Playing like Cocteau Twins 30 years after Cocteau Twins: the band

playing like Cocteau Twins 30 years after Cocteau Twins: the band

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DJ7THNGKxok
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dream_pop_artists
youtube.com/watch?v=QWx4AZ7OUOA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Youre giving them too much credit. They don't even sound like Cocteau Twins. Beach House are hot doggy doo and their next album should be shoegaze or they are done for

They sound nothing like Cocteau Twins
I'd argue that no band could sound like Cocteau Twins because their sound is so heavily based around Betty Fraser's vocals

Nah they are great

Agree.
youtube.com/watch?v=DJ7THNGKxok

tbf a huge fraction of music now is just ripping off cocteau twins sound

if beach house did a shoegaze album i'd be so happy

They basically took the sound of Cherry Coloured Funk 2:00-2:25 and ran with it, I don't think it was on purpose though.

That's a good thing. Maybe a great thing.

They are the closest thing we have to Robin and Liz and I am honored to be friends with them.

God, I miss the Twins....

been a while dev

devotion is the superior album

They hardly sound similar I don't really get the comparison aside from being in the same genre.

Beach House feels more cozy in a familar while Cocteau Twins are way way way more ethereal and alien

>They basically took the sound of Cherry Coloured Funk 2:00-2:25 and ran with it

This would heavily explain why this was the first song I could get into by Cocteau Twins despite loving Beach House for years before.

Name 10 artists

if there is a thing that i've learned from this board is that people overrate so much heaven or las vegas. it's a good album but not a monolith of its genre.

False. HOLV is THAT good.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dream_pop_artists
Every one of these formed after 1984

Everything they did between 1983 and 1986 is so much better though. Arguably BBK too.

love the use of "tbf" but I think you need to research a little more into the actual science/technology behind music.

these bitches all use the same effects units.
the Cocteau sound is a fucking piece of hardware. Other bands use the same hardware.

It's also ridiculously fun to pad your sound with a shitload of reverb and delay. Like, it's just addictive. Bands that get into that sound tend to go pretty heavy into it.

Cocteau are only separated by their bizarre/unique vocal stylings. I personally find them overrated as fuck, but I definitely see the appeal.
Beach House appear to be writing much more straightforward pop songs.
They also used the same basic framework for their first couple albums: the same 3-4 synth sounds and the warbly/tremolo'd clean guitar was actually pretty unique to their sound. They created atmosphere with a pretty basic setup.

But seriously watch a demo or two for some reverb foot pedals on Youtube. Even amateurs can make the Cocteau sound within seconds... it's just an effect, breh.

Everyone who was ever on Slumberland

Try 90s 4AD instead

FCC>

this, except it's actually a bad album, sounds nothing like the true cocteau twins peak of treasure through blue bell knoll, no wonder indieshitters chose to copy that album rather than their earlier stuff

meh. every single album the 80s shoegaze fellas did was great, including some of their 90s stuff

Beach House definitely is influenced heavily by them which is obvious. they're not the same.

I like Beach House ... they're a fraction of the level of CT though as should be blatantly obvious without question

Beach House sucks. Literally went through their entire discography and I didn't like any of it. Then user said "dude give it another chance it's so lit senpai!" And so I relistened to all six of their albums. They still weren't good.

meh. HOLV is a 10/10, Treasure is a 9/10

>strum one chord a thousand times under effects
>10/10
>write some of the most simultaneously delicate and melodically elaborate pop music of the time
>9/10
wat

they're a chill indie rock band that made some VERY VERY good songs

CT were game changers who invented sounds that inspire people to this day and inspired some of the greatest albums of the 90s ... and which inspire Beach House

Beach House inspires people like Adele

cocteau twins released 8 perfect albums and countless perfect EP's and are basically the greatest band ever

I also think it's the female vocals that draw the comparisons

But Beach House's female vocals are hot garbage while Betty's defined some of the best albums of the 80s and 90s

Treasure: A Hard Day's Night
::
HOLV : Sgt Peppers

you : a :: big : faggot

Not even, her voice is more raspy and deeper but it's not bad

If you think Treasure has more "intricate" and "sophisticated" songwriting than my favorite CT album you're quite simply too stupid to hear past surface qualities and think "lo fi ambience" automatically thinks Treasure is somehow more "intelligent"

Just a misinformed faggot

this, the songs on HoLV have a lot more going on structurally than those of Treasure. plenty of songs on Treasure have like two chords

nothat an more
onn geess em mee
ooll heroff ollheroff sheror

nothing an more
in geess em mee
ayyy ee ayee ay
X2

smile and face your wife
and that is despise
so many seasons
come and of reasons
againnnnn AGAINNNNN!

your ships are on the shallow oceans of halm
and the defender of carline
your ships are on the shallow oceans of hal
and this is the long lost style of mine
your ships are on the shallow oceans of haaalllm

pour on the rain
changes so of may
now i found you
found you very fair

see it on a fever stream
i want to love a bone abone in me
but its in heaven or las vegas
virgin and ride around to sing this to me

vees a i swear
so ro it ensues
hammer turnings
so say very fair
holl on the rain
changes soap with me
god i found you
found you very fair

see it on the fever screen
i want to love a bone a bone on me
my guessing heaven or las vegas
changes more and ride around to sing this to me
pitchin the sitch in my soul
cause i like the ring of it all
must be when i'm thinking of las vegas
boy its more ride around to sing this to me

oh more its blessed that all
this is not a thing be done
i'm fantasy for a carnival
fentesy tha for a mayyyne

(amazing guitar solo and chords holy fucking shit)

see it on the fever strea
i want to love a bon a bon of me
messin heaven or las vegans
this virgin ride around to sing this to me
pitchin the situoso
i like to think of it all
must be when i'm thinking of las vegas
boy its ride around to sing ths to me

baby baby you will swear
this is highly personal
i suspect I'm singing to a tune
instead i'm finally singing to you to

God I love this song so much

don't feed in between the sunrise and sunset
you'll done the panic heed and all the ready
resemble all the turf
you could be raisin money with your mama
you might miss er when ur round the dressed up with kay
take a two suit and ridddeeee ALooooONG!

Honestly though the same could be said for the inverse. the limited chords of Treasure and Head Over Heels have a lot more intricacies in just that than the longer things in HoLV likely just because the overall song structure of HoLV is just enacted in such an uninteresting and flat way, there's still value in it but at least for me it just flattens the album out so much that I rarely ever listen to it. There's a lot more beneath the surface with Treasure, which is still in all honestly not a supremely good album but is still great.

SEE AND SAW BOUNCE ME BACK TO YA
WILL YOU??????????????????????????

my babys back

i feel my breath
i pretend that i flew away
especially with him
of angel release the day
i feel perpetual
I feel perpetual

problem is once I start HOLV I can't stop, it's perfect from end to end for me.

Treasure has some songs that I just don't like, such as "Persophone"

every song on HOLV is beautiful to me

an day ay ay ay ay ayyyyy
and nig igh igh igh igh to come

melted and sooth our blues
ad-nauuuuuuuuuuuuuusuem

an day ay ay ay ay ayyyyy
and nig igh igh igh igh yeah

oh ways to come our blues
and near skies I am listening to find you

the superior CT release

persephone is the best song you fucking pleb.
only reason why i think u guys dislike treasure because it sounds rougher which is why i love it.

you're actually kind of right I need to listen to it more

I prefer the middle ground between Treasure and HOLV desu. BBK (and their EPs from Spangle Maker through like Tiny Dynamite/Echoes or so) has the darker edge and vocal gymnastics of Treasure but the pop sensibilities of HOLV.

yeah i like bbk. has their best song itchy gloo baby
but far as albums i've been stuck replaying treasure for the last 3 years.

they don't sound cocteau twins at all, besides maybe their reverb pedal being turned up to the same level

sounds like you just googled dream pop desu. most dream pop bands don't sound anything like 90% of cocteau twins' discography. they were in their own world

Reminder that their final album is their true magnum opus. HOLV is overrated shit. BBK did HOLV but better anyways.

>HOLV is overrated shit
was this really necessary? I agree that the follow ups are extremely underrated

>was this really necessary?
yes, it's hot garbage

explain why, and then explain how the following two are different

i'm not him, haven't heard the albums after holv, but the writing is just so simplistic and uninspiring compared to their best material of the 80s, it sounds like a half-assed attempt at jumping onto the alt rock bandwagon and ruins everything i want out of a cocteau twins release

not him but this song shits on every song on holv youtube.com/watch?v=QWx4AZ7OUOA

>i'm not him, haven't heard the albums after holv
that's great, but the main thing I was confused about is how someone could think HOLV is shit and still like the following albums

I asked for an explanation of what makes it different and better

Nah, but real talk, Victorialand is the best CT album.

came here to post this, I feel you

I loved "teen dream"
and "bloom". "Depression Cherry" I was "meh" about even though I really like the song "Sparks"

I like the Moon and the Melodiesw/ Harold Budd. It's a very soothing album.

>I asked for an explanation of what makes it different and better
you know damn well you can't explain in music theory why CT is good.

Thats because they dislike the album just to be contrarian

long, elaborate vocal melodies

>long, elaborate vocal melodies
go on

christ people who say this are the most disgusting pseuds you can possibly imagine

You think hey sound like CT? Listen to fucking Tamaryn.