Is there a better living songwriter than Bob Dylan?

Is there a better living songwriter than Bob Dylan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mYajHZ4QUVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Leonard Coh-

Oh wait...

He doesn't write songs, he writes poems.

:(

I unironically think Springsteen is better

She will be known as such if she puts out one more album of this quality

Yes.

Ringo Starr

David B-
fuck

Bright Eyes whoops the shit out of Bob Dylan anyday

phil?

>Death Grips
>"fuck"
>Me
>"wow best songwriters of our time underrated this is lyrically and musically deep this is amazing i love it"

inb4 your dubs kill bob dylan

I would have to agree with you there

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan has some of the best songwriting I've ever heard, for a man with just a guitar, his voice, and a harmonica, this guy can make some incredible fucking songs.

tfw lived down the street from lenny's house for 27 years passed by every fucking day at his memorial to fix shit/make it look nice and neat

tfw ill never run into him at the main eating a smoked meat sandwich ever again

anyways pic related is best living songwriter alive prove me wrong

and songs

100%

isnt he kind a bad songwritter? i mean as a soloist

Bruce Springsteen
Van Morrison
Brian Mcmahan

me

Did actually do any bass parts or is he just dicking around in this photo?

I'm a huge Dylan fanboy, and I think he is. Let me state the case. If he had stopped making music in 1966, he would still be popular music's foremost songwriter. At that point, he had already made six of the best albums ever made. He still had before him John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, The Basement Tapes, Desire, Blood on the Tracks, Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times, not too mention numerous unreleased songs and non-album singles that stand up there with his best work (see Blind Willie McTell, Things Have Changed, Series of Dreams, and numerous others).

Other songwriters have had flashes of brilliance and bursts of creativity that rival Dylan's, but nobody has put out as much good material over such an extensive career. At the very least, you'd have to acknowledge that any other contender is an underdog.

Leonard Cohen is probably the strongest rival to Dylan. His lyrics tend to be more esoteric and intellectual than Dylan's, but that doesn't mean better. That said, Cohen is incredible, and I don't want to take anything from his achievement.

I can't really speak to Bruce Springsteen, as I haven't heard his best stuff.

As for Bowie, I love him and he's great, but he's nowhere near Dylan or Cohen.

Will Oldham

>Did actually do any bass parts or is he just dicking around in this photo?

He's doing both simultaneously.

me
I unironically would decapitate you with a thinkpad if I ever saw you irl

>Bob Dylan
>"pavement, thinking about the government"
>Me
>"wow best songwriters of our time underrated this is lyrically and musically deep this is amazing i love it"

Damn, that's a pretty harsh punishment for a correct opinion

lil dicky is terrible. get off his dick just because of the xxl freshmen damn

Are we speaking of "songwriting" as just the lyrics or are we including the actual composition of the music?

Because, if so, there are a ton of guys better than Dylan/Cohen/Bowie at writing popular music

Neil Young, Joni Mitchel, Robert Hunter

youtu.be/mYajHZ4QUVM
You were saying?

sir paul

The Koz

Agreed.

Silvio Rodriguez

sadly not living but