Why was this album so important to metal fans?

Why was this album so important to metal fans?

Most metal fans hated it, though.

It introduced nu-males into black metal

It wasn't important to people that were already metal fans but it was accessible enough that it got some people into metal.

it's controversial amongst metal fans because it was praised to death by the non-metal/'indie' press and as a result there's now a demographic of people who are largely contemptuous of metal but love deafheaven. in a way it's symbolic of the larger tension within the metal ecosystem with safer musics and their fans.
also because it sucks.

Bwahaha who gives a fuck what "metal fans" think?

t. never even listened to this album

metal fans have a more valuable opinion on an album released under said genre than clueless nu-males who listen to indie pop and shitty shoegaze

what are you talking about everyone forgot about it ages ago

OP is basically asking what metal fans think, are you blind?

stop saying "nu-male" or take it back to 7+1chan, it's embarrassing

t. nu-male

If you're asking why metalheads generally dislike it, I think it's because it hardly sounds like metal, let alone black metal, but gets praised as a black metal masterpiece by both fans and critics who don't primarily listen to metal/got into metal with this album or even general dislikes and looks down on metal.

I don't like it because of a combination of what I just said and because it's fucking boring.

I'm a huge black metal fan, and I actually loved this album. I thought it was a breath of fresh air.

t.nu-male that unironically defends Vektor-Terminal Redux on /metal/ and bitches on how elitism is killing metal

>"a breath of fresh air"
blackgaze was already stale as fuck before Sunbather though

Its the Cowboy Bebop of the metal genre. Its just the right of deviation from the typical formula that it appeals to people who dont really like the genre but like this album.It does suffer from the same fate as Cowboy Bebop where it should be a gateway further into the genre but alot of people just stop at this album.

t.nu-male
I get what you mean but please dont compare this piece of shit with Bebop

What's the problem with Terminal Redux anyway and why is it so often linked with nu-males here? I actually haven't listened to it yet but Vektor's past albums were all really solid.

that user spends far too much time in /metal/

just listen to what you like and be happy with it

kys yourself

It was not.

most obvious samefool of all time are you kidding me

>just listen to what you like and be happy with it
fuck off pleb people like you are the reason why this board sucks

only 3 of these are from me
try again nu-male

I'm just confused as to why anyone would dislike Vektor so strongly.

I'm a metal fan and know nothing about it
why should I?

Nope. What really happened is that it gave young adult metal fans a chance to hang out with the hipster crowd. Nothing wrong with the numale label, but no hipster started listening to metal thanks to this.

At the same type, it also popularized a "new" image within the genr, something that hasn't been done since hair metal.

Musically, doesn't really add anything to either black metal or shoegaze, but you know how much people here value image.

yeah i can draw a rectangle in ms paint too

I see why it's disliked so much, but I still enjoy it. metal fans are elitist as fuck, and therefore should not be taken seriously when it comes to their opinions.

t. n00male woke metal fan

Not a metal fan, but I believe the album isn't really important in their circles more than it is important here.

I mean, metal's most important albums probably have an early sabbath album, a metallica/megadeth/slayer album, some burzum/mayhem album, whatever was the first death metal album and maybe something Isis or Jesu, idk.

How about this, sunbather isn't really a metal album. It's shoegaze with metal influences, not the other way around.

If the album had a more traditional black metal cover, nobody would have made a big deal out of it.

You mean metalheads not bashing it or hipsters not listening to it?

Cowboy Bebop is great. Sunbather is great. I don't see a problem with this.

BM-sceamo-dreampop metal was the most interesting thing that happened to BM since Varg became a meme.

ignorance is bliss

It would also be never noticed by nu-male hipsters

>there are still people who pretend to hate sunbather because of image
hilarious

Only black metal "purists" hate it.

Nah brah, objectivity is godlike

it is very much clearly a metal album, fuck off, christ

And try hards

Yep this. This is what Sunbather is in a nutshell

Cowboy Bebop is great and it led me onto a lot of other anime that I normally wouldn't have checked out.

Sunbather is great and led me onto a bunch of metal that I would have never sought out on my own if it weren't for me listening to the album.

Cowboy Bebop is overrated and boring dreck

First and foremost it's a safe entry to black metal without all the edge, but then again what's the point of black metal without the edge?

But waht baffles me the most, it's not even innovative, this kine of shoegazey-dreamy-black metal with feels has been around since 2008 and got stale by 2011. So I don't really know what american hipsters found in this record

How the fuck is Sunbather screamo? If sunbather is screamo than every black metal album is.

t. nu-male falsie
this

B8

t. nu-male

>should not be taken seriously when it comes to their opinions
wew lad

"no"

>muh noomails :(((

It was different and critics loved it so metal fans had to be metal fans.

I couldn't care less about either metal or deafheaven but there's one guy in here who's sameing so hard it's hilarious