ITT: terrible covers

>it's deep because he's old

eh its not a terrible cover and its not deep because hes old. although i like nin's more. its a good rendition of cash of a nin song.

I like Bowie's cover of it more.

Just looking at the thumbnail, I thought it was a hairy monkey's paw playing guitar.

Now THAT would be a good cover.

Back in like 2003 there was a Hillary Duff cover of The Who - My Generation where she changed "hope I die before I get old" to "hope I don't die before I get old."

For me, the appeal of the cover comes in the music video...on its own as a song, I prefer the NiN version but Cash is a more important artist and one I enjoy more musically, but I don't really like his Rubin stuff so the music video is powerful for me because it focuses on a time when he was actually on top of his game...and obviously, the fact that he and his wife died soon after makes it more emotional

Well, Pete "pedophile" Townshend is still alive, so the original is stupid anyway

Bowie's cover of Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World is pretty good too

If you can watch that music video and not feel anything, you are not human.

Plain and simple, straight up.

what if manipulative saccharine trash doesn't work on me?

Is that honestly all you see in it? When I think of genuine "hurt", I think of that video. It's haunting to me. It brings a feeling over me manifested through the realization that everybody gets old. It's so bizarre, seeing that entire career in clips, him being such an iconic musician and was always around. I know it may seem "cheesy", but it's true. He knew death was coming. After all the stuff he'd been through, put other people through with his mistakes, you just never really think everything can come to an end. But it does. And now he's been gone for just over 13 years.

Ok, but this is a music board, when we talk about the song itself it isn't much to write home about.

I think the appeal in his cover comes from the fact that for Reznor this was just a character in a story he wrote but for Cash, the lyrics actually can be applied to his life, you know...he actually lived a life, more of one than Reznor ever did...and had the extreme ups and downs and was actually a major star and experienced loss and just two months after the song was released his wife in the video died and he lost the last thing that mattered to him and died soon after

Reznor's life just improved after the song and it became completely inapplicable to him as an individual

well that's probably because you were only 3 when he died

Neither is Lift Yr Skinny Fists but we all post about that, all cresendo-core is inherently worthless but it's designed to be appealing and it is, it's unavoidable unless you allow yourself to become completely jaded and cynical

this

also having seen the movie Walk The Line helps

More like johnny ass

so overrated

even stripped of all personal connections the cash version is still sublime. he was a master interpreter; the fact that he (and rubin) managed to turn the very peak of '90s alt-rock hopelessness into a (strangely affirming) doomsday evergreen for normies is proof of that

if anything, reznor's version is the more 'manipulative' of the two

kek

>Trent's version is deep because he was a junkie

It's a cliche song about how you're a shitty person for sticking needles in your arm and Cash made it more meaningful then that.

If you actually think it's bad you're a reddit-tier contrarian

isn't the NIN version just a cover of joy division or have i been lied to my whole life