Brass Instrument General

Discuss
What do you play?
Preferences?
Favorite songs to play?

I'll start
>Tuba, Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Trumpet
>Prefer Jupiter or Bach horns. Bach mouthpieces are really good, 5g is what I use on bass bone
>Favorite pieces are: Second Suite in F by Holst, Serenade for Wind Band, and Coat of Arms by George Kenny.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/shared?ci=A27GKK8LKuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=MFm2C-ve7qw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bumping to keep thread up

/trombone/ here. Currently working on a diet piece called Devil's Waltz. I'm a fan of Getzen, but Bach and Conns are nice too.

youtube.com/shared?ci=A27GKK8LKuQ

Duet* using Swype on mobile

Trombone here
>tfw haven't played with anyone in two years and playing solo and composing just doesn't excite me and i can slowly feel my interest slipping away
Why'd my band have to split bros?

Good luck with it man :)

Why did your band split, user?

School ended, we had one more good year, everyone fucked off out of town ;_;

If you wanna keep up music you can pursue it as a minor in college. Where are you from?

Semi-Rural Australia

If you can get to Wellington or Auckland in New Zealand you can pursue greater things with music. Or why not get back in touch with your friends?

>Or why not get back in touch with your friends?
Yeah, i reckon i will. We're catching up in there next uni break so i'll put it too em.

Post tuba vore

Wagnertuben are pretty cool

youtube.com/watch?v=MFm2C-ve7qw

hi Sup Forums

How the FUCK do you play high notes, what is the positions of the lips, what they should be doing, do I have to tighten them up? do I have to put more speed ? do I have to close them more?

it's like magic druidic shit I swear.

Hey, OP here. Depends on what instrument you are playing the high note on. I'm a low brass person and high notes are not always the thing I do. But whenever I play trumpet to play high often, you tighten your lips up a lot and use more air, but not so much that you strain yourself.

It also depends on the mouthpiece you are using. Depending on how shallow or deep the cup of the mouthpiece is. Shallow mouthpieces are easier to get higher notes on and they sound brighter, but it's easy to get a very sharp tone on it. It's vice versa with deeper mouthpieces.

Good trumpet mouthpieces to use are Bach 7c, and for low brass mouthpieces I would recommend Dennis Wick brand. They're VERY comfortable for any range on lower toned instruments.

Currently i'm on Bach 1-1/2C

I'm a total disaster, My range with Bb trumpet is low A to E (not even 2 completes octave)

Are you a beginner or something? Either way 7c is recommended by most for a better mouthpiece. A trick I use is practice all low tones. The lower you go then the higher you're capable of playing.

I played it when I was a kid, and I couldn't get past that point. I hit the F and G but that was like 15 years ago and I was doing a LOT of pressure with the mouthpiece for that

I dropped trumpet and few months ago I decided to take it back.

Turns out I can now play low A and hit D without the pain and struggle I had before, E yes, F is so rare I don't mention it.

so , because I'm retarded, it's like

Low A B and then base C ( D E F G A B no problem at all) 1st octave C (still no problem) D E (end of my range, and I don't want to force my way up)

That's pretty average for Trumpet players on a high school level. To work up to the high F and G start at C and just work your way up.

>Guitar for 9 years
>get bored of it and similar stringed instruments
>got this a month ago
>practice as often as possible
>not sure if I'm getting anywhere with it.

Anyone got any tips for a first timer?
How long did it take you until you were at a comfortable playing skill?

I find my range quite mediocre actually, not sure if that was what you meant with the word "average"

It was

It took me about a year and a half before I was comfortable playing Euphonium

Pic related, me at my last honor band rehearsal in high school.

that's a pretty long time man, did you play anything else before it?

Trumpet, but that's about it. I picked up Euphonium and Tuba at the same time. Then once you learn one you learn em all.