>TMNT 2 bomed
>Alice 2 bombed
>X-Men Apocalypse (kind of) bombed
>Neighbors 2 bombed
>Now You See me 2 bombed
>Warcraft bombed
>ID4 2 bombed
>Tarzan tracking to bomb too

What is happening? Are people just refusing to see bad movies now?

(US box office btw)

Am I the only person who liked Zoolander 2?

I was under the impression that most of the bad movies now target foreign markets such as China as their primary revenue source.

>>Warcraft bombed

Depends on who you're talking to pal

This and the fact there's plenty of alternate forms of entertainment. Netflix really changed the landscape and I prefer watching it and Hulu original series than risk getting shot at a theater for an overpriced flick.

But normies loved it

RT critics are just full jew mode right now

Those are all sequels no one asked for.

People only care for shared universes and animated movies it seems. Or you know, only manchildren go to the theaters.

In the US it's only made like 44 million. Doing pretty well internationally.

Is there a recession in the US you motherfuckers are keeping quiet or something? Can you fucking poorfags go and see a fucking movie already?

You forgot
>ghostbusters recoups its budget on midnight screenings alone and is nominated for best picture

>Are people just refusing to see bad movies now?
BvS did well so no.

the fuck the only one that really bombed was Zoolander 2. Xmen apocalypse made like 500 million

in fact it is hard for movies to bomb since those FUCKING CHINESE see every movie

This is your god now.

I don't feel like spending $10+ bucks on 2 hours that I can easily wait a couple months later to DL or stream. TV is far better nowadays.

I thought ID4 2 was supposed to be the Jurassic World of 2016. What happened?

JW didn't have any original cast and it made 1.5 billion. More than the first.

Alice 2 was Rickmans last film.

dinosaurs and Meme Man

I was hoping that this movie would redeem this year's blockbusters by being the only good one that isn't capeshit, but I guess I was wrong.

ID4 was big because of SFX and it was a different time. The ESB and White House blown to fuck? Alien ships? Fuck yeah! Now? No one cares.

Today, SFX is nothing and that type of story won't fly in today's world.

Yes. But Hollywood won't see it that way. To them this is a sign that America just doesn't want to watch movies anymore, so now more than ever they will be appealing to the China market and the films will only get shittier

Even without the bombs this has been a pretty shit year for movies in general.

What has been worthwhile or outstanding? BvS? Zootopia? Fuck.

>that type of story won't fly in today's world
what did he mean by this?

it was good, not great. it had too many jokes that amounted to "remember that joke from the first movie?" I think dumb and dumber too was a way better sequel, but I'll probably rewatch zoolander 2 occasionally

>What is happening? Are people just refusing to see bad movies now?

>See gross for TFA and Civil War

No. People are still seeing shitty movies, except now reviewers are shilling for them and brainwashing audiences to watch this drivel

People are afraid to go to the theaters 'cause it's shoot'em up and chimp out season in the USA.

Also tickets are expensive.

He was speaking domestically. All of those movies bombed when you look at the US take

A reminder if you actually think people are being "bought off" like it's 50s prohibition, you probably believe in flat earth theory and faked moon landings.

Stop being retarded.

The difference is that Independence Day was always a shit movie, and no one wanted to see that garbage again.

It's whole schtick has been done better by others, even that godawful Spielberg WotW.

Should have shown that alien queen running around in the trailer

>mccarthy best actress
>she-boon best supporting

If Ghostbusters bombs then yes

>godawful Spielberg WotW.
what made it godawful?

>Paul Feig best director

More people are becoming like me my friend. If it aint Marvel, it aint touchin my eyes.

>According to Vox Culture, with this movie, "20th Century Fox desperately hopes it can start its own Star Wars franchise to replace the one it lost to Disney".

This

It's pretty much this. People have so many more forms of entertainment and justifying spending $50+ for a group of 4 is ridiculous.

There's no way it'll be a hit. All of the controversy surrounding it makes it look like shit. You have feminists screaming "ONLY MISOGYNISTS HATE IT! GO SEE THE MOVIE 10 TIMES TO FIGHT THE PATRIARCHY!" but most normies don't want a Ghostbusters remake and don't care about feminism.

Well they continue to flock to MCU crap, so no. Disney has complete control over critics and audiences. They can get them to go see anything and praise it.

>Fox/Paramount/WB movie
>it ain't me starts playing

>think about the movies I've seen in a theater this year
>realize every single one is Sup Forums related

>top 3 grossing films this year are Disney
>2 of them are kids' movies

Coincidence? I doubt it.

9/11, remember?

>kids' movies

It's not like that's a new thing. A kid's movie is pretty much a guaranteed 3-ticket sale. It's always been that way.

Cloverfield was concieved as 9/11: the creature feature and it was big

America rejects non-kino now.

Actually I meant the pro-nationalism, all band together themes.

It's 2K16, bro, you can't be pro-anything other than mental illness.

People are paying more attention to how a movie is reviewed by the 'experts' than ever before. Likely due to the increased competition and price. No point going to the cinema unless you know it's at least a decent flick.

wait zoolander 2 bombed? i taught it was even

also jfc if a movie doesn't make a million its not "bombed", you have to make it relative to their budget.

another thing is afaik, Tarzan was made to be a "bomb" as a tax write off to result as a loss

ID4 was carried by its charismatic leads, groundbreaking special effetcs for the time, and rousing score. ID4 2 is led by literal whos, CGI you can see in any other blockbuster, and a generic score. Not surprising it didn't catch on. Also, JW had Chris Pratt (hot off Guardians) and dinosaurs (which we don't see too often).

Movie wasn't about one country saving the world

When they do that celebration on the moon they show several flags, not just the US

How hard is Star Trek Beyond going to bomb?

I'm predicting anywhere from $170-$300 mill worldwide absolute maximum. It'll end ST movies for a while anyway.

A lot of movies are written off as losses in Hollywood for tax reasons. You really believe Fox when they say that they've never made a profit on Star Wars? Or that you need to make 3 times your budget to even begin to make a profit? It's all bullshit, basically money laundering to keep the execs pockets filled..

Just shit economy coupled more entertainment mediums via the internet (and lack of originality in hollywood). Parting ways with the money it costs to see a movie now compared to a few decades ago is on average more difficult

And Jurassic Park is simply way more popular and influential than Independence Day ever was.

Plus, Sup Forums might not remember, but Jurassic World got big on word of mouth. It's tracking was solid, but not groundbreaking, but people kept talking, and as such it blew up.

I remember when it came out. Pretty much all of my friends love it and they fifty shades of cinema taste.

You're lowballing it way too much. It'll probably clock at $450 million worldwide, at minimum.

But I wouldn't be surprised if if turns out to be a surprise darling with the critics, I heard good things about the script and the visuals look nice.

>

This. All the movies in OP's list are either sequels, reboots or shitty adaptations.

Looks like people are finally getting fed up with that shit.

People would rather wait until the Blu-ray comes out and watch movies in the comfort of their own homes with on a huge TV with a nice surround sound system. Going to the movies is such a chore these days, especially with the oversaturation of capeshit and movies trying to capture the capeshit vibe. It's all really generic garbage.

>People would rather wait until the Blu-ray rip comes out

Fixed that for you

all those movies have shit reviews

>Zoolander 2 bombed 23%
>Huntsman 2 bombed 16%
>TMNT 2 bomed 37%
>Alice 2 bombed 30%
>X-Men Apocalypse (kind of) bombed 48%
>Neighbors 2 bombed Chloe BOX OFFICE POISON Moretz 62%
>Now You See me 2 bombed 34%
>Warcraft bombed 30%
>ID4 2 bombed 32%
>Tarzan tracking to bomb too

people care about reviews now

They are less likely to go see shit if it has a shit review

Why is this set to bomb anyways? It comes out in a few weeks and there's been next to no advertising or promotion for it. Why?

>>Zoolander 2 bombed
sequel from a miracle funny movie, cant get the miracle twice
>>Huntsman 2 bombed
not original, spin off, of a kids movie made for adults? fucking retarded
>>TMNT 2 bomed
sequel of a sequel of a BAD REBOOT, even tmnt2 was better than the first, old one with fucking puppets are better, and kids dont know the turtles like manchildren
>>Alice 2 bombed
sequel, again from a kids animated movie just to try 3d and live action... retarded
>>X-Men Apocalypse (kind of) bombed
xmen50, and from the first one wasnt even good, i cant name a good xmen movie, theyre just making them for keeping the rights, they all suck, including wolverines, theyre so bad for superhero movies
>>Neighbors 2 bombed
sequel of a comedy... cant do that starfox
>>Now You See me 2 bombed
lmao
>>Warcraft bombed
not really, all fans like it ,even if its a 6/10, but yeah its kinda bad
>>ID4 2 bombed
no will smith
>>Tarzan tracking to bomb too
tarzan 100 the reboot of the resequel of the remade, its done to death, even george of the jungle its better

this is easy op

>62%
That's a decent score though.

Even the big capeshit films aren't doing as well. Ultron and Civil War made less than Avengers 1 when everyone was saying they'd make 2 billion.

Reportedly test-screenings were negative and they conducted lenghty reshoots.

>Warcraft bombed
>$160mill budget
>$400mill box office

I didn't even watch it but that's not a bomb.

that's why I put Chloe Box office Poison Moretz

Well I mean, if you reheat the same turd too many times people will eventually catch on

Marvel isn't in the business of making good movies anymore

Nobody expected "Age of Ultron" and "Civil War" to make $2 billion, aside from overexcited fans. Marvel was reportedly aiming at $1,700,000,000 for "Age of Ultron", got $1,400,000,000.

"Civil War" they were just angling for the $1 billion and they got it.

If box office matters at all, Jurassic Park and Independence Day both were absolute smashes. The third and fourth most successful films of the 90s, behind only Star Wars and Titanic. I can understand interest in reviving the property.

Jurassic Park (1993): $900 million
Independence Day (1996): $817.4 million

emo face paint is what passes for a "alien " now.

>are you even trying

The green body paint chick that kirk fucks is meant as a call back to the original and a joke,you don't make the real aliens fucking body painted humans.

It's bombed domestically.
Blizzard is lucky China literally saved their ass.

I think audiences are starting to get sick of capeshit. It won't die anytime soon but over the next few years we're gonna see capeshit box office slowly dwindle and then the capeshit fad will be killed off by a string of duds.

International box office doesn't mean much for studios. If it flops domestically, the franchise dies.

That doesn't make any sense because foreign distributors keep a much larger percentage of the gross than domestics. Movies studios don't keep all the money that a movie grosses- that's why it's called a gross.

American theatres might keep 1/3 of the revenue Chinese theatres get line 2/3

They've also lost fan support - click on any news article, trailer or TV spot and you'll get a littany of fans complaining that Justin Lin is directing or that it uses Beastie Boys music or about the motorcycle. While Star Trek fans don't account for most of the box office (or even much of it), they can create good or bad word of mouth, and largely they seem to have disowned it.

There's even a campaign from the guys who made the Axanar film to boycott the film and the new show.

That all said, I actually thought the Rihanna trailer was quite good, personally. I think the trailers have shown Lin has an eye for some cool space imagery, between the Swarm explosion scene, the new warp effect, and the new space station. Trekkies will hate him regardless, even if he's responsible for revitalising the Fast & Furious franchise with its more watchable entries.

>emo face paint is what passes for a "alien " now.
>now

Completely forget the original Star Trek shows and movies? Even Star Wars has a ton of rubber-forehead, lazy facepaint aliens mixed with all the good designs.

Jurassic Park simply stood the test of time, it had a more lasting impact in pop culture than Independence Day.

Plus, as other people have said, most of what made Independence Day groundbreaking (CGI, mass destruction, big cast) is commonplace nowadays.

I didn't see any of those movies in theaters so the answer to your question op, is yes.

Tmnt was good though. You guys judge too hard on those movies. It was much better than the first one, it's just a fun flick to kick back relax and watch

Not that guy but it was awful. Paper thin characters, the pacing was all fucked up, Based Cruise was the only good thing

There were plenty of practical effects and models used in the first Independence Day, and it also still holds up to today.

ok neat, so the movie should still be roughly the same quality as the JJ ones, cool

It depends on word-of-mouth, really. Marvel is at the height of its popularity, Fox has a short, but loyal audience and low expectations from the studio, DC tried to get too big too fast and it blew up in their faces.

Marvel and Fox will probably keep with their averages at least until 2019, DC could either keep flopping and find its pace.

it costs $20 to see a movie now

fewer people are going to the movies now than they were back in the 1920s.

and somehow movie studios and theaters are making bank.

I took my sister's family to go see TFA when that came out, and after everything was said and done, I spent around 150 dollars. Just to see one fucking movie once. People don't want to spend that kind of money on something that they aren't sure they're going to like. Pretty much all the stuff on that list is either sequels to LITERALLY WHO movies, or sequels to something that nobody asked for.

There is a difference between revenue and profit.

In order to be considered successful a movie must gross at least twice its budget domestically. This is to account for the distributors net and the marketing budget.

Meanwhile, a destined disaster made a miracle beyond any expectation.

Fair enough. And I know it's popular to bash ID4 nowadays. Though it's one of my favorite movies. I acknowledge it isn't a great film, though the three leads (Smith, Goldblum, and Pullman) and David Arnold's score really do wonders. It leaves you feeling satisfied and optimistic.

Absolutely.

Total number of new releases I've watched this year: 0

Tarzan WILL bomb because nobody's asking for that shit, and yet, like the Lone Ranger, some dumb fucking Jew thought it would be a good idea to earn some shekels.

Hollywood deserves to die.

I doubt it. Marvel typically put out watchable flicks. I think they've reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of budget, though. and will have to start cutting back.

Any movie bombing is bad for Hollywood in general but the only movie I really want to bomb this year is Ghostbusters because it's written, produced, and directed by MEN

nah i liked it too although i dont remember much of it now that I think about it.

>lazy facepaint aliens
That was mostly done for budget reasons in the 60s and 70s.Over time it sort of became a meme/trope in sci-fi.

On a $160 million budget it needed to make $320 million domestically in order to be a success.

It made $44 million.

I'm not sure what you're implying here. That kids don't exist?

neighbours 2 probably bombed because it was about feminism for like 3/4 of the movie and really made no sense why as the primary audience were uni aged guys.

the feminism was so hamfisted into the script. neighbours ended with a guys life being ruined and like 15 guys ending up homeless. neighbours 2 ends with all the girls renting the house from seth rogan with money they got from their sorority devouring others because of their feminist attitude.

It depends on the studios ability to wrangle numbers. Did you know that as of 2004, Goodfellas was still in the red?

In the end, we can only speculate as to what is successful and isn't.

except that all the blizdrone fanboys loved it, so there definitely WILL be a sequel at the very least, if not a trilogy.