Drums general

where my drummers at?
>what gear you playin?
>what music you jammin?
>how bad are the blisters on your hands right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-287137122/sets/johhny-died-of-typhoid-demos
youtube.com/watch?v=qwQLk7NcpO4
youtube.com/watch?v=pwyO1qr0edI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

havent drummed in nearly a year and miss that shit bad. I used to be half decent

No point in making this thread. Drums are too hard for a typical Sup Forumstant

I sliced my hand open in work so I cant play

hold me bros

The blisters are fine cause after the same ones form over and over again they just become calluses. Gloves really help with that.

>what gear you playin'
Had to sell everything when moving, was going through a tough time financially...hold me
>what music you jammin
I usually just did my own stuff, some squarepusher type stuff. And with my old band we just played original rock tunes, nothing fancy I mean every so often there'd be a song with a few time changes but thats about it.
>how bad are the blisters on your hand
I've been playing waaaay too long for that to be a thing

>Had to sell everything when moving, was going through a tough time financially

Shit that sucks, I cant play too much because of my neighbours so its a bit similar

thats a real nice kit you got there user. hope your hand heals soon.

I'm OP and while I cant currently show you guys a pic of my kit I'll give you a quick rundown on what I play

>acoustic kit
>Tama drums
>12" rack tom
>16" floor tom
>14" snare
>22"bass
>Sabian AAX cymbals
>14" hihat
>16" crash
>18" crash
>21" ride

>electric drums for practice and demo recording
>Roland TD4KPS

>5A or 5B sticks with nylon tips

I used to be in a hand drumming ensemble although I played the dunun so that's technically a stick drum

I play keys though

I have permanent calluses on my hands from drumming
they don't break open and bleed anymore since I've been at it for 11 years but back in the day my sticks would be stained in blood

care to post anything you've been working on?

OP.
primarily drum set thread but hand percussion is ok too I guess

>drum machines not allowed

my favorite hand drums are the djembe and the cajon

i too play a mean djembe, user

I have some demos from my last band that unfortunately just broke up on my desktop

give me a few minutes and I'll upload them somewhere I can link to you guys

I played congas for a Christian worship band led by my friends dad once

not because Im super Christian, I just thought it would be cool to have the chance to play congas

don't let me down senpai

don't worry user-Kun I gotchu
hope you're into punk rock with a hint of country added to the mix

I'm thinking of buying a nice electronic kit for practicing since I dont want to annoy the neighbours. Is €3000 going full retard?
Its mainly for other people benefit at the end of the day.

absolutely

nice chamberlin tom setup

electric kits are terrible

rent out a practice space. also fuck other people.

had to use a converter since Im stupid American

>3000 euros = $3202.07

I wouldn't say thats full retard. my ekit was one of Roland's entry level sets. $700 or 655.93 euros. so you're looking at better than what I've got.

as long as you can afford it and you are sure you will like playing drums, get the best you can afford man.

sheeeit you got me senpai
Jimmy is my favourite drummer, but I find his setup to have great versatility for my style. Its nice having a floor tom right beside the snare sometimes.
I was thinking about going with a 'Bonham' one rack tom setup and puttting the ride much closer but I think the current system works for me better.

went to a drum clinic put on by Jimmy Chamberlin at the local music store once. bretty gud.

OP here
been postan on phone but I just got home and now I have my desktop PC
where should I upload my songs?
soundcloud?

This year I might inherit my own house or if not be stuck renting forever. So I am in two minds what my future strategy should be.
I already have a roland TD-3 but it is pure ass and the solid rubber pads actually fucked my shoulder up from practicing, pretty sure the lack of bounce had a bad effect on my shoulder so I thinking a full mesh head kit would be better.
The place I live is too primitive for practice spaces and I dont want to be an asshole to other people who have to work shitty factory shifts, since thats what I do as well as most people around here.

clyp is good too

I'll give clyp a go

uploading momentarily

what country sir?

Ireland

The only good music gigs that actually pay here currently are country bands

clyp not supporting the file type

trying soundcloud

what is considered country music in Ireland?

uploading noww
links soon

Its a really shitty bastardized version of 1950's American culture, this is actually crazily popular with young people here these days.

In drum terms, it consists of a backbeat snare click or the "railroad" beat (constant 1/16ths on the snare with offbeat accents) done with brushes

here you go motherfuckers

soundcloud.com/user-287137122/sets/johhny-died-of-typhoid-demos

band was called Johhny Died of Typhoid (R.I.P)

I was the drummer

ah.
I wasn't sure f it was like the plastic paddy tryhard "traditional Irish music influenced" bands that we have in America like Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys and their various imitators

>tfw drummer generals are more popular than violin generals
no violin general pass the first post nowaday ;_;

You need to take that bass player round the back of the woodshed bruh, he only came into time when you started playing. Your drumming is good and solid and a credit to the band, really keeping them solid.

hah, no way you listened to all three songs that fast.

but yes, the singer on "Schopenhauer" is the bass player and he is primarily a drummer but since I was drumming he had to go to bass.

On on the second song now and the bass has improved a lot

a bass-drum mismatch is like a slap in the face to me

but thank you for the compliment

long story short about the band
>we recorded these demos, had a few other unrecorded songs, and played 3 shows
>then guitarist moved away because his wife got some big promotion at work and that was the end of the band

sad cuz I liked the band a lot

well the way recorded it was in bass player's basement studio

bass and guitar in one room, me on drums in another room looking at them through a plexiglass window

then vocals overdubbed later

that's really solid, singer detracts and i agree the bass player is fucking up, but nice work

Thats sucks man.
Well, its enjoying the actual moment that is most important with a band, so many projects are lost just like tears in the rain
I've been in great bands before that got fucked up because of drugs so many times.

which singer there was two
I liked their vocals but maybe I'm biased cuz they;re my friends

but no I posted it for you to hear my drums. THIS IS ABOUT ME! MY DRUMS!

haha jk but I'm glad you guys dont think I suck

to be honest I haven't listened to these songs for awhile and it's kind of giving me the feels cuz I miss the band :(

working on a new project now with a different guitarist but no recordings to share yet

been there too, with the drug shit

band before this one, I was playing guitar and singing, just for a change of pace from being just a drummer. and the other guitarist got too fucked up on MDMA and it fell apart.

it's ok though, I'm definitely a better drummer than guitarist. on guitar I can only play rhythm guitar

I play guitar too, like you said I'm mainly a rhythm guitarist since I couldn't be botherted learning music theory. As it happens being able to play drums makes you 75% of a natural bass guitaist.

I started on drums at 15 now I'm 25 almost 26
started dabbling in guitar and bass at 16 or 17
but drums will always be my main instrument
and I'm self taught at all of them too

Same as you man I mainly play the drums and the others are an extension of it, all self-taught. I think being able to play the drums gives you a good heads up on other instruments since you already understand rhythm unlike a lot of guitarists. In the near future I hope to get my own project going since I can already play those. Going to learn the keyboard and banjo now

too many people pick up guitar or want to be a singer in a band and have no fucking idea that the rhythm section holds the whole thing together

A bass player with rhythm is worth their weight in gold. The most sickening thing about playing with a new guitarist is a guy who cant get tempo and play off of the rhythm section.

Been putting my first kit together
I got an old Pearl BLX 4-piece from a recording studio nearby.
Sounds great even with bad heads but it's pretty beat up, nothing I can't restore and clean up though. Will probably replace the 13'' tom with a 10'' at some point.
Also got an Acro off Ebay, was a real pain in the ass finding one in the UK.
Now just looking for a hi-hat and ride as well as hardware obviously, maybe a crash if I can afford it.
Not really sure what to look for in hat hardware since I'm new to drums, don't want to buy some cheap shit that barely works, any advice or recommendations?

and you, know it goes for any instrument
every instrument has its place in the band.

too many try to overplay and show off how badass of a guitarist/bassist/drummer/singer they are, and it detracts from the overall sound of the band. it's a team effort.

it doesn't matter how crazy of licks you can play, your job being in a band is to complement the other parts of the band without overstepping your boundaries.

I'd rather see a drummer playing a solid fucking 4/4 backbeat than some wanker showing off how fast he can double-bass

is it true that drums are for tone-deaf cavemen who don't have the dexterity to play a stringed instrument or keybed?

hi-hat hardware? the stand?
make sure the pedal moves the cymbal when you press your foot down and when you let go it moves up. and make sure the clutch holding the top cymbal up isn't going to come loose.

don't just buy the cheapest shit you can find. you don't have to spend a fortune, but you want to buy hardware that is reliable.

no but it is true that you are a cunt who needs to GTFO this drum thread

maybe if you exclusively listen to metal

Well I think your stuff in those demos was really tasteful and on point. My main influences in drums have always emphasized playing whats appropriate for the music and thats something I live by. I've always felt the drummer was a supporter to add to whats there or what could be there, not to wank all over the track.

Tama hi-hats are pretty good

thank you so much for the kind words man. it means a lot to me. I'm glad you dig it.

and I agree, I use a Tama hi-hat stand and I've never had a problem with it. Gibraltar makes good stuff too.

sooo what kind of sticks does everyone use?

right now I have Pro-Mark 5A oak nylon tip sticks in my stick bag.

brand doesn't matter so much as do you like thin or thicc sticks? and wood tip or nylon?

I love pro-mark 5 a's, I have some pairs that have lasted 5-10 years without breaking due to dat hickory. Never been a fan of nylon desu, it gives a very different sound on the ride cymbal

personally I like the brighter sound nylon tips give on the cymbals

I'm a fan of hitting the bell of the ride

only problem is sometimes you get sticks where the tip didn't get glued on right and it falls off

and usually for practicing I get cheaper practice sticks because where I'm at, they're $12 a pair

Wood tips disintegrate very fast so nylon is better that way

>5-10 years without breaking

o.O
I must be a heavy hitter compared to you
usually my sticks chip away in the middle of the stick from hitting the rim of the snare drum until they fall apart

when I first started I tried thicccc 2B sticks but then I tried a thinner stick and it felt so much better

Vic Firth 5B wood tips are my go to sticks, but I switch it up sometimes.

>personally I like the brighter sound nylon tips give on the cymbals
Me too, every now and then I play with a nylon tip in my right hand (typically my ride and hi-hats hand) and a wood tip in the left because of that.

>I'm a fan of hitting the bell of the ride
Same, I do that a lot in my playing, but I usually hit the bell with the shoulder of the stick so the tip doesn't matter so much then.

More than you can afford pal. CARBON FIBER

Some sticks are made with the grain and some of them have shitty grain depending on the finish. I've had some that have broken in 30 minutes due to too much softwood in the stick, and then others which have never decayed after years of playing despite being made at the same time.

I hit pretty hard at times but I've learned a new technique which breaks sticks instead of cymbals, much cheaper that way

do you ever do the thing where you hit the bow of the ride with the tip and then hit the bell with the shaft and then the bow and then the bell and so on? idk if that makes sense
enjoy breaking your cymbals

the thing is to hit crash/china/splash cymbals with a glancing blow, and not right on the edge. with sort of a twisting motion of the wrist.

those are the most likely cymbals to break. if you're breaking hihats or ride you are doing it totally wrong

too dumb to use internet duh
"cb drums"
>music
only really on the palm side of my knucles, not that

It took me time to learn this, I once broke a very expensive hi-hat and was so sickened I didnt play for years. I know now though.
Recently I managed to sell all my broken cymbals to an Indian dude who wanted them for practicing and was a an extreme cheapskate, so I was able to egt rid of that literal scrap metal

7A, nylons.

Real drummers buy new cymbals every 2 years. Yeah they break all the time, so what? Maybe you should try playing with more energy. More heart. More blood.

>not building a trash cymbal

>CB drums
shit brand, but the good news is with decent heads (Remo, Aquarian, Evans) and the right tuning you can make pretty much make any shells sound decent. cymbals on the other hand... cheap cymbals will always be shit. B20 bronze is the only way to go for good cymbal sound.
I've only broken crashes and a china before. but I learned to use proper cymbal hitting technique and havent broken any since.
ahh. thin and jazzy. nice!

my snare's surface is 50% blood and i've only broken cymbals that were broken when i got them.

>real drummers who have $1000+ to blow on cymbals every 2 years buy new cymbals every 2 years

>yeah they break so what

so what? so some of us don't have unlimited money. and you can play with energy without breaking your $200 crash cymbal.

>not having incredibly cheap indian people to buy your literal shit off you and free up your house

>my snare's surface is 50% blood

it doesn't have to be like this
technique is important my friend

it only took a few busted open fingers. haven't done it in at least a year.

what was the issue?
were you hitting your fingers on the rim of the snare?

kinda, it was a nut rather than the rim that did the most damage. the wound was always very square.
also sliced my hand on my ride once, no fuckin clue how that worked.

>what was the issue?
meat to mention it was that i kept hitting my snare out of place with my knee

Dude I'm like that guy from The Who who always breaks his guitar. Except I don't break guitars I break drum sets. Well I actually smashed my former guitarists guitar because fuck that guy, but that is besides the point.

I don't get how people are breaking cymbals and bleeding out of their hands. The only cymbals I've broken were my original ones, which were copper hi hats I used for a ride, and the crash which I smashed so hard it warped. Broke through my snare a few times when doing "blast beats" as soon as I started playing.
You gotta know your cymbals, boys. Glance off your crashes, don't smash them directly, don't crash your ride if it's too heavy, lightly hit your open hats. Not hard. If it breaks with perfect technique you set your cymbal either
>too tight
>too slanted
>not slanted enough

I use those big vic firth metal sticks with the red nylon tips, and then promark tx7an nylons. Not a big fan of wood tips, not a big fan of non oval shaped tips. I go through a lot, but it's mostly the tips falling off, I've noticed that wood ones don't break at the tip very often, but instead, they chip off little by little, making them sound atrocious.

setup is
>mapex armory 6 piece
>acrolite and tomahawk snare
>meinl byzance dark ride
>sabian b8 ride as a crash
>meinl hcs hats
>wuhan splash
All I want is the meinl sand hats and a 18-20 inch crash and I'm golden.

I'd hate to be in a band with you to be honest, if that is your attitude towards expensive musical instruments
yeah I get it ROCKNROLL DUDE BREAK YOUR SHIT AT THE END OF THE SONG WOOO
but no fuck that. and if you try to touch my equipment I will kick your ass. I will shove my sticks up your ass and then poke out your eyes with the shit-encrusted sticks. capice?

that's pretty dumb because certain hand hammered cymbals (read: expensive ones) sound similar but never the same. I lucked out with my cymbals, I'd kill myself if I just broke one being a retard.

>I actually smashed my former guitarists guitar
kill yourself

>guitarists, bassists, or singers putting a foot on your bass drum, or even worse, jumping off of your bass drum

I will stop the song and kick your ass.

What are some cool grooves to learn?

what AREN'T cool groves to learn?
but if you want one to learn.

do you know how to play the Amen break?
youtube.com/watch?v=qwQLk7NcpO4

>do you ever do the thing where you hit the bow of the ride with the tip and then hit the bell with the shaft and then the bow and then the bell and so on? idk if that makes sense
Yeah, it's a fun trick and builds dexterity. I don't necessarily incorporate it that often though.

Other than transportation the quickest way to break your cymbals is by screwing them on too tight or WAY too loose. I've seen lots of beginner drummers do that.

The only way I've broken cymbals is through deterioration over a long time. Just a month ago I finally broke a crash I've had for 12 years. A bit finally chipped off the edge. I'm still playing it because at this point I just want to see it disintegrate.

another cool groove, harder this time, actually really hard, one I have trouble with myself.

the Rosanna half-time shuffle.
youtube.com/watch?v=pwyO1qr0edI

I didn't know that even had a name, but yeah I can play it. I've been learning the halftime/purdie shuffle for a few days, not sure what else to learn desu.

You guys act like I did it just because. No fuck that guy he has broken my shit (without so much as an apology), stolen my drugs and money, and is the kinda guy who will talk shit about another bandmate with me, then when he's with that bandmate hell talk shit about me.

It was a shitty guitar anyway, his cheapest guitar that he just left here.

That's the price you pay for having a burning passion for music. That price is a set of cymbals every ~2 years

see

sounds like you need new band members and possibly less drugs

>TFW parents saved up to get me a new kit because mine was like 3rd hand
>TFW I'm trash at drums and feel guilty every time I play.
They could have spent the money on something else.