The Dark Elf Trilogy by RA Salvatore

The Transall Saga

All quiet on the western front

the shadow of the wind

THE NAME OF THE WIND

KVOTHEKVOTHEKVOTHE

Lord of the flies

House of Leaves

Everything by Franz Kafka. Even though he did not live to finish any of his three novels (Der Verschollene, Das Schloss and Der Prozess) they are still worth the read and not really comparable to anything else. The atmosphere and suspense he was able to create is unique. His novellas, short storys and letters are a must read as well.

Is the dune series really worth getting into? It looks really good but there's so many damn books. Is there like a drop off in quality with the later books?

Read the metamorphosis a little while back. Crazy good book, the ending really leaves you thinking.

dunno all i read was god emperor and it was a pile of shit.
the author desperately tries to explore the notion of a godlike being who can see the future but fails completely

Salvatore has been my favorite author since I first read the Icewind Dale trilogy in middle school. Been hooked on the Drizzt series since. Everything of his that I've read has been great.

If only Rothfuss would release the 3rd book sometime this decade. The man makes George R. R. Martin look fast.

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series - first 3 are fantastic, 2nd set of 3 aren't quite as good.
Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy and Lightbringer series are both incredible.
If you like mechs, The Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy by Robert Thurston is great. Overall a lot of the Battletech/Mechwarrior stuff is solid.
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files are really good as well, even if not "god tier".

Favorite book

Mein Kampf

That's weird, a few people I know said that God Emperor was really good... I know for a fact that the first is good so I may as well start there and see what I think.

Slaughterhouse 5

The Dune Trilogy is a must read, imho... I also read the pseudo sequels written by the author's son after his death. While enjoyable and worth reading, they are not quite on par with the original trilogy, which I found captivating, certainly on par with LOTR.

Honestly people need to read the original I Am Legend. So much fucking better than that trash 2007 movie with Will Smith

The first book is epic but the ones after we're written by Herbert's kid and not as good, iirc.

Papillon - Henry Charierre

I wasn't impressed with mistborn.
It was decent but never excited me.

I loved warbreaker.

The way of Kings so far is really good.

Rendezvous with Rama

>Salvatore has been my favorite author since I first read the Icewind Dale trilogy in middle school. Been hooked on the Drizzt series since. Everything of his that I've read has been great.
you...you cant be serious...
salvatore is literally schlock. if youre looking for something at salvatore level i suggest CS goto.

So I should stick to the original books then? Are the other series worth reading?

Honestly, I really liked the Hunger Games series. I thought they were well written and entertaining

I haven't read a good book for ages... Where should I start again?
As a kid, I used to devour fanatsy series like waylander and (I shit you not) guardians of ga hoole or whatever it was.
Had to read loads of french litterature but that mostly wasn't fun (french exams in France coz I m french)
My favourite french book I read at that time was probably "L'écume des jours" by Boris Vian
Anyway, gotta start with something not too hard you know, but catchy

All of Dune is good. Anything written by Frank Herbert's son is not nearly as good, but still readable.

The first one was so incredible I devoured all of them in about 4 months when I was in 8th grade. I don't read a lot of them anymore, but once every two years or so, I burn through the first three. Just incredible reads.

The Silmarillion - unparalleled brilliance.

I will say on a general note, I've noticed that a lot of series start out good but don't seem to stay good up to the end.

The dark tower is a good example of that.
I thought the first one was great, but by the end I was really just wanting it to be finished so I could stop reading it.

No Robert Jordan?

The Wheel of Time series is awesome(if confusing because of its extreme scope and amount of characters)

I'm kind of on the fence with the Hunger Games series. It's decent imo but much more tailored towards kids looking for a violent book. I compare that and the Golden Compass series a lot and I kinda liked that one better. I think the dystopia setting is really overdone as of late, kinda driven into the ground by hunger games and allegiant series.

The Holy Bible

I'd say it's because of your own imagination
You start a series, it's full of mysteries, you imagine incredible possibilities
Then once it gets towards the end, it doesn't quite fit the end you were expecting or wanted...

Just a suggestion though

>starship troopers
yes

Most of Philip K. Dick's books.

Oh yeah I really liked the part where the main character died

See the post right above you.

It's another one that started great.
The first 3 books, absolutely fantastic. Then it goes downhill from there.
Still good, and worth reading, but... Not truly great.

Teachings of Don Juan

My fav's:

Drugs Without the Hot Air by Davit Nutt. 1st
Ketamine: Dreams and Realities

Topkek

Exactly. Authors will add little details and arks to their story as they write and it changes the whole thing so much that the end they were hoping for is just too farfetched or out there to come back to so they have to start coming up with different stuff.

Dune itself is a must-read, and it's perfectly readable as a stand-alone book. The second and thirds books in the series - Dune Messiah and Children of Dune - are definitely worth considering too. I haven't read the ones after that but I've heard the quality drops off pretty quickly.

On the bounce

The Brothers Karamazov

This is perfect description.
Dune is beauty, the 2nd and 3rd while great can't stand up to a titan

Read the first Wheel of Time. Noticed halfway through it was a blatant ripoff of Fellowship of the Ring. Looked it up and the author admitted it.

Fuck Robert Jordan.

"The Abyss Beyond Dreams" and its incredible sequel "A Night Without Stars". Peter F. Hamilton is my new favorite author. Its Sci-Fy stuff.

Don't know if it's quite god-tier (actually I don't like that phrase, too hyperbolic), but is significant--Neuromancer. All of Gibson's books are pretty good.

The entirety of the Magician Series

No fucking way. Someone else read this? Gary Paulsen is the shit. I'm sure everyone here has read Hatchet. Also the best sci-fi book in history is The Forever War. Man Plus could have been better. Ring World is too 70's. Ender's Game is pretty awesome.

The Things They Carried, by Tim O' Brien

>Naruto
But yeah, and the the atmosphere feels sort of cringy when the author wants you to feel like it's serious and catchy but it's actually not
You're thinking "what are you doing, just get to the point", stuff like that and then you're not into it anymore

The Book Thief
I Am The Messenger

Most recent books I've read and really enjoyed then both. I really like Markus Zusak's writing to be honest.

This was a surprisingly enjoyable read

Infinite Jest

The Power of One

Everything by Richard K. Morgan. Especially the Takeshi Kovacs novels.

SOMEONE NOTICE ME PEASE
Don't have pics, I m on my phone

Book of the New Sun

Transall sagas so great, sparked my interest in scifi back in middle school. Never thought anyone else had read it either

my GF was super into that, had me read it. I coldn't groove on it though... just seemed super boring.

A good fantasy book to get you back into reading is Name of the Wind. Easy to read and follow, and has elements from multiple genres I would say.

Malazan Book of the Fallen for sure. The Black Company is a close second. If graphic novels count: Watchmen.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is amazing. I'm on my 4th read through.

Perfect in every way.

Interest piqed

Have you read it?
Maybe watched the movie too?
The movie is fantastic too, and I don't usually like the older films.

The recluse saga.
By L. E. Modessit Jr.
It's a really good series, and an interesting read because several of the books tell the same story but from the perspective of the different characters. So the role of hero and villan change depending on which book you're reading.

I don't really read fantasy books so I can't help you there. If you like books about nature, the old American west, revolutionary war, some sci-fi, or the American Civil War try Gary Paulsen. All of his books are gold. And if you don't care for that do a Google search for 1970s sci Fi novels. They're mostly really good. Especially The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

It's kind of a subtle read, and of more value to people who themselves write. His insistence on not inventing any new words for fantastic concepts, and instead mining ancient lexicons for appropriate terms, was neat. And once you figure out the narrator is unreliable you are rewarded for reading more closely.

The story isn't terribly exciting, but the the writing is very good.

1984 is the shit

You guys should check out 'The Faithful and the Fallen' by John Gwynne. Last one just came out a month ago, good series, really enjoyed it.

It's truly an amazing book if you read it from the perspective of a history book and put the ancient alien spin on it.
As a religious text it sucks a bag of dicks m

Yes, but scary--a little too prophetic.

Damn dude, spoilers.

THE BIBLE, 'cause y'all need Jesus.

Yeah, I guess. It's also a source for so many stories/books. It's like that South Park episode, 'the simpsons did it' of books.

The only direct influence we know Jordan has acknowledged is Tolkien: "The only deliberate connection between WOT and any other modern fantasy was giving the first 100-odd pages of TEOTW a Lord of the Rings-esque flavor, to start people off in familiar territory." [from Dublin talk, 11/93, Emmet O'Brien]

Doesnt sound at all like plagiarism bub....

Plus one on Neuromancer. I think that William Gibson defined the cyber punk genre. Awesome read.

Thanks for the suggestions bros

>As a religious text it sucks a bag of dicks m

That just means you don't understand it. That work helped spawn the most successful civilizations in the history of man, and (once its contents became known to regular people and not just the clergy; thank Reformation and printing press) actually got them to go out and help other civilizations just because they believed it was the right thing to do.

Hospitals, literacy missions, deliverance of technologies like, oh, electricity and vaccines and anti-malaria measures and food assistance were all motivated by the ideas in that book.

And I'm not even Christian. You're just wrong.

He is good. The newer stuff is awesome, too.

Right. The secret agents of darkness scouring a farming community at the ass end of nowhere, searching for a plot item, triggering a quest to deliver that plot item to a special location during which the protagonists are separated and pursued by agents of darkness, complete with a narrow escape across a river in fog.

Yeah, totally original.

The Zend Avesta

Also, steampunk. Check out the The Difference Engine.