This is the scariest album I've ever heard

After hearing the album one night, I had nightmares the following 2 nights and it still creeps me out, how can you enjoy this? It makes me scared

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Newmaker
youtu.be/lxZpEFJhO6k
youtube.com/watch?v=2hwhNRARTj0
youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXp0eF8s0
youtube.com/watch?v=1HXa4UiY8Yc
youtube.com/watch?v=b0sNLKMJAoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tONEk9YMoIw
youtube.com/watch?v=JzMQXB0x1Eo&t=1408s
youtube.com/watch?v=b6ycnnA2R6s
youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0LfAXjZps
youtube.com/watch?v=f5goA8nqwa8
youtube.com/watch?v=WIVqIB_L9Kc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reminds me of bad trips and solitary late winter hiking trips, it's comfy.

scary

LOL

Putting it on right now.

What's so scary about it OP? I've always noticed something vaguely ominous about Boards of Canada, but nothing nightmare inducing.

its relaxing, it does get a bit dark in some parts. Like "You Can Feel The Sky", "Gyroscope" "The Devils in The Details". One of my favorite BoC albums. I get a mysterious vibe from it.

You serious? Some of those weird vocal samples and odd noises...it's really creepy. I was high at the time which didn't help but it's still very creepy sober and I can't listen to it, just like a horror movie in musical form!

it's not that creepy, it does get a bit dark at points but I'm not sure what would be creepy about this

I could link shit that's way creepier

do it faggot

Put this album on for someone who routinely smoked pot, but he was sober. It freaked him out a little too.

While most Boards of Canada albums do have an eerie feeling to them, Geogaddi is a league above creepy. With all the haunted and spooky interludes, the story behind Julie and Candy, the 6:66 running time, as well as some of the most uncomfortable songs like Gyroscope or You Can Feel the Sky, it really makes it an album that can haunt you.

Whats the story with Julie and Candy?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Newmaker

Well shit

what the fuck man thats some weird shit

Devils in the Details creeps me the fuck out. I mean, the whole album does, but that track just makes me feel unsafe. Great fucking album.

That song reminds me of a swimming in a river are night and you feel like you're being watched

I used to describe it as being strip searched and being processed through customs at an alien airport

geogaddi has always been a favorite of this board. Can't quite say it's my #1 from BoC, but I definitely love it. Gives me chills that can't be emulated elsewhere

fuck me had to stop reading

Geogaddi is still one of my favorite albums of all time. I remember having trouble sleeping the first night I listened to it. Hopefully Boards of Canada's next release is as dark as Geogaddi.

Crazy how this Album can creep you out more than any Metal album

That's really fucked up, but how do you know it's what inspired Julie and Candy beyond the names in the title matching up?

this

this is the musical equivalent of DMT

not op but
youtu.be/lxZpEFJhO6k

isn't dmt suppose to be really relaxing, in the correct amount?

This spooked me pretty hard the first time I listened to it.

lol no dude

DMT takes you somewhere else entirely if you break through, you'll be in psychedelic hyperspace.

DMT is basically Salvia but not absolutely terrifying.

Only somewhat related, but Cocteau Twins feels really creepy to me sometimes. Despite the overwhelming majority of their music being upbeat.
youtube.com/watch?v=2hwhNRARTj0

Suicide's Frankie Teardrop is the scariest song ever made.
youtube.com/watch?v=8_dXp0eF8s0

Listen to the second track of this album in the dark

>Nope.
youtube.com/watch?v=1HXa4UiY8Yc

anything by swans

I'm so fucking mad right now. They should all be serving life.

its just a theory i found on the BoC subreddit

dude i know i was fuming. Its really fucking sad. :(

somewhat creepy != scary. Swans are awful anyway

I recall the only time I've ever been genuinely horrified at music was when I first heard Revolution 9. It was sometime during my middle school years. I was listening to the White Album by myself for the first time and me being familiar with and liking the song Revolution 1, I expected Revolution 9 to be another recording of the same song. I'll never forget the absolute terror I felt listening to it, waiting for the actual song to start.

Excavation or 4 Rooms are better spooky memes.
Conet Project is scary but not really good.

kek

Hopefully Boards releases another album :/

At least they're not dead.
youtube.com/watch?v=b0sNLKMJAoQ

I tried to put on this weird trippy video for Julie And Candy while on shrooms with friends and they were creeped out and turned it off. In hindsight, it is a dark, creepy song/video I get it but nmaybe im weird for liking shit like that...I dunno.

youtube.com/watch?v=tONEk9YMoIw

essential scarycore

How is it scary?
To me it is actually kind of relaxing, with Devil in the Details being the only "scary" song here.

Gyroscope isn't scary either, unless you're genuinely creeped out by numbers stations.

Essential hauntology core
youtube.com/watch?v=JzMQXB0x1Eo&t=1408s

I love spooky music like Geogaddi, but I don't think I could ever listen to it while on hallucinogens.

It might be really, really cool, but if it went the wrong way it would ruin both the trip and the album for me.

Yeah "weird" music especially can be intense on psycs. Id pass on BOC unless you want a bad trip

lmao

as for the rest of you, maybe i can get recs to more low rumbling/concrete dark ambient like these?

youtube.com/watch?v=b6ycnnA2R6s
youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0LfAXjZps

I appreciate devil is in the details after learning the distorted speech is a guided meditation used in therapy involving hypnotism.

youtube.com/watch?v=f5goA8nqwa8

I'll just leave this here.

Whenever I see "scary music" threads, I always think of a couple of folders that popped up in a random share thread a year or two ago (may have been longer, I'm not sure).

The images on the posts were of body parts (I believe that they were female), bound underwater in some sort of transparent tank. The music was some sort of fucked-up field recording that had a bunch of samples of people whimpering and crying. It was strange, but I really wish that I could find it again.

Campfire Headphase is actually a really fun trip. Probably the only BoC release I would consider doing anything to.

Any recommendations for someone who loves shit like this?

I didn't realize this song had context to it. Makes me both appreciate it more and makes me a little more creeped out listening to it.

Geogaddi on shrooms was actually one of the best experiences of my life. All the songs feel like they last forever, and each of them is a unique natural world. Songs like Sunshine Recorder, 1969, You Could Feel the Sky, or Gyrscope are honestly incredible.

When you are tripping, especially on shrooms, all the nature components of the album shine, and any dark and spooky shit wasn't as noticeable or scary.

I've thought about dropping acid to it before. I'm just always afraid of getting a bad trip while listening to music like this.

I've always thought it would be one of the most amazing albums to trip to, assuming songs like Devil in the Details and You Could Feel the Sky don't ruin it.

that's because most metal albums aren't trying to be creepy.

Try tripping to the Few Old Tunes albums. Honestly made me feel like I'm reliving my childhood when listening to them. Very comfy.

Devil in the Details is the best song on the album though. It's beautiful.

it's like a spider godmother playing a tune on a MOOG to her adoptive baby.

Agreed. I hate them.

For those of you who own the "tall" cardboard gatefold CD copy, have a look inside the CD slipcase itself if you've never looked in there before.

For the record, I myself never found geogaddi all that creepy, though I appreciate all the stuff surrounding it. It was my first BoC album, and I gotta tell you, I wasn't that impressed. Happily, I followed up with Music has the Blah shortly thereafter. I've therefore always sorta written Geogaddi off as a meme, though I can remember a great record store having a giant poster of it, years ago.

It should be common sense to not keep your child wrapped super tightly in a blanket like that. Does that therapy method even have any successful documented cases?

I think the point is to have the child have a near death experience, and then feel reborn when they finally get air. Pretty stupid honestly.

i dont think the near death is intended, i think people who attempt that kind of thing just generally have no idea what theyre doing

hey this is actually a good thread :)

I haven't yet found an album that can give me an experience similar to Geogaddi. I almost always play it when on a long drive. It's just amazing to experience sundown with the latter part of the album. The acid trip I had with a few Geogaddi tracks (You could feel the sky, Music is Math, Beach at Redpoint) and Aquarius was the best ever.

All ears for any recs for this vibe.

A trippy thread to say the least

It's eerie but if you get legitametely scared by music you're a massive pussy. I regularly enjoy sleeping to Naked City and GR.

Zauberberg is gives me the same vibe that I get from Geogaddi, but it doesn't have the same sense of listening to something truly magical though. Still a really good album.

Pretty sure there's a voice clip at the start of the song of someone saying "I want to be born." [spoiler]Or maybe I imagined it.[/spoiler]

Pusssssssy, do you sleep with the lights on

That does sound kind of interesting.

Backmasked Revolution 9 actually gave me nightmares for months and a weird fear of demonic possession

Unsettling

youtube.com/watch?v=WIVqIB_L9Kc

Bump for the spooks

>salvia
>absolutely terrifying

nah, it's fun as fuck

>youtube.com/watch?v=WIVqIB_L9Kc

Always loved this album and Doll Doll Doll as well

Nah, they should be dead.

I found the audio transcript of the video. It makes me both very angry and kind of sad.

I don't find Geogaddi creepy or unsettling. I want to though. I don't customarily take drugs, is that what I'm missing?

pic related always creeped me out as a kid when my dad was listening to it. it still does.

Sometimes I wonder if BoC were in some kind of mind-control/gifted kids program when they lived in Canada. The weird covers to Hooper Bay and Play by Numbers, and the track names

i love how dawn chorus starts out all cold and chilly but then BZZZZZRRRZRZZRRZ and a wave of warm heaty sounds emergences and melts the ice

I've never understood this. Its been my favourite album for the longest time but I've never gotten gotten the "omg so sooper spook" vibes. Don't tell me I need to listen to it high because I've listened to it on both LSD and shrooms. I see it as more existential passing through into transcendental at times (coming up on shrooms while Dawn Chorus plays is a godly experience).

Yeah. They definitely come off as more mysterious than Aphex or Autechre.

oh shit thank you for this!