What's the first thing that comes into your head when you see someone with a huge vinyl collection?

What's the first thing that comes into your head when you see someone with a huge vinyl collection?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fW9NWHvv8fc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"some day"

sample digging

what a fucking homo

first thing i alway think is alllllll that music could be flac quality and still fit on one hard drive. 9 times outta 10 that collection is an extension of the owners penis. Just another trophy case like a huge bookshelp.

I have never had that experience

how will it burn

well memed

Disposable income and wasted space.

what constitutes "huge"?
I have over 600 records.

That they're old and that's just how they got music back then. My Dad has 300+ vinyl records and a good quarter of a wall taken up with CDs and he's only kind of insufferable.

vinyl is free warmth

flac is not the same

you will never have a true recreation of natural analogue with 1's and 0's or on/offs, at least not right now.

"This guy likes music, we'd probably get along"

probably a dj or something

'THINK YOU'RE FUCKING BETTER THAN ME? REEEEEEEEEEEEEE'

I like checking others' collections so I can find some things to listen to. It's a form of curation.

That might be true with old vinyl stuff, but these days they're all made from digital masters anyway, so the point is completely moot. You might as well put a filter over a FLAC file if you're just after the "warmth".

>but these days they're all made from digital masters anyway, so the point is completely moot.

Not necessarily. Digital file sources being in a much higher definition than your usual Red Book CD quality will sound great on vinyl, just as good as true analogs (now tape transfers to digital is another story).

The problem is, most labels just rip the CD and use it as a master.

If pure analog is what you're looking for, try before 1976 or 8. Since then, they've been using digital signals to cut lacquers

it is undeniably true with old vinyl.

and it is still true with new vinyl, the vinyl press will likely be a different master to a digital release for a start.

the digitisation process attempts to recreate the waveforms based upon sample and bit rate using binary code to recreate the sampling points.

digitization of these files will always look like jagged variations of square waves, dependent on the bit and sample size. analogue recordings have the ability to not be innately on and off, they will exhibit natural curves in the waves forms, especially when viewed through different hardware the displays waveforms.

putting a filter over a flac is by no means the same, you think you can bump up a low end of a track in incite warmth? they are not the same thing.

if you were sampling then these old vinyl would be incomparable to flac's.

>implying you can hear a difference even between 320k and regular ∼1k FLAC

poseur.

Yeah, I love waving my vinyl records around out on the streets for all to see

'That guy really likes collecting physical copies of music he likes'.

With a good setup yes you can.

>
digitization of these files will always look like jagged variations of square waves, dependent on the bit and sample size. analogue recordings have the ability to not be innately on and off, they will exhibit natural curves in the waves forms, especially when viewed through different hardware the displays waveforms.

That's one big lie they've been telling you. The "jagged square waves" are simply how the computer shows them, if you output it back to an analog waveform monitor, the wave will still be "smooth" like the original

t. buttmad poseur

Yeah, I'm seething with anger right about now. I am so angry.

Think of all the money they would've saved if they weren't retarded

I wouldn't be so concerned over money that isn't yours to spend

Yeah you've got a point regarding the difference between hi-res masters and CDs. But then again, bands are commonly releasing 24-bit FLACs nowadays. At least I've seen a lot of it on Bandcamp.
I'm not denying the point of vinyl anyway, I collect a lot myself.
I like having my old stuff on wax because nothing sounds like it. Dr. John sounds like shit on digital.
And I like my new stuff on vinyl because it looks good. Can't compare a .jpeg and an actual gatefold, and you're inherently more invested into the music.

The difference is pretty obvious if you're used to it. But then again 320kbps MP3 is pretty transparent, it's fine for people not to bother.

yeah you are

its ok

i will find out someday the truth of this but i dont believe you tbqh

I appreciate your concerns for my well being. That's very kind of you

It may appear that way but what he's saying is fundamentally not true. In mathematics this concept is called a discreet verses non discreet number.

Digital computers operate using discreet numbers, 0s and 1s. However an analogue signal is a non discreet amount of power. The voltage for example may read as 20wats, but that's only the limitation of the measurement device, it in reality is outputting something like 2.31093818391289391238912392138 WATS of electricity. Unless the digital wave could account for literally every single electron in the signal, it will never be as accurate as an analogue signal. Glad to clear that up for you.

i know its not true i just cant be bothered arguing so i thought i'd just let it lie as it was

but even this leads to an issue of an analogue signal being reduced down to a number of electrons, which is technically a discreet number. but this just goes to show what makes analogue and digital different.

Laugh because they wasted their money on "art" and not on things that are important in life (such as college tuition for your children)

Not gonna lie, envious

youtube.com/watch?v=fW9NWHvv8fc

Honestly makes me think of this.

>Living in a country where you have to save for college

>tfw you've spent maybe $20k on records over the years and your collection is worth $55k.

Alright man.

$55k is pretty useless if it's just sitting there doing nothing

woaooaaaah duuuuuuuuuuuude

ever consider some thing r worth more than money?

>physical media
>worth anything

I want a nice collection, though one where I can display the covers of the albums, not put together in a shelf where I can only read the damn names.

You could say the same thing about stock holdings

It's potential money that you can liquidate if need be, and he more than doubled his investment

Ur not very intelligent user

Most of the music sitting on vinyl hasn't even been uploaded online, so yes physical media has monetary value and it makes me happy to visit a nice record store and find a few happy little tunes.

''Pretentious fuck''

The whole point of a collection is that you keep it retard

the anons getting salty that others enjoy vinyl and can justify their investment through both profit margins and slef enjoyment deserve a slap

>not buying every record you can make a profit on, keeping the best pieces and flipping the rest for profit

literally what Antique dealers and antiquarian book dealers do you fuccboi

"wow, he's just like antony fantano"

"wow cool"

this guy fux

"I want this man's penis inside my vagina"

"I should make a thread about this on mu"

To the people trying to argue that it's useless to have $55k of vinyl at home; please stop.

The guy who compared it to stocks is partially right. Except it's like having a portfolio that you can enjoy comprised of art that means something to you.

If you're privy to when albums get repressed, or you sell off extra variants at peak times of hype, it can be a lucrative affair and fund future purchases. Or just pad your checking account. Whatever you'd prefer.

As I mentioned, I've been buying and collecting vinyl for a good bit of time. A lot of the shit I enjoyed in high school seems to go for high dollars these days. Back in 2012 or so, I had a part time job that would periodically cut hours down to 24 or 28 a week. If I wanted to treat myself, drive out of town for a show, or otherwise spend outside of my budget during those scarce hours, I'd sell something like a Brand New album on Discogs for $200 and breathe easier for a bit. And it's Brand New, so that's hardly any sweat off my nuts.

The only thing stopping me from having Discogs pay for the remainder of my 2017 off work is just a stack of mailers and maybe a few rolls of packaging tape. It isn't rocket science.

i hate people like you who sell records at $200 when i know for a fact that whatever you sold for that much, you bought for no more than $50
and i hate whoever bought it for spending that much money and enabling the blatant jewery that you're perpetuating. Fuck people like you. You should not be allowed to buy records.

If he didn't buy it with the intention of flipping it I don't see what the problem is. I've had so many records in my collection whose value has risen so much to the point where I'd rather have hundreds of dollars vs. an album I'll rarely play.

I bought the Bowie clear vinyl at Barnes and Noble a couple days before Bowie died for $30 and it currently sells for ~$300. Why the fuck shouldn't I sell it? With the profit I make I can just by the normal version and a bunch of other records.

Is the only morally right way to sell things in your mind to sell them for the prices you paid for? That's illogical. If fucking morons are willing to pay a fortune for a stupid limited edition record it's their fault.

yeah its their fault and yours for being such a kike about your records
trade is a two person deal. if nobody else sold their clear bullshit for $300 you wouldn't get away with it. Just let people buy vinyl man you could have just sold it for $25 more.

Generally anyone I have met that spends a lot on things like this is financially drowning

>Just let people buy vinyl man you could have just sold it for $25 more.
Then that person would probably have flipped it for $250.

$30+$25 is $55
I don't see how you're still defending your point

AAAA FRANKIE SINATRA

Your point is I should have sold a record valued at $300 for $55 just to be kind?

Eh, at least vinyl generally holds its value so it's not like you're completely throwing money away.

thats not being kind
That's being reasonable
Get your head out of your ass
Nobody should be selling it for $300

Not that guy but you seem to struggle to understand basic economy. Ethics notwithstanding, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Or do you not support a free market?

Your point is moot because he's been very clear that he's not buying records with the sole intention of profiteering.

are people actually getting mad about supply and demand

Yup.

This is just par for the course on discogs.

I prefer compact discs

ITT: oven-dodgers defend their insatiable thirst for sheckels

Yeah, some guaranteed pinko is literally trying to complain about the ethics of basic supply and demand because of the sale of rare or limited edition vinyls (Luxury goods) for prices people will pay.

This board man, sometimes.

don't see a problem
saw 5 copies of a $30 record going for 2 bucks each at a record fair, bought them all
so fucking what, i was there, other people were not there

Please take 20 seconds to temper your retardation and think about what you're saying. If you bought an original X-Men or Superman comic for a dime or whatever comics fetched back in the day, and kept it in pristine shape all the way through 2017, would you sell it for a dime knowing that it could probably cover the down payment on a nice car? Do you think anyone looks at a rare set of baseball cards and considers selling them to pay off a college degree, but ultimately decides to sell them at cost because it's "reasonable"? Fuck off back to whatever delusional fairyland you're living in.

Anything I've sold, I've sold on Discogs for median prices, or on Ebay as a $0.99 auction with no reserve. It's not my fault that colored Circa Survive vinyl goes for $100 to $300. Did I sell one Circa record to fund 10-20 albums that relevant to my current tastes? You bet your sweet ass I did. And I didn't lose a bit of sleep over it. Being aware of the value of things you own doesn't make you a Jew. I'd argue that it makes you considerably less retarded than you're suggesting everyone should be. I'm eager to see what other revelations you'll eventually discover in the real world. It can be scary out there, but don't let it intimidate you too badly or you'll miss out on the finer things in life.

You should also probably direct your salty butt-hurt at the people who buy limited presses in bulk and immediately flip them, or wait in line at RSD just to grab hot items to resell immediately. I've never done that and don't plan on it. For embarrassment or not, the shit I've sold has always been limited to one copy and revelant to my tastes in the past. (Usually WAY in the past.) Not that I need to defend savvy sales on fucking Sup Forums, but I really do implore you to go outside and discover how the real world operates.

suck on mummies titties kid you just got rekt kek

Oh man, that paragraoh must have taken a lot of effort dr. Shlomo. Need some Lox after all that hard work? Or maybe just sell all your 'mint condition' lox at a 600% price increase. But it's all good, because people who just want to fucking eat will pay that much.
I hope your nose doesn't block this analogy from reaching your head.

I would classify that as "pretty damn big".
In my opinion, "huge" is in the 1500+ range.
Gigantic is if it can't fit in a single room.

>being this upset about having no grasp of monetary value

>defending the niggers of white people
Oy vey

Hang on hang on dude. Voltage =/= Watts, Watts is straight up power while volts is a measure of the potential electrical energy between two points.

Right man that isn't quite how it works. Basically what happens is that a ADC (analogue to digital converter) scans the analogue file and samples it at regular intervals, say ever half a second (thought that would be a terrible rate). Now what this does is create that whole jagged square waveform thing. To essentially allow the digital software to read the file. Through a whole confusing and complex as fuck process that boils down to: certain bits are a 1 other bits are 0 (though WAY more complex). However, what you hear is not that square waveform at all. The signal has to be reformed through a DAC (digital to analogue converter) which basically does the ADC process in reverse. It samples and displays the waveform but is then run through a fancy as fuck filter that smooths it all out and makes it sound good and proper. Now of course real sample rates are fucking thousands of times a second they work very fast. So there are a lot of samples and the filter just smooths from point to point based on a set of variables you know, difference in points and all that. The reconstructed waveform will sound identical to the ear. All ideas of warmth and quality difference between FLAC and MP3 and all that. It's complete bollocks. Much like how AC electricity works, technically lights are flashing on and off 50/60 times a second. The little hiccups in the file are there, by a very loose definition analogue or FLAC is technically better. But there is no way in hell the human ear could sense it. No way at all. The warmth of a record comes from the hiss of it, which is accidental background noise because analgue is far from perfect. Scientifically, you'e talking out your arse mate.

You really know how to kekkle my shmeckle. The best is that I ain't even remotely Jewish.

I'm truly sorry you stuff taco shells and eat ramen to afford your music. Don't mind me and self-replenishing mass of records. Life won't always be so bad, kiddo.

>those digits
oy vey Abraham it seems you are correct. Let me call the village rabbi so he may bless these holy quints. It'll cost you $1000 though. I'm afraid that's what he charges, even though he only spent $200 to become a rabbi!

are you from somewhere where like, no jews at all live

I am a guy with a big vinyl collection.
So probably something like, "wonder if he's into trading?"

If you mean 'are you from the holy land, my brother?' The answer is no

no, was asking literally
you could be american, but miles away from civilization

I know a lot of Jews I just couldn't think of another group to throw under the bus
The Jewish stereotypes fit all the things I needed to accuse you of

different user, but ok, thanks for the feedback

Idk guys vinyl just isn't that fun to me these days anymore. 12-15 years ago, you could walk into a record store and walk out with 4 or 5 GREAT (not hidden gem thrift store bullshit) records for $20. These days you'll be lucky to find one of them in decent shape for $15-$20. The one example I always refer to is Talking Heads' Remain in Light. I saw so many fucking copies of that album for $5 and under in the 00s. In the past five years or so, I've only seen the original pressing about 3 times, going for $15-$20, and I go to a few record stores every week. It's the same situation for other popular albums, such as Neil Young's Harvest. On one hand, I guess it's nice pretty much everything is getting pressed and reissued on vinyl, but on the other hand, "digging for vinyl" isn't nearly as fun as it once was because used prices have risen so much.

how many copies of Remain In Light do you need though?

what would you think on someone who need several and expense tv, cars, a big house,¿¿
Righ, seek profesional help bro :S

Obvious Jew is obvious.

There are some places that sell used for reasonable prices
I just copped King Crimson - Red for $7 today

i'm full commie and while I think it's dumb that people will flip tapes and records for like 5x their cost, it's just the way it is, if people pay for it, that's what it costs.

It mostly annoys me in the DIY side of tapes, because an artists will make no money from releasing a tape and some dude will buy a few and flip them for $50 each. Especially in the noise scene.

jesus christ are you retarded? fucking monkey