Sup Forums covers David Bowie

Random user here kicking off a Bowie thread in Dong's absence.
Let us know where you're at, I want to hear this motherfucker finished ya'll.
Slap it into high gear.
After the success of our 50-song Beatles cover album, we're continuing our David Bowie project!

Beatles album:
>hangingdong.bandcamp.com/album/covers-the-beatles
>mega.nz/#!ilcBALAS!uuHiWZe9pcZhgEu2E1Z3nhX4fkhYxJfAMvfOaxCAczE
>youtube.com/watch?v=3C5g69o5X_I
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hanging-dong/covers-the-beatles/

After the clusterfuck that was the Beatles album, we are going to be using a different claiming method this time. Pick a song that you want to cover from the list below, and email me at [email protected] with a rough timescale for when you will be able to finish it. If you simply claim a song in the thread but don't email, it will be ignored. This is because dozens of people drifted into the Beatles claiming thread, claimed a song, and then vanished forever. When songs are finished, they should be sent via email, not posted in the thread. This keeps an element of mystery about the final product.

Submission rules can be found in the first reply

Last I heard was that the only unclaimed songs were Sweet Thing/ Candidate/ Sweet Thing Reprise.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/qhyw322p
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rules for submissions:

>IF YOU CAN'T SING, ASK SOMEONE ELSE IN THE THREAD TO! Really want to push for strong vocals throughout on this project, so don't feel like you have to sing on your track if you don't feel comfortable doing so. There are plenty of good singers on this board who can help you out.

>This is a fairly serious project, and there will be quality control. Harsh noise won't be accepted, because fuck that shit. Please don't make your covers memey, I know there were a few on the Beatles one like that but I want this one to be a bit more serious.

>Poor audio quality will be rejected. By that I mean something like heavy background fuzz, don't worry if your recording equipment is not professional standard. Just listen to the Beatles album for acceptable sound quality.
>Don't send me guerilla mail. I prefer if submissions are wav files but I don't mind converting them myself.

>It has to be an actual cover of the song, not just you saying "We can be heroes" into the mic once and then playing unrelated music you wrote yourself for 5 minutes. Reinterpretations are very welcome though, see Day Tripper or Paperback Writer from the Beatles album as examples.

>Collabs are also welcome, if you need someone to play bass or drums or whatever for you, just ask in the thread. People collaborated numerous times on the last album to great success.

I am going to try to finish Five Years by this weekend. I wanted to have it done ages ago but I have so much skoolwork and a group project but I have to do all the work because my group is too stupid to understand what we're doing

There is no 'try', only do.
Make it happen or I'll have to send round the butch lesbians.

I will deliver my rendition of The Laughing Gnome, I already submitted Jean Genie and I even submitted it first. I've been down lately so I'm asking to wait until next week if there's still no rush.
I can promise it will be done.

Been playing round with this little number, even though it was never selected to be part of this album I HAD to have a crack at covering it.
Still got to do guitar parts and figure out something for the chorus yet but I'll post where I'm at so far just to keep the hype going.
Let me know what you think.
clyp.it/qhyw322p

Love it!
Your voice is so weird lol but that's the reason I love it. It feels pretty finished? idk you do what you have to do, but I really like it, great job.
//Bumping for this man's track to be included, even though it wasn't in the list//

>our voice is so weird
Yeah, I'm not much of a singer tbqh. it's really done out necessity more than anything.
>feels pretty finished?
Gotta do the guitar solos, it wouldn't feel right without them, also the chorus's still feel a bit empty, but otherwise pretty close I think.
Thanks for the encouraging words user.

It's pretty good.

But why most of the cover I heard so far are almost identical to the original ?

would you mind posting some of the songs that are already finished?

I still haven't started working on my cover, just wrote down the harmony and the beats on Ableton as a draft.

How much more time do we have ?

>But why most of the cover I heard so far are almost identical to the original ?
Well that simply comes down to how the musician wants to interpret the cover, and what you can get away with artistically.. From my perspective, covering this track, I felt the syncopated rhythms through the verses were fundamental in keeping with the vibe of the original, as are the the straight down the middle drum patterns. Not to mention that bassline.
When you've got a perfect song laid out in front of you to pay tribute to, why would you go and fuck with it?

>When you've got a perfect song laid out in front of you to pay tribute to, why would you go and fuck with it?
Or on the contrary, why bother doing exactly the same thing when it will never be as good as the original.
Covers identical to the original always seemed useless to me.

But again, I'm not shitting on you, what I heard so far is good.

I cant play anything but would love to sing on anyone's track. Mostly the tracks without the high notes i cant hit those.

this is tight! what did effects did you use to get that sound on your guitar?

I'm hearing you fo sure. I just think there's a time and a place for going outside the box, and this time wasn't one of them, for me anyway.
They were tracked totally dry, then I just added some compression, a little bit of reverb, the all important delay then just an eq on the bottom of the chain with a HP filter. Fuck all really man.
It's the syncopated rhythms themselves that sound so fucking cool, with the two guitars panned hard L/R. So simple yet so effective.

Just looking back over the effects chain, it looks like I used a bit of overdrive on the gats also, just to add some saturation and help them cut.

I'm working on the Diamond Dogs cover, I'm not sure yet if I can do something good with it.
So, if I don't give up, maybe I'll need a singer.

DON'T LET ME HEAR YOU SAY LIFE'S TAKING YOU NOWHERE

Dong, will you make the album preview this time?

Yeah there will be an EP for sure if that's what you mean

Why haven't the latest theads included the track lists?

How are people supposed to get hyped if they don't know wich of their favourite tracks are about to get meme'd on?

really awesome dude, digging the vocals. Kind of sounds like Rodger Waters during the wall/ final cut.

Very good 2bh

Hyping hard my dudes

Top comfy my man.

I can lay down bass and guitar for Rebel Rebel if that is still needed.

I had no idea there were actually talented people on Sup Forums

Sons of the Silent Age is coming along nicely
haven't had much time to work on it this week, but it should be done soon