The Thing

Just a friendly reminder that this masterpiece exists.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JhgJ82sDDuU
youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo
youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MbJNlJ5yVUk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just a friendly reminder Childs was infected

i like to think that deep down the thing is in all of us

aside from capeshit this is the most discussed movie on Sup Forums true or false?

Is Star Wars capeshit?

It really is amazing.
One of the only films on Sup Forums I haven't seen people talk shit about.

don't bait the contrarians please, nothing is sacred to them

just a friendly reminder that the entire world would've been infected in a little over 3 years had it reached another continent.

Imagine how chaotic the world would've been during that whole time.

self-build flame throwers everywhere

antarctica is pretty much the only plausible place THE THING can occur, short of a space station

consider that it can take over birds and fish as well. Only at the lifeless research station did it have no other option.

I watch it at least once a year, maybe more.

From the soundtrack, to the characters, the camerawork, and the sense of isolation, it's in my top five horror films of all time.

Just so we're clear though, I ain't goin' with Windows.

We wuz Things.

What other Carpenter movies are worth seeing?

Can you provide your top 5 please? I would say the Thing is certainly one of the best, interested in your other 4 films.

They Live

Honestly, it's Top 10 film ever. Easily.

Factoring in quality and accessibility, you should watch in this order:
They Live
Big Trouble In Little China
Halloween
Escape From New York
In The Mouth Of Madness
Assault On Precinct 13
The Fog
Prince Of Darkness
Christine
Darkstar
Vampires

Then if you still crave some John Carpenter after that, you can watch the rest of his movies that look appealing to you in whatever order you see fit.

thanks man

the only iteration of this meme i've ever, ever found funny

good job

Listen to the commentary track if you have access to it.

John and Kurt are actually watching the movie intently unlike a lot of shitty commentaries that I've listened to.
John explains all sorts of technical aspects about the shoot as they come up in the film and Kurt is actually listening and responding to it. Their chemistry is great.
When they do go off on anecdotes, they don't talk over any scene you wanna listen to them talk about.

>putting Keith David in the same trough as nigga thug fucking shits

i'll slap you

it's currently up on youtube for anyone interested
youtube.com/watch?v=JhgJ82sDDuU

Even the husky was a great actor. Never looked at the camera.

>youtube.com/watch?v=JhgJ82sDDuU
thanks

Neither Childs or MacReady were infected.

no shit, dude.

Hey fuck you Palmer. Who says I wanna go with you?

My favourite movie of all time, I think I've honestly seen it around 15 times by now. Great, great movie.

>masterpiece
I have no qualms about describing that movie with that word.

Same thing here.

Best scene incoming, also my favourite scene in any horror film youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo

Eh. I prefer to think Child's was infected.

And Deckard is a replicant.

what game is this

>vampires that low
end thyself

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!

Fun fact: they wanted Lee Van Cleef as Garry. Imagine him delivering that line.

I watched the 2011 version for the first time yesterday

It may be a pleb question, but was everyone infected aware of it, or was the thing more like an parasite waiting for its chance to strike?

I guess that they first don't know that they're infected. Then at some point the Thing completely takes you and controls the body and mind.

Is the 2011 really that bad? I'm curious to watch it.

>whole point of The Thing is that it perfectly replicates people and the characters have no idea who it is
>have The Thing run around as a grotesque monster the whole movie

>one of the major draws of The Thing are the practical effects
>make everything CGI

You really have to try to fuck up this badly.

>Is Star Wars capeshit?
it is on the same level of lameness. It appeals to the same sad and pathetic losers.

They had real practical effects and models made but the studio used CGI instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

its completely fine imho

gross

As far as remakes go its not too bad, the ending is pants on head retarded though because bad ends like the original thing cant happen in 2011.
Also
What he said

cheaper

I have no evidence, but to me this similar to Invasion of the body snatchers; the creatures have all the memories of their host but a new set of intentions and they are very much aware of it. So they behave like their original because of instinct to blend in but their consciousnes is alien.

as a stand alone monster movie, i wouldnt say its that bad.

It cant hold a candle to carpenters version, but if you just watch it without comparing everything, its pretty entertaining for itself.

Honestly, I don't see what's so bad about invasion of the body snatchers. Everyone living as one in peace, no war no crime, no poverty. Sounds like a utopia desu.

I was shocked to read after watching the 2011 movie that all the effects ware done traditionally but some retards decided at the last minute that everything should be patched up with CGI. The movie was mediocre either way but it could have actually looked good, the set photos of the thing in action look fucking amazing compared to the finished product.

nah

Well, looking at the life I live it probably wouldn't make much difference if I was alien or not. So I for one welcome my new body snatching overlords.

Will they ever release the non-cgi version, bros? thinking about what could have been is painful ;_;

Friendly reminder that The Thing isn't some obscure movie and I'm sure nearly everyone on Sup Forums is well aware of how good it is.

Keep in mind this is in no particular order, and definitely my personal favorite list. I can almost guarantee I won't have too many that agree on it.

In no particular order:
>The Thing
>Session 9
>Alien
>Jacob's Ladder
>Let The Right One In

Migut sound odd, but I find all of those films extremely comforting. They're like a good book you love, or a grilled cheese made by your mother.

I never get tired of watching them.

I'd move up in social standings!

Friendly reminder that it's okay to talk about "popular" things you hipster geek.

Go to bed Ridley.

Krill and Algae exist in high numbers there. Just imagine the ice breaking and it infecting a whale.

The whale watching tour is infected by willzyx

What do you think the thing would do if it got to the mainland? do you think it'd still be really stealthy or would it just rampage through cities and shit like a wave of flesh, teeth, tentacles, and god knows what else?

i consider the film slither as being what happens when the thing hits a populated area

>the thong

>tho thong

Thanks for the reminder but I watched it 2 days ago.

>tfw the Thing just wanted to fly back home but the humans kept attacking it so it was forced to defend itself the only way it could

destination was never revealed

it could have just been trying to fly to a more inhabitated

If that was the reason why fucking build a space ship and no just use the helicopter?

The Helicopter had already left hadn't it?

Reminder that this was the Thing's real intention

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MbJNlJ5yVUk

is a helicopter suitable for blizzard conditions or an alien vehicle design that is capable of god knows what

how exactly is kerosine supposed to get you to another solar system?

Nope. It use the helio parts to build the space ship.

It takes parts from the chopper and the tractor.

Checked

Also, know your meme

>Watch 2011
>End of film, the creature attempts to open a dialogue for the first time
>Perhaps it means to explain how this has all been a horrible misunderstanding and there's still time for it to share it's unlimited clean power source with the humans
>Bitch torches it because 'muh feels'

Shieee

Anyone pre-order this? I still don't know... 2k transfer from the HD-DVD or Blu ray?

YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT MEW THAT WAY.

MEW IS LIFE
MEW IS LOVE

As much as I dislike many aspects of the remake that scene where it forcefully skin-grafts itself onto the poor bastard was some legit horror.

Why did Norris-thing suddenly broke his disguise and attacked?

best poster coming through

Way better in the original with just simple makeup.

Yeah, fuck you too!

I don't like the cover art.

Don't you get it? Everyone was THE THING!