I'm deeply into prog rock and I want to get into progressive metal but I have trouble finding any "technical" metal or...

I'm deeply into prog rock and I want to get into progressive metal but I have trouble finding any "technical" metal or prog metal I like.

Any suggestions for making a transition? I'm looking for something that is much more prog than metal.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a90HLwl6IfA
youtube.com/watch?v=pnxHu3OSvUM
entheosqc.bandcamp.com/album/le-zahir
youtube.com/watch?v=RelR85j09XY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

I'm in a similar boat to you op. Opeth is the only metal band I've ever really gotten into though. There's some other good stuff like Atheist and Emperor who're good, but not "one of the greatest things I've ever heard" tier.

why would you want to get into it if you don't like what you hear? listen to what you like; you don't have to like everything

Heard this?

Yeah, but I didn't used to like prog, either.

And I was partially inspired to get into prog metal by my friend who likes it and did a sort of "chamber metal" a few days ago for his senior recital in college.

Yeah, I liked Thrak better though. This is sort of what I'm looking for, but maybe a bit more metal.

OP. Tell more about your progressive rock tastes. There's a couple of different directions I could take you on this. Some bands will take the prog rock formula and just make it much heavier, some will include it as one of the genres it shifts between, some is just heavy metal with jazz tonality, there's more rhythmic oriented stuff, all the way up to djent. Need more info

This

Also, what have you tried that didn't register for you (and why, if you know)

Dream Theater's Train of Thought is really good, imo, and not crazy heavy. Just really well put together prog metal. Animals as Leaders also has some really sweet stuff

Leprous

Leprous is if anything quite anti-technical, although I do love them. My thought was to recommend Haken at first for technicality, but if he hates for example, the power metal style vocals, Ross edges pretty close to that on everything except The Mountain.

Magma
Arrigo Barnabé
King Crimson (I do not like anything beyond Larks' Tongues chronologically, however)
Gryphon
Tatsuya Yoshida
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso

Dr. user... I'm Leprous

I haven't tried much outside of a song here and there if my friends send me one. But what really turns me off of a lot of metal is the growled/screeched vocals.

That's part of the reason why my friend's recital was so great--he sings opera and that found its way into his "chamber metal" composition instead of the screeches.

Nevermore
youtube.com/watch?v=a90HLwl6IfA

Metal is ok, prog rock is ok
Prog metal is an abomination
Just dont

Leprous, Haken, Tesseract,
Ayreon would be a good bet to, it's mainly prog rock, but if you listen to The Human Equation, has a bit more of porg metal in it, + the concept is pretty cool and theatrical.

Listen to this album. It's one of the best prog metal albums I've ever listened to

Ok so yeah. Haken's definitely a starting point. You might catch some on their first album, (and one appearance on their last one) but otherwise Ross Jennings is an outstanding vocalist.

Thank You Scientist, while not explicitly metal, might be in the realm of what you're looking for as well. Very technical, and energetic.

I'm a big fan of Leprous, although that definitely dips into the harsh vocals often.

You'd probably enjoy Earthside, they're a mix of instrumental and guest vocals, but it's very orchestrated/cinematic sounding. Saw them live and it was a cool experience, even with pre-recorded vocals playing over the speakers.

After their first album, Cynic largely moves away from harsh vocals and does some really engaging jazz-metal fusion stuff.

Actually Pain of Salvation might be your best bet as an experienced listener of rather dense prog rock, but you've really got to go in with the mentality that it is dense as shit and might not register on your first listen. |
youtube.com/watch?v=pnxHu3OSvUM
This is a pretty good bet of a song though

Also Beardfish. It's almost redundant for the thread because their earlier stuff is just progressive rock, but they transition to progressive metal later and I think it's pretty great stuff, especially on Mammoth and The Void

Ok, thanks for the help!

Images and Words

Coheed and Cambria

This came out yesterday. Great progressive black metal with folk/jazz influences. Check out track 1, 3 and 5.
entheosqc.bandcamp.com/album/le-zahir

>he doesn't like red

some of porcupine tree's later stuff has metal elements

I worded that badly--I like most of KC's stuff after LTIA, but my favorite works are before that

Tool. Seriously.

youtube.com/watch?v=RelR85j09XY