Why does Sup Forums hate jazz?

Are you guys really that big of plebs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_c3OqrV2BE0&ab_channel=BoxausHolz
youtube.com/watch?v=EUOKS6Blpe8&ab_channel=BoxausHolz
youtube.com/watch?v=0ASf3X1Sstw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

but i love jazz. my favorite recording would have to be davis and coltrane's 1954 blue note collab, "the list could go on"

Blame jazz not us. It has the lowest percentage of free previews available via streaming and it has the highest album costs which are then most often blind buys. Their fault not ours.

I don't hate jazz I hate the kids in jazz threads who act like the lesser known artists are actually better than the well knowns like Miles Davis and Mingus.

Almost all of the classic albums and artists are available on Spotify. Not really an excuse.

Isn't that every thread with every genre on Sup Forums

I don't get it and I have no desire or need to get it.

For me, I buy physical copies. Fuck streaming

Mooooostly

Only contrarians shit on autechre for example, but I just find it particularly unacceptable for jazz :p

well that must make it hard for you to discover and listen to new music of any genre

Jazz is great. I love Monk, Mingus, and Miles.

It's degenerate urban music for those with brains so rotted by television and coca cola that they can no longer think coherently or comprehend the sublime.
Not in /classycool/, exempting a few edgy Mozart underraters.

>degenerate urban music
>comprehend the sublime

having fun in your undergraduate philosophy course?

Where the fuck do you see urban degenerates bumping jazz standards?
Sounds like people I'd want to hang with

Depends on the jazz. I like older jazz music. Not a huge fan of modern stuff

>It's degenerate urban music for those with brains so rotted by television and coca cola that they can no longer think coherently or comprehend the sublime.

good chart, id swap bitches brew and mingus ah um myself

Depending on the type of "older jazz," you might like Ambrose Akinmusire's The Painted Savior... from 2014. It's a similar sound to the late 50s/early 60s Blue Note artists.

I actually got that recommendation from someone else recently. I'm not bug into Post-Bebop stuff, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the rec

we like dj spooky

Thanks. Mingus Ah Um is incredible, but Bitches Brew has that nostalgic value too. The trumpet melody on Pharaoh's Dance is one of my favorite pieces of Jazz ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=_c3OqrV2BE0&ab_channel=BoxausHolz
youtube.com/watch?v=EUOKS6Blpe8&ab_channel=BoxausHolz

does Sup Forums like torben unit? these guys are pretty obscure but this new album they released is great. a lot of focus on old synths

>claims to love jazz
>doesn't listen to Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, or anyone before 1950

For bebop-ish there's also Bird Calls by Rudresh Mahanthappa which is a bunch of reworkings of Charlie Parker tunes. That was last year, I think.

>claims to like rock
>doesn't listen exclusively to Woody Guthrie and Gene Autrey

What are you talking about

Dead Man Blues is my alarm, actually

Anybody heard this? Just listened this morning and thought it was pretty badass

Max Roach was pretty talented his whole career.

1959 best year for Jazz?

>Milt Jackson & John Coltrane - Bags & Trane
>Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
>Frank Sinatra - Come Dance with Me!
>Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
>Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
>Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz
>Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
>Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook
>Thelonious Monk - The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall
>Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
>Miles Davis - Workin'

>third by soft machine
Mah nigga

Hell yeah, there's a pretty cozy doc on YouTube about 1959 in jazz

This one?
youtube.com/watch?v=0ASf3X1Sstw

Yeah baby

I don't hate jazz, I just hate jazz elitists, along with all other elitists too.

does that make you an elitist elitist

No, it makes me a normal person using common sense to call them out of their bullshit.

>normal person

normie fag

we doin jazz top 50s now?

here's my all time. one album per artist so nothing's weighed down (or else coltrane would take up like a quarter lol)

yeah this is my favorite I heard for the first time this year so far. extremely theatrical