phrase) echo chamber the internet is. Autists, me included, will go on and on about hundreds of albums from our favorite niche genres, but most people won't touch anything not p4k approved. Country isn't cool to like but it's one of the biggest and most important genres. That's why most people will say they don't like any country besides Johnny Cash (who is still great). Sorry for the speech. Here's some entry level country:
>gimme that old shit
Hank Williams. Specifically the compilation with yellow boarder (I'm forgetting the name
>I want to hear telecasters and twang (Bakersfield sound)
Merle Haggard and Buck Owens will get your foot firmly is the door
>I want that glitzy Nashville pop country sound
Jolene by Dolly Parton is the best pop country album ever made by a fucking mile
>how about some stuff they still play on the radio that doesn't suck
Brad Paisley's Play and 5th gear were the best normie country albums of the last decade and huge radio hits. 10/10 guitar work. Chris Stapleton's new album got tons of play and is fantastic
>I want something less poppy but still more modern
Sturgill Simpson's new album was fantastic one of the best of the year
>less heavy production. More singer song writer
Jason Isbell's Southeastern is what you want. You will cry during the second verse of Elephant

Honestly, I would say that on some level you need to be able to appreciate the lifestyle and history to really appreciate the music.

>Punch Brothers
>Marshall Tucker Band

This is good. I would also throw in 90's country as kind of being its own thing and suggest a few songs from that era

>The River - Garth Brooks
>Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
>Time Marches On - Tracy Lawrence
>Copperhead Road - Steve Earle

If youre into More edgier music, try Blues Saraceno and "Dark Country"

I'm from New Jersey but I've always loved country. I think you have to learn to appreciate the sincerity or partial tongue and cheek of it. Its made for working people who want to live their lives how they see fit. I hate spamming this guy, but it's the antithesis of FJM (minus ILYHB). It's not preachy or condescending. It's independent and a reflection of real life.

Thanks. How did I skip over Garth Brooks? The River is pretty great

The Civil Wars had kind of a gothic thing going on too, plus some kick ass rhythm guitar playing.
I'm a northerner too but I grew up listening to the stuff. I think it's hard for artsy types and people who "take music seriously" to like country because it's so straightforward. It's like you said, a lot of it is more focused on empathizing with the listener than emoting the feelings of the musician.
One of my favorites. Garth and co. saved country from tacky 80's hell the way grunge saved rock.

> I think it's hard for artsy types and people who "take music seriously" to like country because it's so straightforward. It's like you said, a lot of it is
I'm going to slightly disagree with you but overall agree with your post. Country to the South is Bruce Springsteen to New Jersey, both an expression of the artist and a reflection of the people. Not to be political because this is the music board, but I need to to make a point, the reason Springsteen gets respect and country doesn't is because Springsteen/New Jersey is very liberal with ties to New York. The reason most people can only get in to Cash is because they see his rebelliousness and that's it. Sure that was part of him. But his music was so much more than that.

Dumpin some of my favorite country songs, I got into it diggin in salvation army record crates for samples.

The whole album that this track is from is fantastic. I read his backstory on the back of the record and it's pretty heartbreaking, he spent like 12 years in prison for a marijuanna bust. His live album recorded in prison is also fantastic, but much harder to find online.
youtube.com/watch?v=EAjMDVTqW9s

The Statler Brothers are most well known for the scathingly sarcastic flowers on the wall, but I'm also a big fan of this song, about being raised by a prostitute
youtube.com/watch?v=fE000LFyuik

Tammy Winette has a fantastic voice and from what I know her songs draw a lot from the turmoil of her life
youtube.com/watch?v=912DKxD0H1U

I'm not a fan of most of buck owen's work, but this song is among the best country songs I've ever heard
youtube.com/watch?v=holBS44V5gU

This guy is right about the genre for the most part. I think it's underappreciated as it deals with a lot of themes that are typically avoided in pop music (self loathing, failure, regret) in a very straightforward fashion.

Yeah I totally agree. Also, most people who say they don't like country except for Cash are just dickriders and don't actually listen to Johnny Cash. They just think he's cool. If they actually liked John's music that'd mean they'd like most other country music as well.

Listen to this

and this

It's just kitschy folk.

I love his more religious songs and songs made for his wife. You don't need to because he conveys so much through his voice, but if you know about his personal life it makes his music even better.

I don't see what's wrong with country. It's comfy music.
youtube.com/watch?v=8EmzhG9P-y8

And Albert Lee kicks ass.
youtube.com/watch?v=kGU63KqXuZk

Not sure if it "counts" as country, but Lampchop are great.

>lampchop
whups

The country stigma only exists because most people associate it with the horrible radio """""country"""" pop sound and don't bother looking beyond that.

Angels of Light is country, and people here love it without really hearing the country influence.

Chris Stapleton is seriously the shit.

Y'ALL EVEN MEAT PUPPETS?

youtube.com/watch?v=IenJY0QWIJE

up on the sun is more country than ii iirc

Wovenhand
I'm surprised they are never mentionned on Sup Forums. One of the most incredible band.

There's Slim Cessna's Auto Club coming from the same area that's pretty good too.

I also really like Jesse Sykes and The Sweet Heareafter. If I had a waifu, that would be her.

Waylon & Willie
Just google it.

Oh, so because Townes is popular here now he's suddenly a meme?

Ugh, fuck you.

country music isn't inherently bad. but as a genre it is guilty of vaguely anti-intellectual values. it is the same thing you will experience if you spend time in the american south. a lot of it is also made to appeal to working class/"simple" people. there's nothing wrong with that but it's unromantic

Johnny Cash, you uncultured swine.

Hank Williams is amazing, if you guys know anything similar, ill be glad to geat recs

It's Townes' birthday today btw.

Excuse me? It's no more anti intellectual than any other 20th century pop music. I'd say it's even less anti intellectual (note the anti intellectual doesn't mean stupid) than indie rock/pop or hip hop.

youtube.com/watch?v=B2CzmlRphCg

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKRA1ZIeiM

youtube.com/watch?v=sMWCxt8ABNg

may he rip in peace.

Does anyone know the tabs/ ginger pattern for ill be here in the morning btw? There is very little online.

Check out Big Blood.

Thanks tripfag, been looking for stuff like this

Check out the old crow medicine show, maybe some Hank Williams senior and Jonny cash. Just avoid pop country at all costs.

Here are some of the best songs from some of the best Country released so far this year.

youtube.com/watch?v=s4g5XnQlbus
youtube.com/watch?v=nYhjGVBFjLs
youtube.com/watch?v=P1EEahH63Pg
youtube.com/watch?v=HaJeMHHEBts
youtube.com/watch?v=ruAkFmky7ig
youtube.com/watch?v=0nZRAPGxNQA
youtube.com/watch?v=DSiJ_-q9-DQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sZkM_jD0TLI
youtube.com/watch?v=yonyTYjr8hA
youtube.com/watch?v=4bKDHlsL5EE
youtube.com/watch?v=LYx0z-4IagY
youtube.com/watch?v=8jbKgBLN78Y
youtube.com/watch?v=xTwhtTc9mD0
youtube.com/watch?v=cxuUy-Ln--k
youtube.com/watch?v=yo3ah2SDXg8
youtube.com/watch?v=WI76lMV9UUs
youtube.com/watch?v=5I1rxWaBT2U
youtube.com/watch?v=zw4ZqXfAHY8
youtube.com/watch?v=Wb016FCxfsk
youtube.com/watch?v=p_HiL4Oq4OY
youtube.com/watch?v=XPY3GmiB15E
youtube.com/watch?v=Vkqhu8LwYUI
youtube.com/watch?v=U7Brg4Pruwk
youtube.com/watch?v=u054DMMjhLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5eFtU57vme4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZRTMKLQoOys
youtube.com/watch?v=K5dJQUHL1QA
youtube.com/watch?v=o8l14oZKuC8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0TCeiczYM
youtube.com/watch?v=md1thmHFZI0
youtube.com/watch?v=bXbPhasFo9Y

Recommend hearing all of these albums. Pic related are my current Country AOTY & EP's of 2017.

does Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen count as country? I know Johnny 99 and Highway Patrolman were covered with ill effect by Johnny Cash

youtube.com/watch?v=iir_xAbt-ak

youtube.com/watch?v=OAjhHbtZyQU

youtube.com/watch?v=DbA_5IpiAyU

Woah. So that chick is from Puxico, MO. I've got a family history book with a bunch of stuff about Puxico because my great-great-great-great grandfather was one of the founders of that town.

"American folk" is a vague term with a lot of overlap, so sure

She's a behind-the-scenes songwriter with some hits to her name. From what I understand, Puxico is a concept album. You should run that album by your family and see if they approve.

Pretty much everyone I knew on that side of my family is dead now, but I gave it a listen and I dug it. Very similar vibe to Kacy Musgraves.

Kacey's great. "Silver Lining" is one of these songs i can only listen to when I'm driving alone because it's too feely. Same with the last Jason Isbell album.

Johnny Rebel is patrician tier

who /HandsomeFamily/ here