Why don't artists commit suicide anymore?

Why don't artists commit suicide anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ssZDehXPc2g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

at least one of them will

Proberly...

its all but confirmed that bowie had an assisted suicide.

they do everyday it's just they're not famous

>implying

it's already been done before, so it's not innovative anymore

Do you have any evidence for that claim?

anonymous sources confirm

anonymous sources confirm you're a loser

Keith Emerson killed himself just last year

Why did Cobain commit suicide? He had great looks, a successful band and a voice people actually paid attention to. He had absolutely nothing to gain by killing himself.

True, but I can't think of a young artists who killed themself in their prime since Elliott Smith.
>inb4 >implying he killed himself

>He had absolutely nothing to gain by killing himself

Unless you've got cancer, people rarely do.

Because they understood that it's really stupid to commit suicide.

I agree :(

Because he was obviously unhappy.
Read his suicide note. It says why he did it.

that still do

Capital Steez in 2012

The best artist to ever off himself, rip

Bored Nothing

youtube.com/watch?v=ssZDehXPc2g

Literally one year ago
;_;

Rihana should commit suicide

I'm probably going to kill myself any day now.

The only reason people do it less is because there's that vague intuitive flare where you just know the punishment is being forced to watch all of your ex lovers have sex for eternity.

capital steez killed himself 5 years ago

He didn't kill himself.

The bassist from that nu-metal band Kitty killed herself a month ago.

It's very rare for any artists to kill themselves. Pajo, Cobain, and Drake are the only ones to even attempt it. The first was very recent too.

What

Are you drunk? Tons of musicians committed suicide.

Honestly I'm pretty bad at the personal lives of musicians, but I looked it up and most of the ones who have are not discussed at all. Tell me some important ones that I missed.

looooooooooool

Keep believing whatever the media tells you. Even though all his family and friends knew that it was Courtney.

Other than curtis, that was fairly obvious. Don't care for joy division tho

Robin Williams ;'(

I can't believe someone is this stupid. This must be bait.

I'm continuing to do research on this. It's not as common as you think it is.

He was murdered.

Cobain seemed like a brooding pessimist and overall depressive person so I think it was suicide.

Well duh, of course it's not too common. How could you possibly think three people in the history of music have ever attempted suicide? I mean that's borderline retarded. Music is known to attract depressives, and Sup Forums frequently discusses plenty of musicians who have killed themselves (certainly more than three). Even if you don't know shit about music history or the lives of musicians, that's such a ridiculous idea to have.

It's extremely common, it's unbelievable how many musicians have committed suicide. Even fucking Eminem has attempted suicide at one point.

Graham Bond, Phil Ochs, That guy from Mayhem, The lead singer of Boston, Vince Welnik (Grateful Dead's 90's keyboardist,) Darby Crash, there are so many.

>How could you possibly think three people in the history of music have ever attempted suicide?

Lol sorry. I was being hyperbolic, of course more than three killed themselves. I was snarkily ignoring those that aren't discussed.

However other than a good few more (Ayler, Darby Crash, that guy from Fleetwood Man) It seems to me that the "musicians are le suicidal!" meme is just that; a meme.

Off the top of my head
Ian Curtis of Joy Division
Elliott Smith
Stuart Adamson of Big Country/The Skids
Pete Ham and Tom Evans of Badfinger
Del Shannon (he of Runaway fame)
Donny Hathaway
Bob Welch of Fleetwood Mac
Butch Trucks of the Allman Brothers Band (who died earlier this year)
Phil Ochs
Brad Delp of Boston
Tommy Boyce, half of the Boyce and Hart songwriting duo, wrote many hits for the Monkees in particular
Albert Ayler
Jon Nodtveidt of Dissection
Robert Quine of The Voidoids, as well as a general session guitarist
Screaming Lord Sutch
Billy MacKenzie of the Associates
Ronnie Montrose of Montrose
Lil' Chris
Rozz Williams of Christian Death
Wendy Williams of Plasmatics
Darby Crash of the Germs
Dave Insurgent of Reagan Youth
Chris Acland of Lush
Vincent Crane of Atomic Rooster/Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Dead from Mayhem
Michael Hutchence of INXS (possibly, it's disputed whether it was an accident from auto-erotic asphyixiation or suicide)
Vic Chesnutt
Mark Linkouse of Sparklehorse
Adrian Borland of The Sound
Smiley Culture

If you're including attempts as well you'll get loads more

Was it suicide?

Obviously he OD'd like a motherfucker but did he really intend to die? Doesn't suit his character at all

satans of truth is that we're all losers

>Robert Quine
Isn't he the guy who made those Velvet Underground live recordings? Shit, I didn't know he killed himself.

Ayo Dev, you're a good bass player, don't do it man

:(

I don't think so, but he was said to have not really cared if he lived or if he died, and was also said to have had a habit of just chugging lots of pills, both prescription or otherwise rather than following the instructions. He did have extreme guilt with having ran over and killed his chauffeur though.

Also I didn't know his last words were:
>"If you don't like it, you can fuck off!"
to his girlfriend after she refused to make him steak and eggs

Because counterculture is dead, people are not that unhappy anymore.
That's why music is stagnant these days, new artists are happy in this world and don't want anything to change.

Yeah, he also did quite a few things with Lou in his solo career. He killed himself about a year after his wife died.

Hmm

Some of these are unconfirmed, and a lot are from bands that I wouldn't consider important anymore. However, it did make me reconsider my stance. I do think you could do this with anything however. Look up "Authors who committed suicide" and I bet you'll find the same amount, even in the last 100 years.

My guess is that it was drug related. People who have no experience with addiction or addicts don't really understand just how much of a difference drugs make.

Most people who kill themselves are on some kind of disinhibitor (like alcohol).

A lot of the suffering and mental illness/insanity that these people suffer through is either due to being on a drug, or worse, withdrawal from a drug, or roller coastering between the two states, leaving the personal unstable for a really long time.

The amount of suffering and personality distortion a person goes through from both drugs, and withdrawal from those drugs, is extremely underestimated in people who don't have the experience whether first hand, second hand, or clinically.

>Off the top of my head
Off the top of your google search, maybe. lol

I think the "musicians commit suicide a lot" is actually conflated with "a lot of musicians die very young." The latter is much more true. As well as the obvious 27 Club musicians (Cobain, Hendrix, Morrison, etc.) a whole load of very successful and very influential musicians died before they were even 30 like Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Tupac and Biggie, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson, Gram Parsons, Hank Williams, Marc Bolan, Tim Buckley, Eddie Cochran. Even more died between 30 and 50, ages that would be considered young for deaths such as Bob Marley, Freddie Mercury, Michael Jackson, John Lennon, Elvis, Marvin Gaye

A number of the ones who committed suicide of course overlap here.

This. I don't get it how people would rather hate on Courtney and make stuff up than think that maybe he had brain issues

Get fucked, he hated being famous

You're not fooling anyone Courtney

Break up the Foo Fighters faggot

Because there were a ton of holes in the case, watch the documentary soaked in bleach. The police didn't really even investigate and just assumed it was a closed case right away even though the way he positioned he killed himself in was nearly impossible and Courtney was acting super sketchy days before it.

Don't tell me you believe documentaries

There's kind of a duality to this. When he was younger, he wanted to be famous. He wanted to make music that would appeal to people. When it actually happened, and he was suddenly skyrocketed into the spotlight, he didn't know what to do. He hated how his privacy was always violated, but probably enjoyed other aspects like the money. Eventually the constant media presence got to him and probably had an influence on his suicide.

>Jimi died at 27

hurts. possibly the best they'll ever be and none of us will ever get to see him.

I hate how the "27 club" gets so much attention that people forget about all the other great artists that died in their 20's.

statistically artists are more likely to die in their 30s, prob due to the drugs and hard living catching up to them

They don't want to become a meme for edgy teenagers like Kurt.

I agree with you completely.

People always point to his fucked-up childhood and it may or may not have been a catalyst to his picking up heroin, but heroin completely fucks up your reward system and overall perspective on reality. I sincerely think heroin coupled with the experience of being famous drove him into the abyss emotionally and psychologically.

they remmember that they can work too to get some money

I know someone did a study on this and found that statistically the most likely age for a musician to die at was 56, which is still shockingly low. Notable ones at this age include Beethoven, Rick James, Warren Zevon and Charles Mingus

It was more of a late 60s / early 70s thing where a few high profile musicians all died at 27 in a short amount of time. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison (Alan Wilson of Canned Heat too, but he isn't as an enduring figure as the others) all died within a time span of less than a year. Also Brian Jones a few years earlier died at that age. That coincidence started it, then after Cobain it became relevant again and a certified part of popular culture. Of course tons of musicians die young, but that age just stuck because of the original three.

Krist maintains that if Kurt wasn't on heroin, he wouldn't have killed himself, despite all the other shit that was going on in his life.

depressed, drug addict, psycho wife, overwhelmed by not just fame but being THE face of rock music, combined with that stomach ulcer thing he'd had for years that was incurable and had him in near constant pain

or courtney did it