Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up

youtube.com/watch?v=6GqgNebPm50

June 16

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_of_May_1808
youtu.be/u8XFFTWwSvY
mega.nz/#!GNlEGCzK!SrHW95Yy_R91aNoe6e9pMuHqgUJqTuTlc-5PijZfUT4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You have know idea how much I've been looking forward to this.
Really good song. I'm thinking this will be an AOTY contender.

>71444574
Robin delivered desu

OH FUCK

Glad to hear they can still make solid music

More father john misty wannabes okay

god damn how is Robin so good at writing melodies.

Sounding good, but I was hoping for a slightly more radical change in their sound. But who knows what the rest of the album will entail.

its okay but this

Nah dude, all the big changes in sound in recent years have been pretty mediocre. It's nice to see someone recognizing where they excel and staying in that space.

Not to mention this is fairly different. The synths and nylon guitars in the last section we've never heard in a Fleet Foxes song before. Not to mention overall it's way less folksy and harmony driven.

FATHER JOHN MISTY COMPLETELY BTFO

how so?
fjm is making music about our current times
fleet foxes is still writing songs about nothing

>dude taylor swift and oculus rift lmao
Sod off Josh

FJM is a faux-stoic douchebag who thinks he's somehow enlightened enough to spew his pseudointellectual garbage via the embarrassment that is indie folk rock

>fleet foxes is still writing songs about nothing

That's absurd, just because FJM removes all artistry from his lyrics and lays out his world view in such an obtuse way doesn't mean others who choose not to do that are "writing songs about nothing".

Not to mention musically there is far more going on in this song than anything FJM has ever done by himself.

sounds like somebody is jealous

alright bud pls tell me what the recent song FF is about?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_of_May_1808

I agree with your second paragraph, but your first statement was absolutely retarded

welp you got me
too bad this has nothing to do WITH OUR CURRENT TIMES,
but well played amigo you win this round

Lmao
>I have no idea what the song is about, because I can't come up with my own ideas or expressions, let me have someone answer it for you. Fucking. piece. of. worhtless. shit.

>political unrest has nothing to do with out current times
>implying art has to be firmly rooted in contemporaneity anyways

The song has been out for like 20 minutes, if I were able to know what exactly the meaning/intent was already then it probably wouldn't be that good of a song. It's obvious he's drawing comparisons to the painting/event, but again it'll take longer to really understand. Will probably need to see it within the context of the whole album.

Musically its pretty great so far, it could literally be about Clifford the big Red Dog and it'd still be a good song.

>political unrest has nothing to do with out current times
>implying art has to be firmly rooted in contemporaneity anyways

lets take johns recent song "two wildly different perspectives"
If you need it spelled out for you, the song is dealing with blind faith (be it in a religion or an ideology), ethnocentrism, genocide, poverty and income inequality, and the needless hostility all of these things engender when 'both sides' are really on the wrong side, and are two sides of the same coin, unwittingly perpetuating pain and misery that we all would mutually condemn, and yet all are in some way complicit. It's a plea for understanding, for unity, and for reflection and sanity. All in three simple verses.

I know brother, I was just taking the piss out of you

Actually, fuck you faggots, it's pretty clearly spoken from the perspective of one within the firing line from the Goya painting.

Again, to really see the grand point he's building towards we'll probably need to hear the whole album, but this song is absolutely not about "nothing" and that is immediately clear.

ahahahahaa, that song is so shit. "hurrr dichotomous relationships tend to be pretty bad" no fucking shit Tillman. It's just part of his whole OP-ed as song trend, no artfulness to its presentation, and no meaningful insights in its content.

My entire point was that having a piece of art discuss contemporary issues doesn't automatically make it good. fuck off.

This thread's a lot funnier if you believe FF-user if Robin and FJM-user is Tilmann

>My entire point was that having a piece of art discuss contemporary issues doesn't automatically make it good.
but it makes it more interesting nonetheless. you could argue and say this ff song isnt about nothing. but months from now it'll end just being background music for coffee shops like the rest of the FF records.

THE KINGS ARE BACK BABY

AOTY 2017

>but it makes it more interesting nonetheless
No it doesn't. Having an interesting subject matter and instrumentation makes something interesting.

If this just ends up as background music in coffee shops then that is on no part the band's fault.

The ending sounds like Sun Kil Moon.

>Having an interesting subject matter and instrumentation makes something interesting.
you just agreed with me

Jeuue

that's the only way you could possibly enjoy reading this shit.
can't we just talk about the song rather than arbitrarily put FJM against FF?
I for one am unsure how I feel about it. It feels like a step backwards from HB production-wise and I'm really missing those weird ass harmonies

Is FJM the mike love of fleet foxes?

No I didn't jesus christ.

My entire point is that contemporary subject does not automatically mean interesting subject matter.

He's the Glen Campbell. He played with them for a bit and then went off and did his own thing.

yeah you did. we are both saying the same thing

He's literally the Pete Best.

lmfao this single shits all over FJM's whole career

*blocks your psych pop*

Great stuff, really excited

Can we have some non-meme impressions on the track?

I can tell some people will be upset that it isn't enough of a radical change in sound, but I really don't think that was necessary in the first place. I also don't mind the lack of as lush harmonies, the melody really is enough to carry it.

boi. this is fantastic

Nah, that's not what Robin said. He said it's some of the band members' birthday. Maybe it has to do with that too but I don't know, I haven't read the lyrics.

>My friend and bandmate Skyler Skjelset’s birthday is May 3, and our album Helplessness Blues was released on May 3, 2011. The song “Third of May / Ōdaigahara” is about my relationship with Skye. It addresses our distance in the years after touring that album, the feeling of having an unresolved, unrequited relationship that is lingering psychologically. Even if some time apart was necessary and progressive for both of us as individuals, I missed our connection, especially the one we had when we were teenagers, and the lyrics for the song grew out of that feeling.

>It felt like a funny coincidence to see a Goya painting called Third of May. The compounded coincidences, and how the whole experience of playing music with him itself felt like a series of lucky breaks and coincidences, left me feeling like it was a good phrase to use for the title of a song.

Typical Sup Forums. A deeply talented band releases a very encouraging new single, and a bunch of you start some completely irrelevant shitfest about FJM. Yes, I know he was their drummer briefly, but that has nothing to do with the band now or this song.

The lyrics are very clearly describing aspects of the painting, it might relate back to him in Skye's relationship, but what I'm getting from the text doesn't immediately link to that.

Also with people who have a poetic background like Robin, it's sometimes best to not cling to what they have to say about the work outside of the work. They tend to mislead or talk in some kind of broad, technical way.

>lets just ignore what the artist said and interrupt it how i want it to
thats not how this works

I feel like it's worth noting that Father John Misty's birthday is May 3rd too.

Fleet Foxes have a monopoly on 10/10 album art

That literally is how art works for many people. The work stands for itself.

And I'm not saying ignore him completely, just be wary. Outside comments from the artist really should not fundamentally guide how you view a piece. This isn't that controversial of an idea.

Coincedence? I think not

Killer album artwork

meaning is not a quality inherent in a work, it's a relationship between the viewer (critic) and the object. the viewer constructs meaning between himself and the object independent of the artist's intent. the critic is the true artist

Did Scaruffi write this?

jesus christ dude.

He kind of did though

it doesn't, at all
they're both very good songwriters

wow it actually is
this is a psychodrama

Sounds great, color me hyped.

yup, I agree. plus there are tons of great FF songs that aren't totally laden with harmonies, so I'm fine with it.

A good bro can give me dl? Much appreciated.

>harmonies
>build up, cello risers
>SAME CHORD STRUMMED HARD REPEATEDLY
>shhh harmonies

I can't be the only one who's pretty disappointed, right? Sure, it's good but it's forgettable.

Here's a better version
youtu.be/u8XFFTWwSvY

High quality download

mega.nz/#!GNlEGCzK!SrHW95Yy_R91aNoe6e9pMuHqgUJqTuTlc-5PijZfUT4

hey it's good

Based, thanks mane

Man you really showed them. Using dynamics in music is so pleb right.

I didn't think it was forgettable at all. The melody is good enough to not be, and I really like that they're expanding the progressive folk influence.

Robin could have shat in a doorknob and you would have said the same.

aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I mean if it was a pretty masterfully done poop then why not?

its time

its pretty freakin great for a single. super super excited for the lp

Holy fuck it's so good

Real hype over here. Something about their songs makes me so emotional, especially this one.

Guys I literally just came

The first half is forgettable but the combination with the second half makes it a work of art.

Jesus christ this thread.

This board is so desperate for indie to come back

Robin will make indie great again

pretty good, but def need to hear its context within the album

why the fuck did they announce it 3 months early. too long.

just joshing mate i like fleet foxes
think their songs can be formulaic though

please stop attaching fucking sound to culture. its sounds fucking good. why does it have to be this cultural thing or like we are trying to revive anything? please grow up

kek, probably true.

banned from reddit

kek

Sometimes the indieheads people are okay and sometimes they're just awful.

>culture
fuck off faggot

The symmetry between these two covers just caught my attention. One on the right is an all-time fave album of mine; hopeful that Crack-Up will register high on the list too

culture, what ever the fuck you want to call it. clique, group, fad, who gives a fuck. like it said, its just music,; if it sounds good then that really all that matter. attaching it to something social is fucking stupid

that social is the reason why you discovered this band faggot

all i mean is people who completely blow off a song or album solely based on a label it can have

I noticed this too

>fleet foxes

Shitty hipster band that belongs in the 00's. No one listens to this shit unless you're a dumb teenager.

No one says this shit unless you're a dumb teenager

It's fucking great

Fucking YES.
Incredibly heartfelt musicians, made some great memories to them.

I noticed this three

There was literally no better day for this to come for me than today. This is amazing.