Teach a rockist

I like most other people who could be lumped into the so called "rockist" attitude have basically written of the entirety of electronic music as being boring lifeless computer music. What is a way that I can look at this music differently that might help me understand why it has been so relevant for decades now? I want either your own personal thoughts or maybe some links to articles explaining it. Im not trying to force myself to like it or anything like that its just that when a type of music can be so beloved by so many and yet completely escape my understanding, it doesnt sit right with me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4Np9yApXD94
youtube.com/watch?v=w3S7AYNUMZc
youtube.com/watch?v=naEUIj8Ah24
youtube.com/watch?v=ynBtDaUqGjo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You only need one album to learn to appreciate electronic music, Geogaddi.

What things don't you like about it?

Listen to Kraftwerk

Step one: grasp ''electronic music'' literally means everything made with electronic instruments, learn the difference between the major genres.

Step two: ignore this fool

I think a unique way to try getting into it would be progressing through Eno into ambient, into 90s ambient like Chill Out by The KLF and Substrata by Biosphere, into 90s ambient techno like Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada, into IDM, and then the rest. Or just start with Kraftwerk.

You can make sounds with software that you couldn't make otherwise. What relevance does the approach someone takes to making these sounds have to the quality of the music? It's not like things produced on a computer vary harmonically or compositionally in some fundamental way from any other music.

>not starting at the beginning with Pierre Schaeffer

if you like shoegaze, listen to Velocity : Design : Comfort

The repetitive nature (honestly i have trouble understanding the appeal of any extremely repetitive music such as krautrock) is the main thing

For example the song Digeridoo by Aphex Twin. Its one sound repeated for seven minutes and then every now and then theres a beat over it too but it never changes and theres no melody over it, like what do I listen for in terms of musicality?

>inb4 someone hits me with ad hominem. Im just trying to understand not hate on it

I suppose a digeridoo is more about the sound than the note, seeing as the note never changes

What kind of thick skulled person do you have to be to completely write off an entire, gigantic genre with all it's sub-genres? You seem up your own ass.

Holy hell thats a lot of genres, i must be able to find something in there i can fuck with. Anyone got some sort of guide chart?

So theres no single style of music you just cant seem to get behind in its entirety? Country?
Maybe my head is up my ass but thats why im trying to get it out fartknocker

what's your favorite kind of rock?

literally didn't even read the OP

for repetitive music, I suggest starting with minimalism (or at least that's how I got into it). the main thing to look out for is changes of rhythmic layering and textural color.
this is one of my favorite minimalist pieces. it's (comparatively) short, incredibly engrossing, and there's a score which will help with catching the changes, assuming you can read music.
youtube.com/watch?v=4Np9yApXD94
don't worry about sitting through all of it, just stare at the score (or off into space) for as long as you can, then listen to it while browsing facebook or whatever. then if you feel the need to look at the score/off into space again, by all means do it.

Post rock is shit

''electronic music'' is 80+ years of music and the literal equal to ''acoustic music'' or ''string music''

Ok. Let the electronic music create a certain imagery for you or let it roll over you. Follow the beat

I like stuff in the progressive and jazz spectrum. So maybe you could rec me some electronic albums with solos or just more structured stuff?

Cosmogramma - Flying Lotus

check out mort gartson maybe? even my hardcore rockist friend like plantasia

Digeridoo is not the most exciting track, so I understand your scepticism.

Try listening to something later by Aphex Twin or Autechre.

Otherwise, to keep it IDM-related, I'd suggest artists like Mouse on Mars, Farben (Jan Jelinek), etc. Maybe the more organic, glitchy feel to some of it might seem more human to you

Silent Shout would be too weird for somebody getting into electronic. But god dam what an amazing record. Such unique record that is filled with different womanly perspectives. Ranging from a prostitute to mother nature.

Kid, in my view, you just don't like it. And that's okay. You don't have to force yourself to like stuff.
To me, the repetitive nature is cathartic, almost hypnotic in it's relentless rhythms. Where a guitar riff fails to relax me, the dulcet tones of Boards of Canada succeed. Where monotonous vocals fail to distil emotion, the raw, driving and unrelenting beat of Andy Stott pins me to my seat.

But Sup Forums is just gonna be an asshole to you either way. Listen to what you want.

Personally, I'd recommend VHS Head's Persistence of Vision if you want something that's not repetitive, but still has a raw attitude.

Maybe youre right. But id definitely like to see what the style has to offer more.

Top tier thread, honestly didnt think mu would help me out this much

>repetitive nature is cathartic, almost hypnotic in it's relentless rhythms
This

lol who tf made this chart?

Being open minded and not making just another bait thread is a rare occurrence.

>repetitive nature is cathartic, almost hypnotic in it's relentless rhythms

This is what the Field does best.

Why? Its a good general representative of the most popular albums in the major different styles.

Try this

youtube.com/watch?v=w3S7AYNUMZc

>no captions
very useful thx, as someone who would need an essentials charts i of course recognize every album on there

God tier taste user, from here we go sublime is in my top 10.

You can just parse through rym charts on the genres and tags. Lots of great shit.

I personally recommend you to listen to Flying Lotus and LCD Soundsystem.

Holy shit something I like! i like that wonky beat and the overall warmness of it. Will explore this album.

Only 12 of those don't have it written on there and those you could crop and reverse search or get this, ask and start a discussion on this discussion board.

OP here, honestly names next to the album should be a given. Im not gonna sit there and crop and search for albums that i might not even like

It's a lot if you look at it at that level of detail but broadly there's like 10

It's variation os of Trip Hop, Electronica, EDM, IDM (which gets split up into a thousand subgenres), Electro, Beat Music, House, Techno, and Garage.

Rockists can start with Rock music that's electronicky, like Radiohead or Bloc Party, and then move into stuff like Mount Kimbie, that has broad appeal.

Electronic is a means of production and as you're saying, there's gotta be something in there that you can fuck with

not him, but where the fuck did you think this thread came from you fucking spastic

Your loss

So he should ask about the ones he can't read

OP here, so far I have found that I really love this album and would listen to this anytime not just when im trying to go electro. So what would this style be called?

Yup, this was one of the first electronic albums I really got into and still remains my favorite 6 years later.

Good that you like it! It's indeed a very good album. I'd say it's glitchy IDM.

I'll try to give a few more recs I think you might like

youtube.com/watch?v=naEUIj8Ah24
youtube.com/watch?v=ynBtDaUqGjo

Also, if you like the warmness, maybe you should look into Boards of Canada and Four Tet. Four Tet's "Pause" is often called folktronica, it sounds very organic. Don't know Boards of Canada very well, but I guess if you start with "Music Has The Right To Children" you wont go all wrong

rockism has no place in most techno imho. once you realize that EP's and singles are more or less superior to LP's, then you will shed your rockism and become truly enlightened.

also, it helps to actually like music. people who can't into "electronic music" have no business consuming art in the first place.

>people who can't into "electronic music" have no business consuming art in the first place.

wise words from a complete and probably autistic stranger on Sup Forums, thanks.

i'm just imagining some newfriend who listens to swans on repeat finding it difficult to get into "electronic music." there is such a diverse fucking range of music outside of rock it's not even funny.

Shut up retard, no one understands it that way.

Its the objective definition, dunno what BS one you're using

is hail to the thief electronic music or rock music and what is rock music

My point is who even gives a fuck you uptight faggots

literally the only difference between electronic music and non-electronic music is the instruments used. obviously. but people treat electronic music like a genre. it isn't a genre, its a style of instrumentation.and this is why you dont get it OP. because youre grouping it together as one giant blob - you arent even thinking of it right at a fundamental level. you dont go around asking people how to look at harpsichord music differently and understand its relevance. you just go, wew its a harpsichord that sounds pretty nice. electronic music is the same.

Listen to some Squarepusher he is jazzy
Amon Tobin too

adding on OP, maybe you should listen to switched on bach or isao tomita's debussy stuff or something so you can clear your mind of the false linkage between genre and instrumentation you have for electronic music and get used to the sounds a bit

Not OP, but I listened to this last night and was pretty disappointed.

>Progressive electronic
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete
>Bigbeat/breakbeat
The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land
The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
>French Electro
Daft Punk - Homework
Daft Punk - Discovery
Justice - Cross
Mr. Oizo - Lambs Anger
Sebastian - Total
>IDM
op picrel and Aphex Twin in general
>2010s synthpop
Grimes - Visions
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (II)
>Trap
Blank Banshee - Blank Banshee 0
>Dubstep
Burial - Untrue

Ignore this individual.

u mad?

Not a valid response.

Maybe start with electronic music with vocals and song structures? Like Kraftwerk (though the cold, robotic nature of the music is part of their appeal), or Björk (who incorporated various electronic trends from the 90s and is full of emotion)