John Frusciante

What are your favourite records of his? What direction do you think his music is going in? When will he release new music? Solo work preferred, but we can talk other projects if you want.
I think The Empyrean is his best record, but i love all the 2004 work, too. Then again, im a sucker for most of it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4a8kApRpQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nigga looks like jesus

bump

The Empyrean is his fullest album and definetly his most successful but my heart sits with The Will to Death and Curtains. Automatic Writing(Ataxia) and Niadra Lades are also at the top of my list.

My favorite is Shadows, this is a masterpiece
youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4a8kApRpQ

has-been

extraordinary talent and creativity though. if it weren't for the drugs he could well have been one of the greats

i completely agree. i don think he has ever made an objectively 'bad' album, including estrus ep. i can see why some people wouldnt like his newer stuff, like enclosure, but a lot of his other electronic work is great.

why is he not considered one of 'the greats', and is every other 'great' a clean living individual?
Surely his talent, creativity, and execution is more than enough to consider him in the highest regard

he's up there, but you can you really compare him to the likes of hendrix, clapton, evh, srv, page, beck, may, gilmour? all drug users but it didn't consume them to the same extent (jimi being an exception because it's jimi).

he's a great player but imo never reached the height or legacy as one of the best of the best, and now likely never will.

His new acid house stuff is embarrassingly bad, why does he want to be Aphex Twin? Stick to pop music Johnny

my mistake, i interpreted it as modern day greats, but i agree. i think there should be more of an exclusive fan base for his work anyway. i would want teenage girls to hang frusciante posters on their walls surrounded by fairy lights and claim they were born in the wrong generation

i can see why you say that, but he doesn't make it for an audience anymore. i prefer his other work, even if i wouldn't call it pop. but in a lovingly selfish way, he's making what he needs to make, which is the intention

Shadows and Curtains were his beat imo. He'd be more popular on Sup Forums if he'd never been in the rhcp and only done his solo work.

All music up to The Empyrean has been fantastic.

Possibly Niandra LaDes

Incredible, inspirational guitar work.

i like shadows a lot too, but its a shame that John apparently doesn't. He doesn't like the high production quality or whatever. Still crazy good though

God I fucking hate this guy.

/thread

That VPRO documentary on him (as someone who's not altogether familiar with his solo efforts) was a hard watch. Clearly talented though and I'm glad he was able to clean up.

The Empyrean is in my top ten albums of all time.

Shadows, Will to Death and Curtains are all up there as well.

Haven't listened to anything of his I didn't like too much besides maybe his newer electronic stuff. I'm honestly surprised he isn't sub Sup Forumscore, at least some of his earlier shit.

Also feel horrible for him about the divorce. No person in the world legally needs 70k per month to "maintain their lifestyle"

Shadows is my favorite, but I like PBX Funicular Intaglio Device and Niandra Lades a lot. The Empyrean is incredible, but I have to be in the mood for it, Shadows just has back to back jams and I think its what he's best at writing.

Maybe not the most technically gifted but his playing is so unique, like he's combined hundreds of his influences into his own style. I mean playing funk rock with RHCP as a solo guitarist takes some real doing.

Guy really needs to get back to playing live.

Why has no one mentioned to record only water for ten days? easily my favorite.

Really wish he would tour live as a solo act but then again people would probably be yelling out for him to play RHCP songs

Really hope he does an interview soon, since its been quite some time since I've heard from him

Lo-Fi masterpiece