/daily/ - Candleass edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-surman/how-many-clouds-can-you-see/
youtube.com/watch?v=0m4GU1TtlAM
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rashied_ali_frank_lowe/duo_exchange/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun-city-girls/torch-of-the-mystics/
youtube.com/watch?v=muNLqPPTuDQ
rateyourmusic.com/~mparker97
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/patty_waters/sings/
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/dj_playero/playero_37_underground/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for slam

What are some artists/albums you'd suggest if I enjoyed Demon's Gate off this?

slam is pretty trash senpai

Listen to more trad. doom. Candlemass' album Nightfall is pretty good.

shit taste

see

ayy

Finally finished the first round of the tourney, can't post image because mobile but the following people are through:
Herb
Jim Jazz
Jangle
Woolite
Fish
Stick
Nyar

Pls rec :) can be anything

@nat: added!
@yamir: you either recced sth shit or you didn't participate

These memes recced something good though?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-surman/how-many-clouds-can-you-see/
Make sure fish loses this round.

>Marian Hill - Act One

Alt-R&B that does everything it can to be as dark and minimal as possible. The first track almost seems like a fakeout, opening with a warm piano to make the listener believe they are hearing another Regina Spektor wannabe, but quickly incorporating metric tonnes of T R A P I N F L U E N C E at the first chorus. This album is cold and mechanical first and foremost, inhuman.

The intentional emptiness of these tracks get to me a bit though, it sounds emotionally null and lifeless. It reminds me of James Blake without anything that I would call "lush". She does have a beautiful voice.

Shinichi Atobe - Ship-Scope/Plug and Delay/Rainstick/The Red Line

thirteenth for this banger
youtube.com/watch?v=0m4GU1TtlAM

i'll listen to that the day you learn to count lol

hey lads

which cool new /daily/ hypes may i have missed the last couple of months

listened to it and ye it's pretty banging

this cool new album called "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night" :)

hmm let's see most notably there's
>ISMFOF
>Unexpect
>A Wilhelm Scream
>Devin Townsend

this looks like a classic poseur /daily/-core album, thank you giving it a listen now.

heh........

looks good maybe later tonight

>Unexpect
garbage

I can't remember what my rec was last round t b h.

Here's my rec if you haven't heard it yet rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rashied_ali_frank_lowe/duo_exchange/

they're eggscellent tho lemme pasta
>I feel like the "wackiness" or whatever of this gets a bit overstated. This is no band like Estradasphere that tries to dabble in every style they can, nor do they use theatricality as some kind of crutch. In fact, remove the chamber musical embellishments and you're left with something like Arsis, Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, which is to say, songs driven by complex riff progression, that are still interesting. It's not to say however that their keyboardist and violinist are just there for show, nor that they would marr the band's metal side, no, i think they add a lot of depth, emphasis, impact to the riffage as well as obviously, a sense of grandeur, which somehow the convoluted songwriting just amplifies rather than detracts from. It genuinely feels like a Bosch painting. In turn i think this goth metal arrangement also heightens the contrast of a quick transition between riffs by having another shifting layer, thus the impact, tech death just feels so grey most of the time. So you get a record with innumerable unique memorable moments you can get hooked one-by-one each spin, and one that seems like a mess at first but slowly reveals connectivities, all of which makes it daunting though rewarding in the long run. Even the interludes are good.

DEEEEEMOOOOOOONSSSS GGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE

also listen to Pentagram, Trouble, Pagan Altar, Solitude Aeturnus, and Black Sabbath's latest album

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun-city-girls/torch-of-the-mystics/

New Jens Lekman

New Jens Lekman

ist it good

sorry about that discord thing i confused you with someone

>Listen to more trad. doom
hahaha no
trad doom more like bad doom

umbo

Ye
Compared to his past albums, It's most like night falls over kortedala

Dennis Alcaponne - King of the Track (1974)
>Deejay
pretty good deejay record. It's got some really strong riddims on here that jive well with Alcaponne's rhythmic chanting. In many ways his style of toasting is almost proto-dancehall vocals. He does a lot of rhyming to the beat more than just shout outs and yelps (although there is a lot of yelping. As with most deejays, sometimes the amateurish quality of his voice can grate, especially when his pitch is off. There are some primitive dub elements present, like nat mentioned. Those were nice, especially when they dropped everything but the drums and bass and let the riddim ride.

i enjoyed this
definitely very poseur

will give it a listen then

listening to Dadawah now

don't tho
listen to rather only the first one is a meme

i'm really liking this album tho....
it's very "chill"....

rating #3000 boys

OutKast - Aquemini (1998)
>southern hip hop, conscious hip hop

Like Torts said, the lyrics on this album really are incredible, and I rarely like to make note of lyrics in reviews. Especially considering that OutKast was never really terribly much of a lyrical group save for some choice moments on ATLiens, the wordplay here is exceptional, especially combined with the perfect flows and voices of both Andre and Big Boi, who are both on the top of their games here. They both fall back into their respective niches within their dynamic, Big Boi is a lot more reserved while Andre generally tends to take more risk and have a more obvious presence on the mic. Both have very different styles, but both are amazing, and both compliment each other perfectly, they are absolutely the perfect rap duo. The production is very solid, but I've gotta say I'm not huge on how mellow everything is here. The mellow sound is really nice, but they don't play with it at all, and it kinda gets flat after a while. The mellowness does definitely serve it's purpose, it's much more atmospheric and slow-burning than Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik or Stankonia, and it serves more as a vehicle for the rapping than anything else, but the beats for tracks like "Da Art of Storytellin'", the dub-influenced "SpottieOttieDopaliscious", and the badass guitar-led "Chonkyfire". The skits are also pointless, but with a '90s hip hop album that's just par for the course. OutKast rocks, and this album might be their finest.

3.0+

rec me

(you)

new Bleet Boxes surprised me, it's good

yeah i'm diggin it and i don't like them at all normally

maybe i should revisit their first two

i think i probably will
i've always been a sucker for that kind of atmosphere tho

tbf devy's chill when he's not hevy
youtube.com/watch?v=muNLqPPTuDQ

I'm listening to that album rn and I'm between moments of "this is v well made for what it is" and "this is fucking boring reverb abuse" but mostly the latter, but I'm in a mood where i'm not compelled to turn it off either

wtf that's a thing, why didn't trish tell me about this

How do these threads work do we just post unknown shit and ask for recs?

I'd like to open myself up to more pop music. Bowie bjork house I really like but I mean stuff that has more overt hooks and wouldn't be out of place on the radio, preferably electronic. A friend recently showed me empire of the sun and that was cool. Anything?

they're just like an in-group for shitposters with a vague interest in music

Kylie Minogue - Impossible Princess and Fever were really good imo
i enjoyed some The 1975 and some Twenty One Pilots too desu
but idk i mean, why not just listen to the radio lol

>in-group for shitposters
doesn't seem quite /bleep/ level tho

>why not just listen to the radio lol
I don't have anything against "pop" but top 40s is 99% garbo obviously. I think twenty one pilots is actually pretty alright though.

I meant like stuff that scratches that similiar itch for catchiness but dwelves outside of the typical formula and doesn't sound like everybody else lol

There's radio that doesn't play top40 tho

dope

rec is The Third World by Gato idk if you've heard it.

just post about music and stuff, maybe get a trip if you wanna be a regular

Olga Bell - Tempo
Daft Punk - Discovery / Random Access Memories
Depeche Mode - Violator
Duran Duran - s/t
Carly Rae Jepsen - E-MO-TION + the B-Sides EP
Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation
Kraftwerk - Computerwelt
Neon Indian - VEGA INTL. Night School
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Morality
Sébastien Tellier - Sexuality
Sparks - N° 1 in Heaven
Susanne Sundfor - Ten Love Songs
Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor / Technodelic

thx bb

np, make sure you get on CRJ soon if you haven't heard it already, that album perfectly fits the "radio pop but not shit" sound you seem to want.

psst...make sure to add your Dennis Alcaponne rating

gotchu

Apparently

Will do

It was Live at Birdland, and added :)

Yo

Added

Yess

Sounds avant af
Only need JimJazz now :)

fuck off back to Sup Forums
ere is that more bleep for you

can u remind me what my last rec was? thanks

New Fleet Foxes is exceptionally boring. Was like 10% hyped for their new album because I enjoyed Helplessness Blues to an extent, but no I'm like .2% hyped.

Vote for NO ONE. No One has your best interest. No One cares about you.

WHEN DID YOU REALIZE BASIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR LEAVING EARTH IS THE BEST TRACK ON LIQUID SWORDS

BEFORE
I HATE PHONEPOSTING

mfw walking into daily

Glad somebody said it. Really watered down

>boring

sounds like a personal issue

It was a ruse, it's actually a poser daily classic

good album for #3000

>not my father was the greatest samurai in the empire
what are you even doing sshx

Pic
It was also my fav of the round so sth similar wouldn't do you wrong

Not updated for a few days, been listening to stuff both off and on it

>Tirogo - Float
Pretty standard afro-psych stuff, nice and funky but not particularly distinctive

>Siamgda - Samsara
Similar to what I imagine Muslimgauze is (been meaning to get around to them). Dark and yet pretty, but it's not blowing my socks off any time soon

>Ahmed Janka Nabay - Bubu King
I went into this expecting bamboo pipe music but it was more hyperactive afro-pop in the vein of a less batshit insane Ata Kak. Not particularly recommended.

>Moonlandingz - EP
I'm big on Fat Whites and this has me hyped for the full length. Really solid noisy experimental pop.

>Keletigui Diabate - Sandiya
Found this really hard to track down. Some of the most proficient balafon playing I've heard but I feel like the album lacks personality/much emotion. This guy would probably make an incredible sideman but this didn't make too much of an impact on me, will give it more time though.

>Count Ossie - Grounation
First new nyahbinghi record I've listened to other than Dadawah years back, enjoyed it, the spoken word bits were pretty interesting. May well bump up to a four

SORRY ABOUT YOUR POOR TASTE

that song title is dangerously close to Notes on Achieving Orbit

Lol there wasn't a pic

i dont think i should ever do charts again bc i am so so slow

>Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes
Expected stevereichiscalling.com , instead got 90 minutes of sick electronic compositions

yay finally someone else in here likes Fat Whites! I'm pretty hype for a Moonlandingz LP too, been listening to Black Hanz a lot. I really dig the krautrock/pop style they do.

does it really matter how long they take? could just do a freeform one next time as well

>does it really matter how long they take?
it's a 4x4 and i've been at it for like 3 weeks i think? plus i always get very distracted and listen to other new things instead

a freeform chart would be the most optimal choice, yes

What you up to tho

not drunkposting thats for sure

Am I tho?

im listening to kraftwerk...

also those red cups at the far left are shaped like a penis

Lol
(And nice, love me some kw)

the sidewinder was disappointing. not nearly as fun for me as the Cooker.

Empyrean Isles was really lovely, I didn't care too much for a couple of songs

Moanin' was nice, but Free For All! is way stronger

I should listen to this

WHAAAAT! Excited! I bet trish is very happy.

wow no this is lovely. it's like the first record.

Honestly, listened to it twice, it was fine, but not very memorable

It'll be interesting to see if they can top the first two

either way hope you still stick around

feeling ill and listening to Muddy Waters before I go to bed early again, exciting stuff

hmm i'll just go with Lô Borges s/t again haha

>Muddy Waters - At Newport 1960
It's Muddy Waters so it's great but it being a live recording doesn't add much excitement apart from a couple of moments where the drumming gets a bit wild. Waters studio stuff usually has a pretty loose feeling anyway and it's more of the same. But I do love me some Muddy. 4/5

>Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Good shit but not incredible. Vocals are great and the beats have a cool, dark atmosphere but they could do with a few more funky samples or something to spice them up. 3.5/5

>Sam & Dave - I Thank You
Another great performance from Sam & Dave and great writing from Isaac Hayes and David Porter makes for a great soul record. 4/5

goodnight guys

what the fuck? Guatauba isn't on this?! I am 75% less excited for this now.
the first track seems to mix that and Bellaqueo so I'm at least partly satisfied.

Nice :)

>not enjoying the sidewinder
boooooooo

>Plan B - El Mundo del Plan B: Los Que la Montan

Para fumarla no hay que legizarla, te estoy hablando de la mariguana!

Plan B's first album is a very interesting thing. It came out just a year or so before the big reggaeton boom of the 2000s, where the genre was about to undergo a massive evolution and surge in popularity. One thing to understand about reggaeton in the 21st century is that it started abandoning its roots in reggae and dancehall in favor of whatever big trend was going on in the american hip hop scene, which is why a lot of the reggaeton at the time was very gangsta/southern and even a tiny bit crunk, and why the resurgence of the genre in these past 4-5 years has been a lot heavier on the bass, less caring about clever wordplay, and heavy on the trap influenced beats. OK, back to 2002.

Plan B, even in 2014, has stayed fairly true to the classic reggaeton formula, and it shows on this album. The album is structured in a very weird way, almost like a DJ mix. You know how most hip hop music seems to let the beat go on for like 30 secs - 1 minute after they're done and it's usually just the rappers mumbling a bunch of random words and shout outs? Here that is completely absent. Chencho and Maldy are very straightforward with their delivery, flowing from song to song at breakneck speeds, sometimes not even giving the album five seconds of instrumentals to separate the tracks. This makes it kind of troubling to distinguish the songs, especially since DJ Joe (the producer) seems to have a limited palette of sounds for his boys, recycling one or two layers in some tracks, and even more especially when they start repeating words and lines from other songs on the album and from their big hits which are NOWHERE to be seen on the album.

[1/2]

[2/2]

Yo lo que quiero es una gata, para darle guata, uba, uba uba guata

Not to diss DJ Joe, he has some fantastic beats on this, and even bookended the album with two mixes of all the songs inside of the album, which I guess serve as a preview of what you're gonna hear and as a memo of what you just listened to. Obviously it all has the dun ba dun ba dun of reggaeton, but some of the tracks have some really cool influences and samples, using a classical arrangement at one point and even one track with Middle Eastern rhythms and sounds! (There seems to be an odd amount of references to the Middle East, jews and palestines in early 2000s reggaeton. Maybe it's because of 9/11, but I still find it funny/actually enjoyable). Another fantastic thing about DJ Joe is he takes a lot of influence from other electronic genres, much more than the usual producer.

Onto the lyrical content of the album. Chencho y Maldy are some of my favorite emcees on the scene, because they seem to actually care about metaphors and similes, but in this album there isn't much value in the lyrics. It's the typical sex sex sex me gusta chingar a ella le gusta el bellaqueo type stuff. Other than some funny wordplay here and there, anyone could sing these lyrics and I couldn't tell the difference. However, it's still good bellaqueo and both of them have such a fantastic flow that I really couldn't care. Daddy Yankee has a featured verse on this and he references lyrics from Playero 37

go crazy
no restrictions
rateyourmusic.com/~mparker97

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/patty_waters/sings/

telstar drugs - telstar drugs

I should really shut up about this record but
Djeli Moussa Diawara - Yasimika

Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella

whoever gets paired with me gets a free pass unless stick actually has taste but ive never even seen this trip before so idk what he likes

rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/dj_playero/playero_37_underground/

Dadawah - Peace and Love

Gabo Ferro - Todo Lo Solido