Canadian languages

Do most Canadians have at least *some* knowledge of the opposite language?

I was watching some Trudeau speeches and he switches all the time. Surely watching that shit all the time, you'd pick up at least some of the opposite language?

Other urls found in this thread:

www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/as-sa/98-314-x/98-314-x2011003_1-eng.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

French Canadians know english. Most regular non-mongrol Canadians don't have much of a grasp on french.

I dont watch french shit and the PM always has a translator to speak over him in english. Nobody outside of Quebec and fuccboi communities in new Brunswick cares about french. Most of us can at least sort of pronounce stuff in French. Its cringe worthy watching american try to pronounce French words.

I know a fuckton of French words but dick all about grammar.

Canadians think that french is a meme and really only a minority of Quebecers don't speak English

>Most of us can at least sort of pronounce stuff in French. Its cringe worthy watching american try to pronounce French words.
Do you reckon most English-speaking Canadians know more French than, say, the average Brit of American then? Or not much difference?

And does the average Anglophone Canadian know enough French for a conversation? Or just a few words?

Because of the french translations on every product?

Fair enough

Would you be able to hold a basic conversation in French or not?

>Do you reckon most English-speaking Canadians know more French than, say, the average Brit of American then? Or not much difference?
yes , especially younger generations.
i would say like 10-20% can speak french well

>And does the average Anglophone Canadian know enough French for a conversation? Or just a few words?
Not the average anglo but maybe 30% or something.

they're really starting to push french immersion schools and bilingualism, at least where i'm from.

Yes, and because I listen to French music sometimes.

Probably not beyond very simple small talk "How do you do" kind of stuff.

www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/as-sa/98-314-x/98-314-x2011003_1-eng.cfm

Wish I'd gone to a French immersion school desu feel kind of ripped off that I was never properly taught one of my national languages.

My dad speaks fluent french, english and italian and offered to teach me as a child. I decided if rather be riding my bike. The only thing im pissed about is that any decent federal job requires French.

>Do most Canadians have at least *some* knowledge of the opposite language?
most do yeah
in ontario and atlantic canada, french immersion schools are very popular
they're basically schools that force french to be spoken for at least half of the day in class, and put more time towards french teaching and whatnot
I mean I'd never put my kid through it, but it's a pretty great advantage for people to learn to speak it fluently, as a lot of federal gubbermint jobs require bilingualism

however, if you aren't a federal gub't worker or live in rural quebec, there's a good chance that you won't need to use it whatsoever
in montreal, ottawa, and quebec city (to an extent), you won't have a problem getting by with just english, although francophones tend to act pretentious towards you, most notably in quebec city

In my schooling in ontario, we started learning french in grade 4 and it was mandatory until grade 9, but i ended up taking it until graduation because i was pretty good at it so it was an easy pass

tl;dr - most canadians do know some french, and you won't need it to get by in any populated area in Canada

Yes, we all learn French in school, but most of us never become conversational in it and quickly forget most of what we learned.

It's like those Asians who study English in their home country for so many years but when they come here they can barely have a full conversation, even if they can kind of understand what we're saying.

I've been reading Finnish on shampoo bottles all my life, still don't speak a word of the language.

because finnish isn't even in the same language group as most of europe, whereas french is fairly close to english in comparison

Canada is not a bilingual country in practice, official bilingualism was only introduced to appease Quebec nationalists.

don't know a single person that actually learned french from our shit teaching system. 5 years of learning how to conjugate être.

They need to teach that shit from grade 1 all the way to grade 12 imo. Add in some french throughout the day like on the morning announcements and shit.

Interesting, which province is that?

Interesting, detailed post, thank you

Just had a look at Quebec City and it says 94.6% are native French speakers, and only 34.3% are bilingual, with 65.3% unilingual French

But you think you can get by? Do things like service sector jobs require bilingualism then as well?

Fair.

New Brunswick is the only province that is effectively bilingual, and that entire province has a population less than that of Hamilton, Ont.

>But you think you can get by?
for anglophone tourists hitting up the shops and kiosks, it's extremely easy
people there rely on anglo tourism to an extent so there's a fair bit of bilingualism in certain areas and vocations
if you're living there, unless you're living a pretty simple life, people that only speak english would have a very hard time getting by

>Do things like service sector jobs require bilingualism then as well?
in quebec, yes for sure
i mean it's pretty irrelevant for people who run garbage trucks or whatever, but for people who do shit like job centres, place to get your driver's license, etc you really do need it

it was also the only province where the pop. actually decreased in the past 5 years, lmao

>for anglophone tourists hitting up the shops and kiosks, it's extremely easy
>people there rely on anglo tourism to an extent so there's a fair bit of bilingualism in certain areas and vocations
>if you're living there, unless you're living a pretty simple life, people that only speak english would have a very hard time getting by
I see. Thanks

>i mean it's pretty irrelevant for people who run garbage trucks or whatever, but for people who do shit like job centres, place to get your driver's license, etc you really do need it
Yeah that makes sense

In Ontario, learning French from grades 4 to 9 was mandatory, but the majority of the people I know quit it as soon as they could. I guess some of us still know a few phrases, and can recognize words, but the majority of Canadians aren't good with French.

I backpacked around Mexico last summer, met a shitton of Québéquois for some reason.

Those that were from outside Québec City and Montréal were pretty bad at English. They blamed the government, saying that they weren't allowed to take English classes until university, and in rural Québec, it's really difficult to get any spoken English that isn't from media.

Interesting what state were you located? I've seen some Canadians too thanks to their clothing (shirts with a leaf)

In Montreal, most young people have at least a basic grasp of English, enough to understand well enough (even if, in many cases, they have issues expressing themselves)

Outside Montreal, knowledge of English tends to be pretty abysmal, with some exceptions such as Gatineau (due to it being a suburb of Ottawa).

Quintana Roo, me iba siguiendo la ruta turística del Yucatán pero por menos sitios muy turísticos.

The Quebecois were likewise surprised to run into each other.

Only Quebecois have.

Nobody in BC knows french. If I go to quebec I expect they would all know english though.

I mean if they don't I can always talk slowly and loudly.

>Quand les Québécois peuvent parler anglais mais le reste du Canada ne peuvent pas faire l'envers (même s'ils en apprenant en école)

Le Québec souverain quand ?

I forgot most of my French after high school 2bh. I can grasp the basics of what a person might be trying to say when it's written down or put in text but when people speak French I basically understand nothing.

You can have them for Wyoming Dy'marcus. The Nègres blancs d'Amérique will be right at home.

>really only a minority of Quebecers don't speak English
This is false

No
A friend asked me what Le meant

>reading your shampoo bottles

I unironically went into French not knowing what "Le" meant and came out on top of my class.
Fast forward all these years and right now I think I've forgotten most of my connaissance Francais. Ah well, easy come easy go.

Oui le lait le fromage de neige

Yes, the milk the cheese of snow

this further west you go less people know it.
super fucking rare to meet someone that knows it, you get more spanish speakers if anything

Do all Canadians outside of cuckbec hate the french and their language?
I have known quite a few Canadians from Sup Forums over the 8-9 years and all of them hated the baguettes with a passion.
Even if its so, its okay. Frenchies are a bunch of nerds.

In my experience, most Québeckers know some decent English, those in Montréal mostly speak fluent English.

Anglo Canadians in Québec mostly speak something between basic and fluent French, while those outside range from fuck all to eh.

I assume that people in Vancouver speak much worse French than in, say, Toronto.

Yes we all hate Quebec but we also hate other English speaking provinces too. Basically we're like Italy. Regional hatred is big here. I'm from Ontario, so out east we have quebecois faggots and poor maritimes hicks and out west we have irrelevant prairie niggers and dirty BC hippies. Yet they all hate Ontario as much as I hate them, I'm sure. That being said I'll still act like a smug Canadian if you're not from here and I'll think I'm better than you.

You're showing your true colors!

What percentage of non-Eskimo Canadians speak Inuktitut, an official language of two provinces and all three territories?

Classified information. We don't talk about the North with outsiders sorry.

I actually wouldn't care about Canada's FUCKING LEAF flag if they actually included some blue in there.

They just look like a communist meme state with a red and white flag.

Don't you ever get bored in the shower?

Lots of Canadians say they don't know any French, but held up to a burger it's like night and day

French is mandatory in high schools across the country, everyone in Canada knows some very very basic stuff and some vocabulary, (but it's true that few outside Quebec and New Brunswick are fluent or even conversational)

I feel that. Lot of really cool designs for the early flag that didn't get picked, like pic related.

Though I personally would've liked a flag similar to Rhodesias: red bars on the sides, and instead of the leaf the crest of Canada (or just the escutcheon of the crest). That, or a flag with maple leaves on a white field, quartered with the fleur-de-lis and the English lion.

it's one of your official languages tho

You Brits have a quiet contempt for us don't you? You people act like that disappointed aloof father who only calls to tell you that he's disappointment and that your brother is making something out of himself and that you have your mothers genes.

They really should insist teaching french longer and explaining the benefit of speaking two languages to kids.

You're taught it in elementary school, then you have to pass it once in highschool and you can drop it forever, which is what most people do.

LANGUE OFFICIELLE, MA BANDE DE NÉGROÏDES
I'm very Québécois and speak French. I consider myself bilingual, but outside some parts of Montréal and the Outaouais region everyone speaks French. I'd say I don't care all that much about French outside the province, but inside it you better speak it if you move here.

I actually went into French immersion in junior high. I know dick now because no one here speaks French and people in Quebec speak good English anyways.

>import yank game
>has English and French on the back

1982 never forget