U2 - The Joshua Tree

Released 30 years ago today...

What are your thoughts on this record and the band themselves?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PkWPbarTgs0
youtube.com/watch?v=DHSL0Wvyf3k
youtube.com/watch?v=nxd41pXaCzE
youtube.com/watch?v=xqse3vYcnaU
youtube.com/watch?v=_D6y9yYiJyI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not their best album but it's up there. They were great for that first decade

This is great, uh, rock n' roll music...

I once saw Bono live like 4 years ago and I was literally the only person in the audience

Bono is the only one side on because he died during recording and was replaced. This is also why he wears sunglasses now and his music is shit

The Joshua Tree > Ok Computer

dubs confirm

HELLO HELLO

Thom would probably admit this himself. U2 had a huge influence on radiohead

Exit is such and underrated track, the guitar work here is God tier

youtube.com/watch?v=PkWPbarTgs0

True

Probably the most overhated classic album here

I just don't understand why Bono gets slated for actually being a good person

someone explain the Bono hate to me

haha :P

He's a virtue signaling douche with Messiah complex

He's a cunt

so I hear
I'm not denying it I just want examples

there aren't any desu

there great better than all others

U2 is overrated

good album imo, regardless of what you think of them now, U2 made some good music back in the day

Where's my fuckin' t-shirt? :P

Best song
youtube.com/watch?v=DHSL0Wvyf3k

It was the last U2 album I fully enjoyed.

there really aren't any, people just think hes a dick because he wears sunglasses(which he needs because of a condition) all the time

U2 were never good, but the old albums at least weren't as annoying.

This. Other musicians always say he's a nice guy

I think it's a great album. Especially for it's time. U2 has had a bad wrap in the past couple years because "much popular bands are shit". Same thing happened to Nirvana, Radiohead, and The Beatles, etc. but it eventually fades with time and people acknowledge how excellent those bands truly were.

I think the charity stuff is chill but he looks like a mid life crisis personified and u2 has been bad for like two decades

80s and 90s u2 were good imo

2000's U2 had some great songs too, and No Line on the Horizon was a fantastic album. Wish they had kept going in that direction. Their newest album is their first one I just can't find enjoyable, it's so overproduced.

Saw them on the 360 tour and it's still one of the best concerts I have ever seen. I've seen a lot of bands live, but that concert was incredible. I love this band, and I think they get way more hate than they deserve.

Blame South Park

south park said it

it's so fucking weird how much people hate U2 or Bono specifically but whenever you ask them why they just say something like "eh I don't like their music" or "he just annoys me". I'm positive if those people actually listened to the bands pre-2000 albums with an open mind their opinions would change completely

he lives his life with his millions of dollars then whinges at me all the bleeding time to give money to Africa

The first half of All That You Can't Leave Behind is great, even if the songs are super dadrock-y. Kite has not only Bono's best vocal performance but maybe one of the best vocal performances on a song of all time.
youtube.com/watch?v=nxd41pXaCzE
the song itself is just okay but his fucking singing blows me away
>I'm a MAAAAANN
I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons why he quit smoking in the late 90s was to be able to nail that delivery. And it's definitely not auto-tuned or whatever because if you watch live performances from that tour he still hits that note perfectly.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb fucking sucks, and I'm saying that as a U2 fan. Can't stand that album. No Line is good but I wish they didn't get cold feet about the Middle-Eastern influences on the sound and stuck a few generic pop/rock songs (like that one produced by fucking will.i.am) in the middle of the album that disrupts the flow completely, but at least they've admitted that was a mistake.

Songs of Innocence would have been much better received had they released it normally and not let Apple put it on everyones iTunes/iPhones. It's a really good album, and definitely their best work since the 90s, but people couldn't look past the way it was released so it got mediocre reviews. I still don't get why the band got the blame for that, it was 100% Apple's idea.

how is U2 having a poorly constructed tortilla relevant to them being unpopular?

do you have any examples of Bono "whinging" at you to give money to Africa?

Most rich celebrities do charity work. Bono's been doing it since literally the beginning of his career. Half the songs on The Joshua Tree are based on or were written during his experiences doing charity work in poor countries in Africa/South America

This is where I lost interest... yawn...

One of my favorite bands. Probably their 4th best.

Definitely the work for which they will be remembered most, and rightly so. Even though Achtung is technically their best album

Also Exit has a dark past.
"Exit" is a song by rock band U2. It is the tenth track on their 1987 album The Joshua Tree. "Exit" was developed from a lengthy jam that was recorded in a single take and edited down to a shorter arrangement. The lyrics, which portray the mind of a serial killer, were inspired by lead singer Bono's reading of Norman Mailer's 1980 novel The Executioner's Song, and other related works. In his trial for the murder of Rebecca Schaeffer, Robert John Bardo used "Exit" as part of his defence, claiming the song had influenced his actions.

The song is haunting.

(?)

this came on at work the other day and I was like "cot damn, I haven't heard this tune in probably 20 years."

was good.

so, yeah, I'm old af. Joshua Tree came out when I was in Jr High and it was still big when I started highschool and started gettin into music. Went and saw the Rattle and Hum movie with my mom when it came out that year. I wore my great-grandpa's old vest and his hunter green fedora with the ace of spades in the hatband. nobody wore fedoras then and there was no meme but yeah, it was pretty painful-looking, I'm certain. what a dork. and that movie was kinda stupid but I didn't care.

I still like War. Live Under A Blood Red Sky has a good selection of early hits and a good live record.

Have you guys heard the acapella version? youtube.com/watch?v=xqse3vYcnaU

not falling for that bullshit. Negativeland is NOT U2

welcome to 1991 bucko

boiiiiii

first three albums are good
unforgettable fire has some ok tracks, but that's where I get off the bus
joshua tree is shit

>tfw got to see them in Nashville 2011

They played The Wanderer, and Bono gave his guitar to a blind guy after pulling him on stage to play a song for his wife. My dad had been a fan of U2 since Boy but never had the opportunity to see them live, so I bought us both tickets and drove him to Nashville for that concert. It's still one of my favorite memories, what a hell of a concert.

U2 is legitimately one of my favorite bands, and Joshua Tree is probably my favorite album.

Joshua Tree > Zooropa > Achtung Baby > OST1 > Unforgettable Fire > NLotH > War > Songs of Innocence > Boy > Pop > Rattle & Hum > ATYCLB > October > HTDAAB

yfw I got to to see them live in the Las Vegas performance of the ZOOTV Outdoor Broadcast Stadium tour. The absolute best live performance I ever saw.

I'm super jealous, user. Would kill to get to have seen them during ZooTV.

Is anyone else going to the Joshua Tree tour? got my floor tickets for Vancouver, stoked af

What's the general opinion on The Unforgettable Fire? I just got a decent vinyl setup and I found an OG pressing in dads collection.

Dank af

It's wonderful, has a ton of lovely little textures. Soak it in, it's one of their best.

I wish I could afford to, but I've got other responsibilities and they're not playing anywhere remotely near me so it would be like a 2 day drive to get to the nearest concert and plane tickets would just be too expensive as well.

Is there an album that more prominently features slap back echo/delay?

The first Flock of Seagulls album maybe

Excellent, I had it on as background noise one day and it sounded pretty good but I'll have to lie down and actually listen to it.

Speaking of Unforgettable Fire, this is probably my favorite live version of Bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=_D6y9yYiJyI

>4:32 - 5:40
Fucking magnificent.

Good album.

Will Bono actually nail Red Hill Mining Town on the upcoming tour or will they drop it after a few shows?

Also, Pop is massively underrated. That was the last album where they really gave a shit.

Pride, A Sort of Homecoming and Bad are fantastic but it also has some filler like Elvis Presley and America which is their worst song

He couldn't nail it in 87, theyll drop it a few keys for sure