You know, 2 years onward, it's fair and probably correct to say this is the best Rap album of all time

You know, 2 years onward, it's fair and probably correct to say this is the best Rap album of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwDaFdVd8U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

biggest fucking meme album of all time

lmao black lives matter
lmao woke
lmao white boys like this for cultural diversity

it's fucking shit, you hipster faggots

please return to containment board

>lmao black lives matter
Tell me exactly where it brings that up in the album if you've listened to it.

Wesley's Theory is a cool song

Good rebuttal, my man

best rap album of the decade definitely so far. Late Registration and Illmatic might be better though on an all time scale

It's alright but it won't be relevant outside of this political climate. Or at the very least, the context of modern life.

You can't even listen to the musical content?
It's arguably more a personal story, a Bildungsroman than a political piece.

>2015 was 2 years ago
kill me

Unlike the fucking Sup Forums idiots and meme spewers I just listen to the sounds going into my ears and decide based on that.

I agree with you OP. I've feel I've heard almost every rap record since 1987 and honestly Pimp a Butterfly is the best one made. It's not my favorite, but I'm sure it's the best, and only time will confirm this.

Upset
Mad
Angry
Bothered

Institutionalized still blows me away everytime

Nice job ignoring my request/question there, friend.

best rap album about race politics? Fuck yes
Best rap album of all time? you cray. Piece of shit production

The production is great for the most part, there are only minor blemishes like the effects in Wesley's Theory.

Only hip-hop album to even approach Butterfly's production quality is MBDTF, but even that is a little overcompressed.

And MBDTF is not as consistent or as tightly and singularly composed.

The most impressive thing about TPAB for me is how Kendrick forms multiple parallel narratives/arcs throughout the whole album. It feels steady and continuous but not forced. It's easier to do it when it's a concrete story like on GKMC, but here it's that and also more. I'm really curious on how he will manage to continue this practice on the next record.

I agree, Butterfly is the superior album. But those are the 2 best rap records of our lifetimes, I'm sure of it.

Who /preferred untitled unmastered/ ?

yo

To be honest all of you faggots are wrong every time

are you bait

Better in every way

A mixtape, but also better.

It's almost like y'all can't find any good hip hop

>i started listening to hip hop because of p4k

I have a lot of issues with it, but I can respect that it resonated with a lot of people and that it reflected a lot of what was going on when it was released. It'll definitely be remembered as a landmark in hip hop music.

Its just too bad that the provocative characters he portrays are what most people try and focus their """criticism""" on, because there's a lot more valid criticism to be made.

MY NIGGA

kinda I guess i mean the entire idea of an objectively best rap album is a weird one to me given that once you get to the highest level you could debate paid in full and Illmatic for years so it's kinda hard to pin down to a single record but I'm not sure if TPAB qualifies for the discussion of best rap record of all time

Paid in Full aged terribly. Illmatic however is still incredible.

the only good song is "i"

the reason Illmatic is so well regarded is that it revived the east coast but Rakim arguably revived rap it was becoming stale many people were turning to more sonically experimental artists but Rakim changed the game lyrically speaking

Good album, but MBDTF, Enter the Wu Tang, and Illmatic are all better albums.

nah actually they say Biggie is the one who revived the east coast scene. and Illmatic is overrated anyways

No, the reason why Illmatic is so highly regarded is because it's really fucking good. New York Rap politics from the 90s doesn't really matter to a listener in 2017.

actually if it weren't for nas then biggie would not have had his meteoric rise to fame
it is amazing but the question was should paid in full and Illmatic be argued for the best and i say they should

Genuinely curious why anyone likes TPaB better than Good Kid MAAD City

actually you are talking about puffy

People like different things :^)

Paid in Full can't be the best because it's not 1990 right now. So much work has surpassed it. It's like saying Buddy Holly made the best rock. Hip-Hop was very nascent in the 80s. The only masterpiece of 80s rap which still holds up as a masterpiece is Paul's Boutique

Deserved that one, I guess

it depends on how you define real hip hop vs a lot of the super whack POP shit that is out today that borders the line between r&b, edm etc etc

I think Butterfly is better, but I mean I still think Good Kid is a 9.5/10. I guess Butterfly just sounds like nothing else. Good Kid was a little more "normal" even though it was pretty out there for top40 rap. I've listened to a lot of hip-hop and Butterfly was so new and different. Nothing since has even approached it.

This

I bet you feel real dumb rn

>it depends on how you define real hip hop
This is just muddling the issue. Genres aren't lines drawn in the sand that you can't step over. Genres evolve and explore, and the genre has come a LONG way since Paid in Full. Just like rock has come a long way since Buddy Holly.

Butterfly is like Sinatra recording an album of standards. Hard not to like, hard not to rate, hard to hate because it sounds like everything else at once through a Kendrick Lamar filter

no you have to draw lines and have some set of standards or else there is no honest discussion but a bunch of bullshit opinions. Rihanna is called a hip hop artist but would you recognize her as such? if so then she is one of the best selling hip hoppers of all time

tpab is a message
gkmc is gangster beats

no p diddy was his manager I'm saying... oh god I fell for the obvious bait

Come on lad. There's a big fucking difference between calling Drake rap and calling Rihanna rap and you know it.

King Kunta thought it was a lot funkier than it actually was.

I feel that is a dismissive attitude I mean that's like saying that in 10 years time nothing from the 90's will hold up yes hip-hop is an evolving form but not to the extent where its unrecognizable 30 years in the future

Listening right now, this is v/ good.

fpbp

I've been beaten

Its the Invisible Man of hip hop, using the current state of racial politics as a backdrop and framing device for a story that's actually much more personal

that's what I am saying I am all for the genre evolving and experimental stuff but there has to be a division between what is "real hip hop" and what is commercialized pop hop. the same thing happened to rock n roll and every other genre to be fair
I am unironically saying that Nas had nothing to do with Biggie's success. Biggie's talent had a lot to do with Biggie's rise to success

Yeah the self referential (?) nature of the narratives is astonishing, as well as the maturity of the lyrics. Kendrick really knocked this record out of the park with the writing, not just the individual bars which are awesome in there own right, but with the overall completeness and unity of the album. I'd mention the production but words don't do it justice. Listened to the record again this morning. Few records are this fulfilling

desu i think T.P.A.B is like a half-court shot on the to win a car

It's not an issue of 10 years, it's an issue of the nascent state of the genre. Consider rock in the 50s. All that stuff is fine, but what came in the 60s and 70s dumps on it, and is still beloved 40+ years later.

Rock in 50s is exactly like Hip-Hop in the 80s. It was totally new and trying to find its footing. The 90s for rap is like the 60s for rock. That stuff is STILL great because of how it learned form and improved on its roots.
I think people overly concerned about what is "real" and what is "legitimate" should be more concerned about listening to the music and deciding for themselves. It's only sounds going into your ears.

oh, right then I guess it's a context thing none is questioning biggie I'm just saying nas paved the way for east coast gangster rappers to be taken seriously. ready to die was a debut album on an independent label, by all means, it should have been a minor success due to its lack of marketing but nas brought the focus into the line of thinking biggies so perfectly articulated

>should be more concerned about listening to the music
nah I am more about set claiming and beefing over petty shit

>Piece of shit production
Either you hate jazz and funk or you are baiting.

Do your thing man

>nas paved the way
36 chambers came out before Illmatic

that's a great point but the beastie boys Dmx and slick rick all still hold up today and they were 80's boys I'm not arguing that paid in full holds up perfectly I'm arguing that it was important enough and an amazing record to be talked about as a legendary record

And that was heavily inspired by battle rap.

You can't really trace a lot of hip hop movements back to a specific album or whatever, so much of it was just the culture of creating and sharing songs and verses and beats.

true and Wu-Tang ain't nothing to fuck with but the east coast west rivalry was dominated by the west until nas.

There are great 80s albums that are still great. Off the top of my head, Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Beastie Boys, De La Soul. But it's not that much music when you consider hip-hop was a thing throughout the 80s. I mean compare four year periods of 86-90 to 91-95. It's not even close. There's a certain charm to golden age hip-hop and I do like it a lot, but the genre as a whole wasn't there yet and cherry picking a few classic albums doesn't change that.

I agree with you in that Paid in Full is classic in the sense that it's highly influential. But I think by the time Illmatic came out it was a relic and Nas was the new example.

>responding in caveman one word grunts
i'm about ready to gut myself at the quality of Sup Forums now

I am not saying Nas is bad at all because I really do like him.. I just don't feel him like all that. I have listened to Illmatic in its entirety and One Love is a classic jammer of course (even the Elzhi remix too).. I just don't think Illmatic has that replay-ability that a lot of people say. But it's all love baby

>I just don't think Illmatic has that replay-ability that a lot of people say.
Highly questionable opinion but I'll let it go.

fair point I personally don't love Illmatic its fun but a lot of the songs blend together but it's just understanding historical context is important. much love

Have you read along with all the lyrics?

is that what you are supposed to do? if you listen to as much hip hop as I have you start to see a similar theme.. crack epidemic.. secion8.. hustlin'.. dope beats

I just don't fanboy for Nas the same way you do. I fanboy for other dudes though. Funny that this is a Kenrick thread and nobody is really talking about him. what does that say?

This album wishes it was Aquemini.

Lyricism is important, user.

True. I wouldn't rank Nas in my top 5 lyricists

I'm curious to hear your top 5 lyricists.

Eminem
OutKast
Kanye
Drake
Earl Sweatshirt

>Outkast
He's my favourite rapper.

I knew I would have to back that up lol so I started thinking quickly. there is sooo much hip hop out there and so much of it is good but if I was to choose my top 5..

in no certain order:
krs-one
mos def
slug
o.d.b.
[spoiler]MF DOOM[/spoiler]

Bad post my guy

Nigga, his ep is better than that crap

woops

you absolute fucking retard! go ahead and dickride Kendrick when there are obviously better albums in the underground, before and after that album.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwDaFdVd8U

There are no GOOD rap lps that are not Moonman

muh white genocide

Not even the best Kendrick album

Take the untitled unmastered pill

>not caring about BLM

>unironically supporting BLM

If dubs or above, Kenny will release the instrumentals to TPAB.

Okay.

> tfw feel overload listening to the song 'u'
What are some other rap/hip-hop songs about depression/suicide?

Suicidal Thoughts by Biggie. Not as good as u though

Bait.