Avant-garde delta blues?

>inb4 beefheart
yeah i know him i love his music, but i want to know if there's some kind of "avantgarde son house" for example

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/Loren-Mazzacane-Connors-Unaccompanied-Acoustic-Guitar-Improvisations-Vol-1-9-1979-1980/release/915206
youtube.com/watch?v=LstLpd_iVWA
youtu.be/mYALBzfY5QY
youtu.be/1-Taae2zLfA
youtu.be/x4KmbUCwkyE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

discogs.com/Loren-Mazzacane-Connors-Unaccompanied-Acoustic-Guitar-Improvisations-Vol-1-9-1979-1980/release/915206

Bill Orcutt
Jandek is my choice of poison personally

>Avant-garde delta blues?

What did he mean by this?

Presumably something pretentious

>something pretentious
What did he mean by this?

>avant-garde delta blues
kinda of redundant desu desu. a lot of those musicians were cutting edge in the 20s/30s

American Primitivism as a genre is pretty Avant Garde and fairly inspired by blues as well as other American folk. Maybe you should try John Fahey or Sandy Bull.

The Savage Young Taterbug is a folk artist who does some crazy tape stuff and often channels infernal gutteral blues ramblings. Maybe you should try the albums River Mortis or Syrupy Evenings.

No-Neck Blues Band

OP here, thanks for the recs anons

This is just tape music I don't think he recorded it himself but it's got blues stuff so idk I'm just doing my best
youtube.com/watch?v=LstLpd_iVWA

Exactly this. In my experience, people that are looking for "avant-garde" takes on American folk do so because they think it's the true spirit of "weird America" or whatever and, like, no, that's not how it works. All that shit is artificial at the end of the day, at least, that's how it seems to me.

Try actually listening to more obscure, outsider, blues and country artists like Hasil Adkins or RL Burnside sometime. I guarantee you, it's a lot more naturally weird and edgy than some "freak folk" bs

So bands aren't allowed to make experimental folk albums unless they were born in the 30's?

It's not so much that; it's more like a lot of the attempts to make "americana, but weird" tend to feel so forced to me and, again, artificial.

im glad omniscient arbiters of taste like yourself still exist to educate us, the mass of drooling plebian husk-shells

James Blood Ulmer's Tales of Captain Black and Freelancing

How's this?

Skip James - Hard Times Killing Floor Blues
youtu.be/mYALBzfY5QY

these are probably the closest to that description, especially bill orcutt

Check out Abner Jay and Joseph Spence if you want something that perhaps isn't "avant-garde" but still very unique approaches to the genre

>R.L. Burnside
>Obscure

>avant garde
>blues
Junior Kimbrough (because hsrdly any of his shit's recorded)
youtu.be/1-Taae2zLfA
...shades of Zeppelin?

Ry Cooder... self appointed caretaker of Americana in music. And a badass slide guitarist.
youtu.be/x4KmbUCwkyE

Is that avant garde??

derek bailey?

James Blood Ulmer

just stick to son house

Ry Cooder dropped out of Cpt. Beefheart's Magic Band because he thought that they were too werid. I doubt he would want to be considered avant-garde