Rock is dead

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, as they have had no real cultural impact. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook or in the future remembering them the way you would a contemporary artist who actually has made a cultural impact (e.g. Beyonce, Kendrick, Kanye)
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Weezer only have one critically acclaimed album and it came out 23 years ago.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The 1975, Alt-J, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9g-WjoVt8iE
youtube.com/watch?v=0zq1y9nZO7Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So much cancer and misinformation.

This thread continues to be posted.
U2 - Zooropa - Less then 25 years old - Critically acclaimed - Still have the largest live tours.

Fugazi?
Rock will never die. Thanks to the internet, people are able to listen to various forms of rock. In terms of music scenes and musical movements, they are done. The internet has killed them. In terms of what is popular, that is up to people to decide. For instance, right now EDM and Hip hop are the main types of music that everyone fucks with. However, in ten years, people may fuck with something else.

I could see junk like Muse being played at a high school dance. Which is apparently the copypastas definition of "culturally relevant".

>artist who actually has made a cultural impact (e.g. Beyonce, Kendrick, Kanye)
>artist
>culture
>impact
LMAO what cultural impact did those """"artists"""" do?
>im a strong black wymyn
>im a pseudo intellectual street smart 2deep4u
>im a fucking hack and a literal aspie 3deep4u

NO ONE will remember those 3 in the next century. if you like hiphop so much at least use someone like tupac or something.

I mean....I can name bands this board hates just from the late 90s and onward

Slipknot
Linkin Park
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold

These bands are all loved by so called normies, play bigger shows than most of the bands people actually do like here, and get constant radio play

>Tupac
Fuck no, dude, ask any normal female and they will struggle to remember who Tupac even is, how is he supposed to be remembered in the next century if the current generation already forgot him? Kanye and Beyonce EVERYONE knows, literally EVERYONE, and not only that they've definitely heard some of their music and will recognize them if they saw them.

Kanye revolutionised contemporary hip-hop.
Kendrick made west coast hip-hop relevant again.
Beyoncé is just a great artist.

>post things that will prove me wrong except for the things that prove me wrong

>Kanye did hip-hop in a way I like during the current time period
>Kendrick did hip hop in a certain geographical area
>Beyonce is just great because I can't justify my opinions.

Also, Radiohead is totally rock, you don't see 12 year olds playing creep on synthesizers you see them playing it on guitar.

Tool, 1975, Coldplay, and Green Day all got critical acclaim for one or more of their albums.

My school played Flaming Lip's "Do You Realize" for my graduation commencement. Fuck you.

>You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance
>No Gene Simmons
You're doing it wrong

i don't see the cultural impact. maybe musical impact in a niche ethnic genre where the main appeal is black fetishism

You have to be an adult to post on this site

>critically acclaimed and culturally relevant.
>(((critically acclaimed)))

Deftones.

what the fuck am i even reading

Marilyn Manson, and no I'm not being ironic

nice pasta, you baited some faggots here but now this is a dubs thread

Oasis had no cultural impact? What the fuck are you smoking? They were literally huge in the UK.

The Stone Roses

Oasis, The Arctic Monkeys and Blur have cultural impact when you live in a proper country
Rock is dead in the US because they stopped producing good musicians
Oasis revived the Mod movement in Madchester for the millionth time yes, but people went mad for it
Whatever people say that's what I'm not, Identified with a whole generation that had no direction and a taste for parties

What you mean to say is cultural movements are dead in my country

Like them or not, Coldplay are both culturally relevant (tickets to their shows are massively overpriced and still sell like hotcakes) and critically acclaimed by any standard. I'd say "OP is retarded" but the reality is "OP is Roman and still hasn't gotten over getting doxxed"

boi wait a decade and see

>Beyoncé is just a great artist.
Haha no.

Beyonce might be a very marketable personality, but she's not a great artist.

King Crimson

>critically acclaimed

Faith No More. what did I win?

>last 20 years
>culturally relevant

Not again

They're still doing tours, senpai. In fact, they and Yes are QUITE relevant now, thanks to JoJo memes.

Nirvana, Radiohead, Ty Segall

Twenty One Pilots

>>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, as they have had no real cultural impact

Gonna push back a little on that and say that their music showed up in a ton of TV shows at the time. Half of those artists were on the soundtrack to shit like Laguna Beach and Skins and other teeny shows. They were very much relevant at the time, I remember my sister and her friends (who were cool-kid normies) listened to that shit all the time. I have a Strokes poster in my basement for god sakes (it's in my room actually but I'm a lil ashamed. i couldn't pick a Strokes song out of a hat but its a great poster)

The answer to this question is, what tv shows do you follow to, what movies do you watch, and where have they been getting their rock. I struggle to think of a single 2010s rock band that I'd consider marginally relevant and I haven't been looking very hard.

Animal Collective

Popular opinion was never relevant to the progression of arts and musical genres in the first place

>high school dance
This isn't an argument

My point exactly

Like, are you gonna say that these Soundcloud rappers aren't culturally relevant when millions of kids obsess over them? Sure they're not at the Grammys, but there's more than one kind of mainstream.

limp bizkit

Are you retarded or do you lie in a cave ?

Kanye:

One of the most interesting discography of the era. College Dropout completely changed hip hop, then comes 808 who influenced a lot of artists, then you MBDTF one of the most acclaimed album ever.
Not to mention his constant presence in the press for various things Georges Bush doesn't like black people, Swiftgate, Kim Kardashian. Celebrity level: Everyone knows Kanye West even if he acquired a large hate boner.

Kendrick Lamar

Again a solid discography. GKMC and TPAB were the most acclaimed albums of their year. Celebrity level: moderate. Known by everyone among the younger generation.
Look at the crowd chanting Alright'hook during protests.

Beyonce

Bitch are you serious ? Known since her destiny child days, she further advanced her career thanks to her star power, the rise of social media ("yaaas queen"), her publicised mariage to Jay-Z, etc. Also a solid discography and she is a great performer.
Celebrity level: to infinity and beyond

who fucking cares

>Vampire Weekend
>Tame Impala
>Bon Iver
>too niche

>Radiohead
>not a rock band

exquisite bait

Rock is like the Christianity of music. If it isn't the only thing that exists and gets attention, people act like its dead and get angry.

>Vampire Weekend
>Tame Impala
>Bon Iver
>too niche

Except he's right.

>t. doesn't go outside their mother's basement and has no idea what's culturally relevant
(You)

The truth hurts.

Stay ignorant retard

>listening to rock

this
Critically acclaimed (see White Pony) and culturally relevant due to the nu-metal scene of the late 90s/early 00s

Eagles do not fly with pigeons.

Stay salty nerd.

How about the fuckin' guy who produced his first three (and best) albums? Ya know, Trent Reznor. I'd say Nine Inch Nails. They're great live and he isn't afraid to do whatever he wants.

Really though, who gives a fuck about their favorite bands being critically acclaimed? Beyonce has critical acclaim but her music is generic and bland as fuck only to be carried by her personality. Cultural trends come and go and even come back again, they are always changing and shit people thought was cool 2 years ago is considered lame or out of touch today. Rock may be out of style for the kids these days but that could all change with just a single song by a single band and then the flood gates will be unleashed with all their clones and copycats to sterilize their iconic style like what always happens.

>people keep bumping this awful thread

>Tame Impala is too niche to be considered culturally relevant

I'm gonna take the b8 because that statement right there makes you look more like a retard than what you actually were by posting this shit pasta

Julian Casablancas + The Voidz

youtu.be/9g-WjoVt8iE

music has no baring on culture anymore you dumbfuck

neither do movies

we are in a cultural wasteland

The human race is dead. the only thing that are culturally relevant anymore: pandemics, nuclear detonations, school and work place shootings, genocide, machine learning algorithms. The true music of our age is the endless clanging of machines, the deafening pulse of artillery and nothing more

QUINTS CONFIRM

OP posts this every day. who gives a shit about this thread at this point

Cheked

Wrong actually

Ween

this is such a shitty thread.

Why does it have to be critically acclaimed?

Beyonce is barely even an artist

go back to pitchfork

popular does not equal good, you are arguing rock is dead because it's not as popular as said artists

you are retarded

paul's boutique

Kekt, couldn't've said it better myself

The Black Keys are critically acclaimed to the "unwashed masses" you talk about

Coldplay

Underrated GET

Ok so Brand New is definitely critically acclaimed and had a huge cultural impact. also, every indie kid wants to be Mac DeMarco

Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is under no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favor and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?

'critical acclaim' doesn't mean shit. Go back to 1970 & look at the reviews for Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath's music

because people love mediocrity and absolute failure

Yep, and they were absolutely correct. Metal is an objectively shit genre, excepting Paranoid.
That said, though, critics also hated prog, which was just shit taste on their part.

Wimp detected

The White Stripes

plain old rock has always sucked. It's like metal for children

>Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
I was wondering how you were going to handle those two, and then you just gave up.

And, of course, Donald Trump.

Metallica
Slayer
Pretty much everyone was bumping their tunes back then

Sunn O)))

Black Sabbath?

>critically acclaimed
By whom? This is important.
>some mainstream media?
For 20 years they were not critically acclaimed at all. Only in 90s they started to get recognition for the work they've done when it comes to Rock music.
>nameless user in Sup Forums
Who cares?

>culturally relevant
Everyone knows already "no Black Sabbath no Heavy metal" and all that jazz.

Mayhem

>played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies
they have nothing to do with culture

The Verve
Elbow

>Peppers and Green Day are both critically acclaimed for sure, and culturally relevant. >Weezer would work, given their greater albums came out a while ago, doesn't mean they can't still be culturally relevant.
>Rage Against The Machine and U2 are true answers to your question.

Besides that, I don't know why a band has to be critically acclaimed to be culturally relevant. blink-182 is the perfect example. Gave way to so many good bands, and they're a household name really.

Radiohead is not a rock band?

explain this

Who gives a shit if bands are critically acclaimed? And culturally relevant? What a load of psychobabble shite.

There are plenty of rock bands that sell out tours, people like listening to, and people enjoy going to see on both large and small scales. If people enjoy it then who cares? I don't like rap but I don't go around shitposting saying it is pointless or proclaiming how much I hate it.

Why can't autists just let other people enjoy things they might not like?

look Sup Forums he posted it AGAIN

youtube.com/watch?v=0zq1y9nZO7Q

hey i know let do a QUIZZZZZZZZZZZZ

But Modest Mouse inspired thousands of shitty indie bands (none of which are even remotely good)

I think this is the second time I've seen this thread. New image, but literally word for word
This is pathetic Sup Forums

REALLY MAKES YOU THINK

Go to hell troll

>Oasis not culturally relevant.
>Oasis got Tony Blair elected
>Tony Blair takes Britain into Iraq
>Hundreds die
>Liam admits he was off his face when he endorsed Blair

(Nice Meme)