My professor was talking about the 2016 election and he said "the fact that the winner of the election did not become...

My professor was talking about the 2016 election and he said "the fact that the winner of the election did not become president proves that we do not live in a democracy, we actually live in a dictatorship". Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

usconstitution.net/constfaq_q76.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sBJmogy9d6U&t=308s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Your professor is literally autistic.

It proves that we as Americans are fucking retarded because rather than reform the system so that the popular vote matters we'll just bitch about it for 4 years until it fails again.

If you favor the disbandment of the Electorial College, I hope you live in New York or LA or other similarly-sized cities, because you are literally saying that the only votes that matter are ones that come from the five or six biggest population centers.

Do you see any negative consequences of having it based on the popular vote only?

That's because we are a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Your professor is retarded.

He gave us the day off so we could join an anti-Trump rally. I don't know what we can do to change it on an individual level though.

This

CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC > MOB RULE

the masses are fucking retarded

your professor is butthurt to the max. He means that Hillary won the popular vote. But the electoral college made Trump the victor. Your professor is most likely a liberal cuck and not worthy of the right to vote.

Popular vote is just mob rule. The electoral college is a compromise between mob rule and a privileged voting class

I hope he doesn't teach anything related to civics or political science, because that's dumb as fuck

you live in a republic with clear election rules. your 'professor' needs to go back to school and learn what the definition of dictatorship means.

We live in a republic. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Explain to me why a rich person in New York be telling a steel worker in the rust belt how to live their lives? And if they disagree they are a racist, homophobe, sexist, etc whatever the new buzz word is, that is pretty fucked. The system was made to protect minorities(not a racial minority) not for fairness.

he doesn't think that the campaigns would have been run differently if the outcome was based on popular vote instead of electoral college?

This

Your professor is an idiot who doesn't know what either of those words mean. We live in a democratic republic. It is theoretically possible, though fairly unlikely, for the person who wins the most votes to not become our leader, because that is not how our leader is determined.

Maybe those 2.6 million Americans whose vote didn't count would like to know that their vote wasn't counted so they don't have to pay federal taxes for the next four years. NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION (and asshats like Trump who don't pay taxes don't get to vote).

They're still represented you moron.

Logic much?

tell her that we live in a republic

They didn't just vote for president dumbass. They voted for congressional representatives, senators, and other public offices. They are still represented. Otherwise people would have stopped paying taxes after Obama won in 2008.

UK fag here but kinda stupid to suggest the 2.7 million lead is valid given she had a 4.5m lead in california.

He said that people say popular vote favors large cities too much. But the electoral college was decided entirely by racist hicks living in states like FL, WI, MI and PA thus giving white supremacy control of the election.

He teaches political science at UCLA.

It does prove that we don't live in a democracy, because we don't. We live in a republic.
Your professor ought to research what the word "dictatorship" means.

just show him this and remind the cunt that its "The United States of America" not just 'california, new york, and some other places"

That doesn't even make sense. We don't live in a democracy for starters, the United States is a republic. You can have your opinion on that but its pointless to try and prove the United States isn't a democracy because it's not trying to be one. The election would also have nothing to do with the country being a dictatorship unless the government was responsible for controlling the election or the person elected is a dictator. So if your professor actually exists they're retarded.

You like apples? How ya like dem apples?

his professor is actually his unit commander at headquarters in Tel Aviv.

WHY
DOES IT MATTER
WHERE THE VOTES CAME FROM

MORE PEOPLE WHO VOTED VOTED FOR CLINTON
THAT'S A FACT

The real fucking tragedy is that so few goddamn people voted.
It needs to be a national holiday, it's a fucking disgrace.

Your professor is an idiot and needs to learn more words.
We live in a fading republic blossoming into a plutocracy.

>implying the people who voted illegally should have a right to say in our country

Let's just ignore the fact that millions of illegals voted for Clinton, 'eh?

>we don't live in a democracy

usconstitution.net/constfaq_q76.html

That didn't happen.
No matter how smugly you suggest it did, there is no proof that it happened.

>"the fact that the winner of the election did not become president proves that we do not live in a democracy, we actually live in a dictatorship".

And people wonder why today's youth seen retarded.

So? That's not how the electoral college works. Toosey badsy.

And can you prove that it didn't happen? It's a haunch either way, but I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is grounded in a bit more of a realistic situation.

dropout of college, you're being tought by genuine retards

we live in a republic
a representative democracy

Because our whole fucking system is set up so that 'most votes = win' doesn't happen. It's a compromise that makes sense if you actually think about it for a second.

Except most of those states and counties went to Obama in 08 and 12... I guess they all turned into racist hicks when they wouldn't vote for Hillary.

Your logic is impeccable.

Yes, your election did not matter, bu again, like in most third world countries

Your professor needs their PhD revoked. The US is a democratic republic. The founding fathers made damn sure that the government wouldnt be a democracy.

So more people voted for Clinton?
Cool
Good thing popular vote doesn't decide the president huh.

>And can you prove that it didn't happen
You can't prove a negative you tool.
That's not how logic works.

>I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is grounded in a bit more of a realistic situation
I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't understand what "grounded" means.

>Because our whole fucking system is set up so that 'most votes = win' doesn't happen
Except that is exactly what normally happens.

MFW I see all the liberal butthurt a month after the election.

The next 8 years are going to be great.

end public school

end gov money to university and end all loans

Why is this so hard to understand? Also we live in a republic not a democracy? ... I just cant even...

youtube.com/watch?v=sBJmogy9d6U&t=308s

you replied to me and this is my response

if that was the case why the fuck would anyone campaign anywhere other than california and new york you redneck dingus

It makes me happy to see that people actually understand that this country is not a democracy and how unfair a democracy actually is :D

>I CAN'T PROVE THAT ILLEGALS DIDN'T DO SOMETHING
>I CAN'T PROVE THAT ILLEGAL DID DO SOMETHING

Burden of proof is on either side. I'm waiting for you to argue how illegals didn't dare to vote in our election in states such as California. Please, I am waiting for your evidence of this situation instead of a claim. At least I owned up to say mine was a haunch.

Yeah, a true democracy = mob rule, which would be extremely bad for any minority in the long run - and I don't mean racial minority, I mean any group that's smaller than the largest demographic.

We never have been a democracy. We are a democratic republic where instead of everyone voting on everything all the time we elect representatives to vote for us. This keeps dumbasses like your professor from doing stupid liberal bullshit which feels good but makes no actual sense in real life and allows a buffer between shit stains like him and power which is a good thing. Trump won with the most electoral votes which is the way Presidential races have always been run and crying about it after the fact further validates the system.

Does it really matter?

You didn't have any power yesterday, you don't have any power today. You won't have any power tomorrow either.

If you actually care ... read history and the federalist papers. The founders didnt want just the major populated cities to call the elections while the rest of the country gets ignored. It really isnt that hard.

He's right, we don't live in a democracy, thank God.

>Except that is exactly what normally happens.
Right, but it's not guaranteed, and for good reason.

Tell your professor that if the situation was reversed, with Trump taking the popular vote and Hillary winning the electoral college, we would be singing the praises of such an "undemocratic" system

It's hunch. Not haunch. Haunch is your ass.

Still thinking areas should vote the president in, and not the people.

For national office, it should be a national vote, regardless of where the fuck people live. Fuck your districting, gerrrymandering, and winner-takes-all misrepresentation.

ask bernie what he thinks about electoral delegates

>professor thinks the most populated 2 states should decide every election

>can't into actually understanding electoral college
>only complains when results aren'tto his liking

for the amount the left has talked about dictatorships why dont they go live in one,im sure they wont be missed

>system is to protect minorities
Well then the system just failed for the forty fifth time in a row, and fucking catastrophically this time.

>until it fails again

how come the only time people decided to complain about the popular vote is when there candidate lost

you dont fix things that arent broken

ja ja ja putas

OP must go to a shitty college with underpaid professors who bemoan a system which serves to benefit the best of its citizens rather than the lowbrow morons who make up the majority of the country

I don't understand the "We have a electoral college because otherwise only highly populated cities would choose the president." argument. Having significantly more people sounds like a totally valid reason to care about one city's opinion over another. Besides giving so much weigh to a person's location in their voting powers seems a bit arbitrary.

>we do not live in a democracy
we don't, we never claimed that we did.

*republic, it's true, and god do I hope that was not a civics teacher

Just a reminder

yeah, but the electoral college literally just gives bigger landholders more of a vote. Makes no fucking sense.

this map shows california, new york and some other places. those tiny red dots sure are collectively smaller than those big blue ones.

shows that even education doesn't equate to intelligence

/thread
yaron brook would be proud
viva objectivism

The vote in a representative government is the mechanism through which leadership is selected who represents the will of the people, T or F.

That's right bitch, it's F, fuck the people, they're disposable. Leaderships job is to represent the best interest of the country. The country will outlast all you dumb fucks. If that means we need to let republicunts take absolute power, put the entire nation in the hands of a fucking lunatic, and wreck up the place, to learn the hard way why it's more fun to read about demagogues than to actually live under them, so be it.

I agree with the electoral college, time to burn this fucker down and build the nation anew.

spoken like a nazi

amen
preach on brother

No, it didn't. Rural Americans are the minority now, and we don't want some city bred liberal asshole dictating our lives to us.
That is why we are a democratic republic - so everyone gets a voice through a representative we choose as a group.
You don't like your representative? Work harder to get yours elected, run for office, or move to a more friendly climate.
Burden is on you to change things, not on society to give in to your whims.

It's the United States of America not the United States of California and New York.

and thus is a total moron
end public school
end all grants and stu loans

Well, thank you for correcting the record. I fucked up. Can you argue about the points I presented?

Ask you professor if he knows who Pol Pot is.
If he does, remind him teachers were killed first for their political dissent.

Thanks to gerrymandering we don't get a fair chance at choosing our representatives.

wait so you think it's MORE FAIR for minorities to tell majorities what to do?

fuck they have these retards so dumb they think unfairness is actually more fair than fairness.

That's because you fucking morons are all clumped together in the big blue areas. Those of us in the middle of the country have money and land. Enjoy your studio apartment living poorfag.

your professor is a buttmad faggot.

The electoral college keeps california and new york from fucking over the rest of the goddamned country. If we were a direct democracy california and new york would win by population density alone.

the EC was established to keep the dumb majority of the population to tryannize the country.

All these liberal big cities have the highest unemployment, highest cost of living, lowest education stats.

This prevents tyranny by the easily influenceable majority.

Think about all the hate against DT fueled by the media, and fueling dumb liberals to FURY. electoral college keeps the decision in the hands of people truly competent enough to make the decision.

Also. We live in a republic. We vote for our laws democratically.

And dictators aren't elected.

They didn't campaign for the popular vote, it wasn't the goal. You have no idea how the election would have turned out if they actually tried.

Also were a democratic republic, not a straight democracy.

You're professor is too stupid to be teaching.

Also remember he was supported by the US government.

Tell me what a Republic looks like!
THIS IS WHAT A REPUBLIC LOOKS LIKE!

We don't live in a democracy. We live in a republic.

Read the Constitution.

The election has always been about winning states not the most votes, politicians would campaign differently and focus only on population center if the latter we true.

Move to a state that doesn't use gerrymandering then.
Petition your representative to get the laws changed. People - ordinary people - get laws they want on the books written and passed all the time for various things.
Run for your state congress yourself and change the law.

We're* your*

autocorrect m8